judge to Occupy Boston: screw!

I believe the design was on purpose because on the radio I could hear them calling it the "People's Pentagon".

Catchy, huh?

Thats why they canted the sidewalls then.

Doesn't look like a 4ft cant, probably about 18 inches. Either way, with any significant snow on the roof it's gonna come down.
Yeah.

And, we can get heavy snows here, for sure.

I know that lumber isn't cheap. We just spent about $500 a couple of weekends ago to rebuild a shed we have for mowers and stuff. That was just on lumber and our shed is smaller than that. We still have more stuff to get, too.

So, they are unemployed?

I don't know what lumber prices are by you, but that looks to be less than $100 worth of wood.

This is actually not that bad, from what I can see it would serve it's purpose.

You're kidding, right??

The side walls are canted outward approx 4ft from vertical, and the only thing keeping the wall/roof joint from spreading seems to be 4 joists approx 8 ft apart.

That structure is injuries waiting to happen, especially if there is any significant snowfall.

Considering its purpose is to be "speech", I'd think it adequate. As for any injuries, the injured would most likely sue the DC authorities and win all kinds of "redistributed" wealth.

^^^^^

Their parents would sue the gov't for not enforcing the law and thereby "causing" injury to their ignorant children.

You're kidding, right??

The side walls are canted outward approx 4ft from vertical, and the only thing keeping the wall/roof joint from spreading seems to be 4 joists approx 8 ft apart.

That structure is injuries waiting to happen, especially if there is any significant snowfall.

They obviously meant to close off the end walls, That alone would provide sufficient sheer strength to keep it up under any conditions it would be likely to encounter. However were it empty and not tied down it would roll over in a high wind but it would remain fairly intact. The roof structure has sufficient triangular bracing to keep it's shape and a steep enough pitch to shed heavy snow, also any source of heat would melt the snow off of an uninsulated roof. I cannot tell from the picture but i also suspect it was partially prefabricated and put together with screws. If it was screwed together it was not going anywhere under any circumstances.

If they meant to close off the end wall, why didn't they put up studs to support the joist??

No, they meant to leave it open, just like the group in Zamboni Park left the end wall open in their library, so that all were free to enter.

Your eye is off. Just by looking at the front OSB, you can see its only leans out a foot. With some CJs it could hold a good load.

Look at the top of that front piece compared to the bottom. The top is much wider than the bottom, and I would put the bottom at 1ft wide. Without being up close and personal, I think the top is 3.5 - 4 ft wider than the bottom.

Maybe 18 inches as earlier suggested. The top of the sheet is only two to two and a half feet. Sheets are 4 wide and it isnt there. I would still guess the foot though. If everything is fastened properly it could still take a good load.

Did you catch the benches on the inside? They are the reason the walls are leaned outward to make a tilted back, The more I look at it the more clever this little building appears to be, this was no spur of the moment thing, somewhere along the line someone put some careful thought into this shelter.

Look at the top of that front piece compared to the bottom. The top is much wider than the bottom, and I would put the bottom at 1ft wide. Without being up close and personal, I think the top is 3.5 - 4 ft wider than the bottom.

Maybe 18 inches as earlier suggested. The top of the sheet is only two to two and a half feet. Sheets are 4 wide and it isnt there. I would still guess the foot though. If everything is fastened properly it could still take a good load.

Did you catch the benches on the inside? They are the reason the walls are leaned outward to make a tilted back, The more I look at it the more clever this little building appears to be, this was no spur of the moment thing, somewhere along the line someone put some careful thought into this shelter.

Actually it showed some very strong fundamental framing. It wasnt slapped together. Real carpenters building it.

You're kidding, right??

They obviously meant to close off the end walls, That alone would provide sufficient sheer strength to keep it up under any conditions it would be likely to encounter. However were it empty and not tied down it would roll over in a high wind but it would remain fairly intact. The roof structure has sufficient triangular bracing to keep it's shape and a steep enough pitch to shed heavy snow, also any source of heat would melt the snow off of an uninsulated roof. I cannot tell from the picture but i also suspect it was partially prefabricated and put together with screws. If it was screwed together it was not going anywhere under any circumstances.

You know how I know you haven't built anything?

You don't leave an opening that big and then close it off later if you were intending to have it framed and sided from the get-go. It's easier to actually frame it out while you are going, even for people who have never done it before.

No, that opening was left on purpose. And if you think they were going to cover it with OSB....OSB can't handle a load.

Last edited:

Here's your clever design.

relief%20tent.jpg

They're trying to make a tent out of wood.

Everyone is getting Sick of it. It's Dying on the Vine, Even the press has realized they should not have hitched their wagon to that Band. To Radical, To Extreme, To Communist. The Normal people who were just upset about things have long sense fled the Core of Radical loons.

Next

You're kidding, right??

If they meant to close off the end wall, why didn't they put up studs to support the joist??

