Judge Orders Man to Stop Smoking In His Own Home.

Initially I thought this was an invasion of privacy but after learning the details of the story I agree with the judge. Thoughts?

Judge orders man to stop smoking in his own home - CNN Video

"Gray is not quitting cold turkey by choice. Instead, it's by a temporary order of the court that Gray can no longer light up in the Northeast D.C. home that's been owned by his family for 50 years.

"We were floored," said Gray's sister, Mozella Johnson.

Johnson says she was shocked a lawsuit filed by neighbors who moved in last year could now dictate what the family can do inside its home.
They claim they're being harmed by smoke they say sneaks into their home through a hole in the basement."
D.C. man can t smoke in own home due to temporary precedent-setting court order WJLA.com

Probably get overturned if he appeals.

Seal the hole newbies. End of problem.
I dont think its as simple as fixing the hole. If that was the case there would be no issue and the judge would have ordered either party ot fix the hole.. The hole may not accessible to them and allows the smoke to get into the ventilation system.

Since these are houses and not apartments, a homeowner is responsible for maintenance and repairs of their home. If smoke's wafting in through a hole, that's your responsibiltiy to fix. And any effect of leaving something broken or in need of repair shouldn't infringe on the legal rights of a neighbor. You're in effect volunteering to suffer the consequences for not fixing the problem. So anything coming from that refusal is on you, not your neighbor.
A ventilation system is a hole you cant fix. If the entry point of the smoke is not accessible to the neighbor how do they fix it? There is something more complicated about these homes as evidenced by the fact they share a wall.

But, we don't know that right now.

Initially I thought this was an invasion of privacy but after learning the details of the story I agree with the judge. Thoughts?

My initial thought was this was bullshit but after seeing the video I KNOW its bullshit
If the smoke stayed on his property I would agree. its going into the other home. Basically everyone knows that second hand smoke is dangerous. He is like someone with AIDS intentionally infecting others.

I disagree so hard it aint funny.

If they have a problem with the smoke and actions speak louder than words. Not repairing the hole shows it isnt important to them.

Judge SHOULD'VE ordered they repair the hole and stop being controlling ass hats
I should have been clear. If the hole is not accessible to them how do the fix it?

"Gray is not quitting cold turkey by choice. Instead, it's by a temporary order of the court that Gray can no longer light up in the Northeast D.C. home that's been owned by his family for 50 years.

Johnson says she was shocked a lawsuit filed by neighbors who moved in last year could now dictate what the family can do inside its home.
They claim they're being harmed by smoke they say sneaks into their home through a hole in the basement."
D.C. man can t smoke in own home due to temporary precedent-setting court order WJLA.com

I dont think its as simple as fixing the hole. If that was the case there would be no issue and the judge would have ordered either party ot fix the hole.. The hole may not accessible to them and allows the smoke to get into the ventilation system.

Since these are houses and not apartments, a homeowner is responsible for maintenance and repairs of their home. If smoke's wafting in through a hole, that's your responsibiltiy to fix. And any effect of leaving something broken or in need of repair shouldn't infringe on the legal rights of a neighbor. You're in effect volunteering to suffer the consequences for not fixing the problem. So anything coming from that refusal is on you, not your neighbor.
A ventilation system is a hole you cant fix. If the entry point of the smoke is not accessible to the neighbor how do they fix it? There is something more complicated about these homes as evidenced by the fact they share a wall.

I'm guessing based on the ruling by the judge. If this is not the case then the judge is a complete idiot.

I'm guessing based on the ruling by the judge. If this is not the case then the judge is a complete idiot.

And the lack of knowing one way or another is what is holding me back. One would think that if that was the case then the couple would have known this when they went to look at the house before buying it.

Assuming that's the hole. When we had a fire here a few years back I got smoke in my apartment through our shared ventilation system even though a ways away from the actual fire.

You'd think though that after 50 years, if no one else ever complained then these new tenants are probably just anti-smoking fascists or something. Or, white and picking on the black guy next door.

"The couple suing Johnson and Gray declined 7 On Your Side’s request for an interview. Court filings and a statement they supplied to ABC7 say they tried to work with Johnson and Gray, but had to file suit when mediation attempts failed. In addition to the injunction, their lawsuit asks for $500,000 in damages. The case is ongoing."

Looking more and more like a nuissance/harassment type lawsuit. Should send in a air quality team to both homes to sample the air and see if there's really cross-contamination.

