Just Go Away Teacher Unions!...

Teachers have it pretty good compared to many other occupations. Yet Teachers seem to do the most whining & complaining. They get all weekends off,several weeks of paid Holiday time off,and they get their Summers off. That just doesn't seem so horrible. Of all professions,Teachers by far do the most whining & complaining. Look around America and see how many Americans enjoy all weekends off,several weeks of paid Holiday time off,and entire Summers off. So Teachers do have it pretty good. They need to slow down on their whiny greed. It does come down to the Teacher Unions in the end. They force their members to whine & complain so much. Give em the boot and our Schools might just recover.

Teachers earn far less on average than non-teachers with the same level of education required for the job.

That may be true but they receive other great benefits no other occupations have. All Weekends off,several weeks of paid Holiday Time off,and entire Summers off? That seems pretty nice to most outside observers. Look around America and see how many other Americans enjoy those kinds of benefits. The Teacher Unions are only trouble at this point. They've outlived their usefulness. They only stand for greed and political activism at this point. It's time for them to get the boot once and for all. Our kids deserve better.

Can't do it for the children if it means doing it too the unions.

You forget, the unions mean far more to liberals than children do. that or they want kids to be taught a very specific way, and this is all intentional.

Teachers just don't want to take any responsibility for our failing Schools. It's all about whiny deflection for them. They had a big hand in our Public School System collapsing. I know they wont admit this but it is the truth.

Ever notice how the Right Wing constantly wants to undermine working people? Eliminate collective bargaining rights, lobby hard for a flat tax, work against workplace safety and environmental regulations.

Conservatives also want to erode other rights. No same sex marriage. No burning a flag in protest. No real science taught, only dogmatic fables.

Every struggle for equality and freedom and civil rights happens with Conservatives in opposition. Makes me wonder what would motivate someone to think Conservatism is actually something worthy of American ideals.

gee

that's not even a little off target or full of any kind of generalisations or lies. :eusa_liar:
Enlighten me. Tell me of the sterling record Conservatives hold on guaranteeing worker's rights, environmental protection and civil rights. Tell me how Conservatives stand fore-square against the inclusion of dogma in science classes.

I'm a vessel. Fill me.

IF they love the "great deal" that teachers get, why do we have a hard time getting people to be teachers and stay teachers, Libo. Most burn out in 5 years. Doesn't make sense if it's such a great deal, does it? Explain please.

That has more to do with the human refuse that some kids are these days thanks to shitty parenting. No union in the world is going to address that. Unless of course, the argument is that "we'll get you such great pay and benefits and you'll never get fired so it will all be worth it."

INteresting how that misconception keeps popping up.

It's an exaggeration, yes. But without a doubt, it is much harder to get fired than it is in the private sector. Hence all the crappy, tenured, unionized teachers

Last edited:
Ever notice how the Right Wing constantly wants to undermine working people? Eliminate collective bargaining rights, lobby hard for a flat tax, work against workplace safety and environmental regulations.

Conservatives also want to erode other rights. No same sex marriage. No burning a flag in protest. No real science taught, only dogmatic fables.

Every struggle for equality and freedom and civil rights happens with Conservatives in opposition. Makes me wonder what would motivate someone to think Conservatism is actually something worthy of American ideals.

gee

that's not even a little off target or full of any kind of generalisations or lies. :eusa_liar:
Enlighten me. Tell me of the sterling record Conservatives hold on guaranteeing worker's rights, environmental protection and civil rights. Tell me how Conservatives stand fore-square against the inclusion of dogma in science classes.

I'm a vessel. Fill me.

You're already full... of shit.

gee

I'm a vessel. Fill me.

You're already full... of shit.
I can't be disappointed by the lack of articulation. I've yet to see an articulate argument from you or any other Conservative on those points.

Deflections and ad hominems for sure. But never articulate arguments.

You forget, the unions mean far more to liberals than children do.

It's chicken and egg. You won't have a shot at a quality education if you can't get quality teachers interested in the profession and willing to stick it out. And you won't get quality teachers if the working conditions are terrible. Unions improve the working conditions which attracts more qualified teaching candidates.

It's the tenure thing all over again. I can leave my job for private industry and double my income at the entry level. I love teaching and research, but I have kids. The only reason I can justify staying in my job is the protection that the tenure process provides for my family's income. If I can be fired as easily as any other employee, I'll take my chances at the higher paying job thank you very much.

Right now teaching is, and remains a pretty crappy job. Most teachers I know go in by 5am, and don't leave school until after 5pm. They take grading home and spend their evenings and weekends working on lesson plans and grading. They spend a decent chunk of the summer either filing and filling out paperwork on the previous year, or preparing for the coming year. Or, they're teaching summer school to make ends meet because they're only 9 month employees. The parents curse you out over the phone on a regular basis, the students talk back, and the upper administration has deprived you of any tools to maintain discipline because they're scared to death of lawsuits.

So if the State of Wisconsin, or any state for that matter, decides to fire teachers willing to unionize to improve their lot in life, they're free to do so. But good luck finding replacements. The fact you filled the job in the first place is a flat out miracle.

Teachers just don't want to take any responsibility for our failing Schools. It's all about whiny deflection for them. They had a big hand in our Public School System collapsing. I know they wont admit this but it is the truth.

Parents are about 98% of the problem. That's the truth.

gee

I'm a vessel. Fill me.

I do my best not to derail threads. So if you actually want answers, start a new thread.

Kudos to new Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker! :clap2::clap2:

More brave Politicians need to start standing up to the corrupt Teacher Unions. The Teacher Unions have brought our Public School System to its knees. It has become all about them. It's all about getting that cash for them. They don't care about the kids anymore. They also only want to force their politics and social experimenting on the kids at this point. Their number one goal these last few decades has been to brainwash the children and create good little future adult Democrats. They stopped teaching the kids the basics of Education a long time ago.