No, they meant to leave it open, just like the group in Zamboni Park left the end wall open in their library, so that all were free to enter.

The roof structure is a truss arrangement, it needs no studs to support the gable end and it does not seem to be finished, carpenters frequently leave a wall open until the last minute to make it easier to bring materials inside.

Actually it showed some very strong fundamental framing. It wasnt slapped together. Real carpenters building it.

Not unless they were being paid Davis-Bacon scale.

Absolutely Spot on Decision by the Judge. Our Rights do not allow us to Infringe on the Rights of Others. We can not occupy Public or Private Property like OWS has for Extended periods of Time, Disrupting everyone around it, and everyone's access to it, And try and say that is our right to do.

Get a Permit, Hold a march, Do a one day sit in. What ever, but Occupying is not Protesting, It's Criminal.

Wait till Officer Crowley gets there! Then they'll be sorry!!

wait til you see what's left of the green way! then you'll be sorry.

can i see you on the porch, please?

It won't be any more of a mess than Copley Square is after some stupid Celtics Victory Parade or the Marathon.

there's not much grass in copley square, and there's even less on the greenway, now.

You're kidding, right??

You don't leave an opening that big and then close it off later if you were intending to have it framed and sided from the get-go. It's easier to actually frame it out while you are going, even for people who have never done it before.

No, that opening was left on purpose. And if you think they were going to cover it with OSB....OSB can't handle a load.

Please quit trying to make yourself look foolish, I know exactly what I am talking about.

It was the correct and proper thing for the judge to do.

Get this, a squatter here in DC has filed a suit with the District for their razing of the house (well, the house frame, so far) the squatters constructed on McPherson Square. Prime, really prime, real estate they confiscated to build their "house".

The court agreed that the Park Police were wrong because they did not give the squatters proper notice.

Proper fucking notice? Not to confiscate real estate? :wtf:

Whoa, wait a minute. The shitters started to build a house on land they didn't own, and without permits or blueprint approvals, and the court said the Police were in the wrong??

:cuckoo: :cuckoo: :cuckoo:
I shit you not.

Here is a pic of what got razed Sunday night.

Squatterhouse.jpg

And, here's the suit about proper notice: Occupy DC Wins Legal Victory On Camping In McPherson Square

huffpo has a very broad definition of victory.

The roof structure is a truss arrangement, it needs no studs to support the gable end and it does not seem to be finished, carpenters frequently leave a wall open until the last minute to make it easier to bring materials inside.

Not a truss, that's merely a triangle. To get the strength of a truss you would need at least two more internal braces to give it the rigidity you need. That is a flexi flyer they've made. Any kind of load and it would flex inwards then collapse as the stresses built up on the joints.

Please quit trying to make yourself look foolish, I know exactly what I am talking about.

Oh, so you typically leave an 8ft opening that serves no purpose when you intend to close it off later?

The only foolish one here is you, saying that they intended to close off their "garage".

Imagine, occupation is not speech but money is. Pacs and individuals can spend unlimited money to influence our politics but they are putting limits on speech when it comes to the only way to counter the big money.

Please. How is telling people that they cannot commandeer land limiting speech?

Oh wait, you don't know the difference between setting up housekeeping on someone else's property and written or verbal communication? That could explain a lot.

When faced with a 1st amendment question of money as speech, the SCOTUS issued a very broad and permissive opinion.

When faced with a 1st amendment question on in-person protest as speech, it seems conservatives would have them hand down a very broad and restrictive opinion.

Not coincidentally both decisions make it easier for the big money to shout down the rabble. I have no doubt of how the Roberts court will decide on any free speech question that would arise from the occupy movement.

uh, suffolk superior court isn't the supreme court. it isn't even the highest court in mass.

keep it under your hat; i'm sure there's plenty of room.

:eusa_shhh:

I shit you not.

Here is a pic of what got razed Sunday night.

Squatterhouse.jpg

And, here's the suit about proper notice: Occupy DC Wins Legal Victory On Camping In McPherson Square

Well, it's no wonder they didn't get their blueprints looked at. It would never have been approved. The way the side walls are canted outward, it would have collapsed before they finished constructing the roof.

When they wanted the design, they must have gone to Andrew Lloyd Wright instead of Frank Lloyd Wright. :lol: :lol:

I was thinking the exact same thing.

Although the structure would probably hold 1/2" OSB as a roof. Not much more than that, and I wouldn't want to be in it. But it would probably hold it.

but it looks really cool :lol:

Not a truss, that's merely a triangle. To get the strength of a truss you would need at least two more internal braces to give it the rigidity you need. That is a flexi flyer they've made. Any kind of load and it would flex inwards then collapse as the stresses built up on the joints.

Shhhhh. He says he knows what he is talking about.

I wonder what he thinks of the 2x6 header.

He reminds me of the guy who one time I told him he was crazy for wanting to use 2x4's for his joists for his deck.

"But they're cheaper" he said. :lol:

Forum List

Back