Labour halts Tory law on "freedom of speech" in English universities

When I was in college, they still believed in education. We had speakers of every possible stripe invited to campus--a proponent of the KKK, a Russian communist and other Marxists, Birchers, left wing, right wing, whatever is in the middle etc. Students were encouraged, sometimes ordered, to attend those presentation and later in class the content would be discussed, analyzed, mulled over, contemplated, usually followed by written impressions by the students. The professor's role was not to be pro or con but rather to make sure all the components were included and considered.

The students treated ALL these speakers, even the ones with whom they most vehemently disagreed, with the utmost courtesy and respect. To do anything else would have received swift and certain retribution by university authorities. The principle of free speech and the liberty of free and open thought and expression were in full force. (I don't think it would have occurred to any of us to be rude to an invited guest anyway. Different time. Different and in my opinion much more beneficial culture.)

I don't believe a single student from that era went on to be a fanatical leftwinger, rightwinger or anything else other than a responsible, competent, productive citizen of the USA who was an asset to his/her family, neighborhood, community, state, and country.

And we all got an excellent education.
Its a bit different over here. These people are not a part of any course and have no impact on studies.

They are basically campaigning on a specific issue and looking for an audience. CND was the big one in my day. I expect BLM and climate change are popular now.

But you dont have to go if you have something better to do. And nobody forces you to go.

That would not be tolerated.

Just as science that is not allowed to be questioned is not science at all but rather is dogma . . .

Education that does not include all points of view is not education at all but rather is indoctrination.

Just as science that is not allowed to be questioned is not science at all but rather is dogma . . .

Education that does not include all points of view is not education at all but rather is indoctrination.
I did history and English lit in college. The lectures were from a lot of different lecturers but a lot of my degree was looking up things myself.

In history we studied original docs. In Engllish I drove the minibus to various theatres to watch plays. I saw 3 or 4 versions of Hamlet. All different and several of them very dull. I saw a few versions of the Tempest including the one where Toyah got her tits out.. She was playing Miranda.

I appreciated being paid to just read stuff.

I really enjoyed Uni. We were treated as grown ups..

I dont think I would go and watch a right wing political speaker. I only went to a cnd meet because I was chasing a girl there.

Life is too short.

I did history and English lit in college. The lectures were from a lot of different lecturers but a lot of my degree was looking up things myself.

In history we studied original docs. In Engllish I drove the minibus to various theatres to watch plays. I saw 3 or 4 versions of Hamlet. All different and several of them very dull. I saw a few versions of the Tempest including the one where Toyah got her tits out.. She was playing Miranda.

I appreciated being paid to just read stuff.

I really enjoyed Uni. We were treated as grown ups..

I dont think I would go and watch a right wing political speaker. I only went to a cnd meet because I was chasing a girl there.

Life is too short.
The definitions of liberal/conservative, rightwing, leftwing are somewhat different in the U.K. than they are in the USA.

But I wouldn't waste my time now going to a progressive lecture as I know what it will be comprised of and I see and read what they say all the time in other ways now.

I don't know if many Brits are capable of fully understanding American history and culture or the wisdom of our Founding Fathers. I'm pretty sure extremely few Brits have cared enough to do an in depth study of our Founding documents and the cause and effect that we have experienced as those were implemented through the Declaration of Independence and the U.S. Constitution. For that matter far too many Americans have not cared enough to do that too which is why they are such easy marks and become such useful idiots for those intent on making this a Marxist totalitarian country.

When that happens they will hate it as will the rest of the world that depend on the USA for their economies, but then it will be too late.

Forum List

Back