Teacher Unions now only do far more harm than they do good. It's time for them to go away. The Public School System will be so much better off when they're gone. The Kids could actually start learning again. American kids continue to fall further & further behind other far less developed and less wealthy nations. I do blame the Teacher Unions for this. They have become too obsessed with the cash and creating good little future adult Democrats. They have lost their way. Get rid of the Teacher Unions and our Public School System might just be able to be salvaged.

I know dozens of private school teachers and none of them are in a union. I wonder why they are necessary in public schools. Anyone know?

Look to the average pay for private school teachers compared to public school teachers and their turnover rate. Plus, let me point out that private schools get to pick and choose their clientele. Public schools do not. I have a close friend who has an ED student (emotionally disturbed) student in his class ever day...when he is not suspended for threatening other students, teachers, administrators. He is horribly misplaced but the parents INSIST on him being in the "least restrictive environment". So this student threatens others, makes noises in class and refuses to work. And because this is a public school, the school, the administrators, the teachers have no choice. Tell me a private school that would accept that.
Private schools, at least parochial schools do NOT necessarily get to pick and choose their students. Our diocese has a mission, "All God's Children" which has come down to accepting all applications up to the limit of the school-first come, first served basis. What does that mean? Many classes have several students with severe learning or behavior problems, and no staffing resources. The public schools are actually referring students whose parents don't want them 'labeled.' Nice trick, eh?

I'd compare the turnover rates more favorably between private and public schools within socioeconomic areas, you'd be surprised. Many parochial teachers feel they have a mission to be at religious school. Many private schools, non-parochial, do get to pick and choose students and pay very well.

Not so....that's part of the union problem influencing school policies....in round about ways they protect and promote the "human refuse that some kids are these day".....private schools do not put up with that crap...they actually care about the kids first...

Private schools can easily eject students that won't work or are disruptive. Public schools WISH they had this option. The truth is that the formal expulsion process in a public school is a nightmare because it is guaranteed that once you expel a child, you're looking at a lawsuit.

That's why any conversation about Public School versus Private School is kinda silly. It's apples and oranges when you look at the quality of student involved.

you're looking at a lawsuit everytime you turn around in the public sector.....political correctness gone amok...

whatever happened to local school boards running their own schools the way they want to
....instead of federal level unions and other powers-that-be.....?

we need to cut all Federal funding to schools....and eliminate the Dept. of Ed....the highest help to local schools should be from the State level...

...that would also eliminate most of the union problem....and give the power back to the parents in a community.....(most) parents aren't the problem.....parents today are pretty much gagged by the powers-that-be in the education system today....

Last edited:

I worked with several former teachers who dropped out of the profession for that exact reason.

Parenting, not parents is most of the problem, one that could be very effectively addressed by combining resources of hospitals, schools, and community.

More brave Politicians need to start standing up to the corrupt Teacher Unions. The Teacher Unions have brought our Public School System to its knees. It has become all about them. It's all about getting that cash for them. They don't care about the kids anymore. They also only want to force their politics and social experimenting on the kids at this point. Their number one goal these last few decades has been to brainwash the children and create good little future adult Democrats. They stopped teaching the kids the basics of Education a long time ago.

Teacher Unions now only do far more harm than they do good. It's time for them to go away. The Public School System will be so much better off when they're gone. The Kids could actually start learning again. American kids continue to fall further & further behind other far less developed and less wealthy nations. I do blame the Teacher Unions for this. They have become too obsessed with the cash and creating good little future adult Democrats. They have lost their way. Get rid of the Teacher Unions and our Public School System might just be able to be salvaged.

If the Teachers of the Wisconsin Union cared about the kids. They would be in the classroom teaching them. Not out in the streets calling the Governor a Nazi, and crying about Wages and Benefits the nearly bankrupt state can not afford to continue to pay.

If the Governor does not get his way on this, the other option is to lay off many Teachers.

There simply is no money to pay for their lavish Union Contracts anymore, especially not when you consider they dismal performance of the students they teach.

If the Teachers of the Wisconsin Union cared about the kids. They would be in the classroom teaching them. Not out in the streets calling the Governor a Nazi, and crying about Wages and Benefits the nearly bankrupt state can not afford to continue to pay.

If the Governor does not get his way on this, the other option is to lay off many Teachers.

There simply is no money to pay for their lavish Union Contracts anymore, especially not when you consider they dismal performance of the students they teach.

Here is the Great Weapon used against teachers and unions when they ask for decent wages, health care, etc.

Heck, let's tell the truth....if Teachers cared about their students...they'd work for free, let government run over them with a bull dozer and kindly ask for more. :doubt:

Apparently the best teacher is one who has no self-worth or self-esteem.

gee

I'm a vessel. Fill me.

I do my best not to derail threads. So if you actually want answers, start a new thread.
How do I do that without being dismissed as trolling? How about just the part about undermining worker's rights? That is germain to the thread.

Teacher Unions constantly fight viciously against any kind of standards testing and evaluations for Teacher job performance. I see this in every State i've ever lived in. Teachers don't want to be tested & evaluated on job performance. Why is that? Every other occupation has some kind of evaluation process for gauging Employee job performance? So why not test & evaluate Teachers as well? This would ensure that our children are being taught by the best of the best. Poorly evaluated teachers would see no rewards and excellent Teachers would receive praise and bonuses. This seems like a perfectly fair process to me. So teachers have played a huge role in our failing Public Schools. I know they refuse to accept this but it is the reality. Nothing will change though until the Teacher Unions get the boot. It is very sad but it is what it is.

Forum List

Back