Judge Orders Man to Stop Smoking In His Own Home.

A ventilation system is a hole you cant fix. If the entry point of the smoke is not accessible to the neighbor how do they fix it? There is something more complicated about these homes as evidenced by the fact they share a wall.

But, we don't know that right now.
I'm guessing based on the ruling by the judge. If this is not the case then the judge is a complete idiot.

And the lack of knowing one way or another is what is holding me back. One would think that if that was the case then the couple would have known this when they went to look at the house before buying it.
Not necessarily. Depends on a lot of things. This is a couple with a newborn. May have been a last minute decision just to find housing.

Sure. Well, they don't have a newborn yet. It's on the way which may be why it is temporary.

Or it could be a way to screw people out of their property simply because........

If the Coppinger couple wins and Edwin Gray has to pay the money then he would be forced to sell the house.
Court Cases Online

Oh, now wait: The Coppingers are lawyers.
But his next-door neighbors, who arrived at their newly renovated home in September, say Gray’s habits are endangering their health and making it difficult to enjoy their space. Lawyers Brendan and Nessa Coppinger said smoke seeps through a common wall into their home, filling their bedroom and their daughter’s playroom.

I’m a nervous wreck,” said Gray, who lives on disability checks. “I’m a grown man. They passed a law that says you can smoke marijuana in my house. I can’t do anything now. What if I’m in here frying chicken and they complain they smell smoke? She going to send the marshals to come get me.”

Nessa Coppinger, an environmental lawyer, said her family filed the lawsuit out of fear for their health, including that of their 18-month-old daughter and the couple’s unborn child. Coppinger said her basement, which they have converted into a playroom for their daughter, and the bathroom are often full of smoke. She said she has awakened at night coughing because of the smoke. And she said she and her family have had to leave the house for hours to allow the strong smell of smoke to dissipate.

Inspectors discovered cracks in the common wall between the homes. Inspectors also said that the chimney on the Gray home was decaying and as a result was sending smoke from the Gray home into the Coppinger’s home.
D.C. neighbors sparring over secondhand smoke lands in court - The Washington Post

Litigants are lawyers, and at least one's an enviromental lawyer - why am I not surprised.

A ventilation system is a hole you cant fix. If the entry point of the smoke is not accessible to the neighbor how do they fix it? There is something more complicated about these homes as evidenced by the fact they share a wall.

I'm guessing based on the ruling by the judge. If this is not the case then the judge is a complete idiot.

And the lack of knowing one way or another is what is holding me back. One would think that if that was the case then the couple would have known this when they went to look at the house before buying it.
Not necessarily. Depends on a lot of things. This is a couple with a newborn. May have been a last minute decision just to find housing.

Sure. Well, they don't have a newborn yet. It's on the way which may be why it is temporary.

Or it could be a way to screw people out of their property simply because........

If the Coppinger couple wins and Edwin Gray has to pay the money then he would be forced to sell the house.
Court Cases Online

Ahhhh so now we get to it. I was figuring this was a way to get this guy out of this house since DC real estate is going thru a gentrification and the houses are expensive as hell. A lot of blacks used to live there before the change but some, like this guys house, remains in the family.

How perfect is this? Sue for an amount you KNOW he doesnt have...make complaints YOU KNOW cant be proven....and then to pay them YOU KNOW he'll have to sell something of value.

The Coppingers can get some "new different" neighbors

You only think you own your home.

Skip paying your property tax and reality will sink in.

You DO NOT own any taxable property - it's all owned by the commune and you just rent it.

Court Cases Online

But his next-door neighbors, who arrived at their newly renovated home in September, say Gray’s habits are endangering their health and making it difficult to enjoy their space. Lawyers Brendan and Nessa Coppinger said smoke seeps through a common wall into their home, filling their bedroom and their daughter’s playroom.

I’m a nervous wreck,” said Gray, who lives on disability checks. “I’m a grown man. They passed a law that says you can smoke marijuana in my house. I can’t do anything now. What if I’m in here frying chicken and they complain they smell smoke? She going to send the marshals to come get me.”

Nessa Coppinger, an environmental lawyer, said her family filed the lawsuit out of fear for their health, including that of their 18-month-old daughter and the couple’s unborn child. Coppinger said her basement, which they have converted into a playroom for their daughter, and the bathroom are often full of smoke. She said she has awakened at night coughing because of the smoke. And she said she and her family have had to leave the house for hours to allow the strong smell of smoke to dissipate.

Inspectors discovered cracks in the common wall between the homes. Inspectors also said that the chimney on the Gray home was decaying and as a result was sending smoke from the Gray home into the Coppinger’s home.
D.C. neighbors sparring over secondhand smoke lands in court - The Washington Post

Litigants are lawyers, and at least one's an enviromental lawyer - why am I not surprised.
His ass is grass. He better get a new habit.

Court Cases Online

Ahhhh so now we get to it. I was figuring this was a way to get this guy out of this house since DC real estate is going thru a gentrification and the houses are expensive as hell. A lot of blacks used to live there before the change but some, like this guys house, remains in the family.

How perfect is this? Sue for an amount you KNOW he doesnt have...make complaints YOU KNOW cant be proven....and then to pay them YOU KNOW he'll have to sell something of value.

Yep. That's what I am looking for because gentrification is infuriatingly vile and, frankly, inhumane. It's up there with the ever beautiful eminent domain.

The chimney though? I wonder if they can afford to make the repairs.

How Much Does Chimney Repair Cost Removal And Installation Prices

Court Cases Online

Yep. That's what I am looking for because gentrification is infuriatingly vile and, frankly, inhumane. It's up there with the ever beautiful eminent domain.

He should just stop smoking.

Court Cases Online

Meh.

Do you grill?

Court Cases Online

Meh.

Do you grill?
Not in the house.

Court Cases Online

Meh.

Do you grill?
Not in the house.

Do you cook?

Court Cases Online

Meh.

Do you grill?
Not in the house.

Doesn't need to be.
Are Backyard Charcoal Grills Bad for Your Health

Meh.

Do you grill?
Not in the house.

Do you cook?
Yes.

Meh.

Do you grill?
Not in the house.

Doesn't need to be.
Dont use charcoal and certainly not everyday do I grill..

Meh.

Do you grill?
Not in the house.

Doesn't need to be.

Or wood.

The point is that if I can prove that your (general you not you-you) grilling habits prevent me from enjoying my backyard space and is a known health risk then I can take you to court?

Or wood.

The point is that if I can prove that your (general you not you-you) grilling habits prevent me from enjoying my backyard space and is a known health risk then I can take you to court?
Of course you can take me to court. You can take anyone to court over anything. There are people that make a living doing just that.

Or wood.

Of course you can take me to court. You can take anyone to court over anything. There are people that make a living doing just that.

That's pretty much what we are looking at. Here let me check my lifestyle with my new neighbors and seek their approval before I do anything.

I'm sure there are many things that he should do. Even if he quit smoking it doesn't end.

If they get a lawyer then the odds are that they can't make the repairs. Once you start talking Code then there is a possibility that they lose the house anyway. Civil court=preponderance of evidence. One way or the other they will get what they want or force him to leave. And if Edwin Gray stays then anytime the couple doesn't like something they take them to court again.

I understand repairs for a decaying chimney with the house.

This reminds me of a woman who was talked about here a few years ago that had like 168 cats and was ordered to pick around 35 of them to keep and then get rid of the rest because of how much their smell took over the area that her home was in. To me, if there are enough people who complain about whatever it is that you are up to, don't be surprised if you are the one who is told to pack up your things and haul it somewhere else.

God bless you always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

Forum List

Back