Judge rules Florida Legislature broke laws on maps

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
Good or bad?

Having a judge overrule the actions of a state legislature. :evil:

I'm torn by this. Yes, gerrymandering is wrong and should be done away with. And, yes, the voters of Florida enacted the “Far District” proposal. But, at what point does the political process always seem to end up in the courts? Now, it will take years to decide whether or not the will of the people holds out. Or the entrenched politicians.

Read more @ Judge rules Florida Legislature broke laws on maps | CNS News

Good or bad?

I'm torn by this. Yes, gerrymandering is wrong and should be done away with. And, yes, the voters of Florida enacted the “Far District” proposal. But, at what point does the political process always seem to end up in the courts? Now, it will take years to decide whether or not the will of the people holds out. Or the entrenched politicians.

When the so-called 'Will of the People' is actually Ill Will then the courts must step in and correct it no matter how long it takes. You can look at Prop 8 in California as one example.

If the political process is violating the intent of the law, I'm all in favor of the courts overturning the maps.

Gerrymandering is always going to go on, but some of it is utterly idiotic. Here in north Florida, district 4 snakes from Jacksonville Beach all the way into a small neighborhood in Tallahassee. How the f*** does someone in Jacksonville Beach have more in common than the neighbor across the street in Tallahassee?

It's retarded.

Okay, so gerrymandering is a political trick to keep the party in power in power.

How do you propose to fix it?

The law was an attempt by the people to do so and was ignored by the politicians.

Good or bad?

The whole point of the courts is to provide citizens a way of resolving differences in a non-violent manner. In this case, the citizens voted the system go one way, their elected officials ignored that and the courts stepped in. I'd say it worked just the way it is supposed to work.

Forum List

Back