$500,000 for what? See now I'm pissed at these faggots. Where is $500,000 in damage? You couldnt get that type of damage if the actual building was on fire

Assuming that's the hole. When we had a fire here a few years back I got smoke in my apartment through our shared ventilation system even though a ways away from the actual fire.

You'd think though that after 50 years, if no one else ever complained then these new tenants are probably just anti-smoking fascists or something. Or, white and picking on the black guy next door.
I wonder why the judge didnt order someone to fix the issue instead of this ruling?

"The couple suing Johnson and Gray declined 7 On Your Side’s request for an interview. Court filings and a statement they supplied to ABC7 say they tried to work with Johnson and Gray, but had to file suit when mediation attempts failed. In addition to the injunction, their lawsuit asks for $500,000 in damages. The case is ongoing."

Looking more and more like a nuissance/harassment type lawsuit. Should send in a air quality team to both homes to sample the air and see if there's really cross-contamination.

$500,000 for what? See now I'm pissed at these faggots. Where is $500,000 in damage? You couldnt get that type of damage if the actual building was on fire
Quality of life. Punitive.

And they want $500,000 in damages. Seriously?

and then there is this:

D.C. neighbors sparring over secondhand smoke lands in court - The Washington Post

I'd like to know what type of mediation occurred before this.

Thought about that as well. This whole thing sounds like harassment more than a legitimate complaint. Sample the air quality in the complainer's home. That'll tell ya if smoke is in fact getting in, how much, and whether or not it's so much some legal injunction is warranted. Though I'd say even if there is, and it's "a lot" tough beans. He's lived there for 50 years, you just moved in. Move back out.

I wonder why the judge didnt order someone to fix the issue instead of this ruling?

Wonder if the judge even had the air quality tested to make sure it's contaminated and not some bogus claim.

And they want $500,000 in damages. Seriously?

and then there is this:

D.C. neighbors sparring over secondhand smoke lands in court - The Washington Post

I'd like to know what type of mediation occurred before this.

Thought about that as well. This whole thing sounds like harassment more than a legitimate complaint. Sample the air quality in the complainer's home. That'll tell ya if smoke is in fact getting in, how much, and whether or not it's so much some legal injunction is warranted. Though I'd say even if there is, and it's "a lot" tough beans. He's lived there for 50 years, you just moved in. Move back out.

Something is jacked up when an attorney is completely and totally cool with it:
I think it’s an excellent precedent to start, so people can realize you can’t just ignore your neighbor,” said Benny Kass, a real estate attorney and Washington Post columnist. “Your home is no longer your castle.”

Didn't read the story; but as the old saying goes, your rights end at the next person's face. A neighbor shouldn't be subjected a man's cancerous fumes.

Feuds have begun over less. :)

full disclosure: I smoke a pipe and would kill people over this kind of thing. Or you know, have them killed discreetly. :)

And the lack of knowing one way or another is what is holding me back. One would think that if that was the case then the couple would have known this when they went to look at the house before buying it.
Not necessarily. Depends on a lot of things. This is a couple with a newborn. May have been a last minute decision just to find housing.

Not necessarily. Depends on a lot of things. This is a couple with a newborn. May have been a last minute decision just to find housing.

Sure. Well, they don't have a newborn yet. It's on the way which may be why it is temporary.

Or it could be a way to screw people out of their property simply because........

If the Coppinger couple wins and Edwin Gray has to pay the money then he would be forced to sell the house.
Court Cases Online

Oh, now wait: The Coppingers are lawyers.
But his next-door neighbors, who arrived at their newly renovated home in September, say Gray’s habits are endangering their health and making it difficult to enjoy their space. Lawyers Brendan and Nessa Coppinger said smoke seeps through a common wall into their home, filling their bedroom and their daughter’s playroom.

I’m a nervous wreck,” said Gray, who lives on disability checks. “I’m a grown man. They passed a law that says you can smoke marijuana in my house. I can’t do anything now. What if I’m in here frying chicken and they complain they smell smoke? She going to send the marshals to come get me.”

Nessa Coppinger, an environmental lawyer, said her family filed the lawsuit out of fear for their health, including that of their 18-month-old daughter and the couple’s unborn child. Coppinger said her basement, which they have converted into a playroom for their daughter, and the bathroom are often full of smoke. She said she has awakened at night coughing because of the smoke. And she said she and her family have had to leave the house for hours to allow the strong smell of smoke to dissipate.

Inspectors discovered cracks in the common wall between the homes. Inspectors also said that the chimney on the Gray home was decaying and as a result was sending smoke from the Gray home into the Coppinger’s home.

Forum List

Back