Large asteroid heading to Earth?

These folks seem to love it when bad things happen to New York City.

Remember these yahoos?

Falwell and Robertson on The 700 Club after 9/11 - YouTube

One of those idiots was a Republican candidate for President.

You should hear what we have to say about CA.

That's some real evul stuff.

As long as you stay away, that's fine with us.

That's a deal.

aside from that

Did you spot the irony in the OP?

Oh, swing and a miss.

What miss?

NASA says they lack resources to even adequately TRACK them.

What else should he say?

Bend over. Kiss your ass goodbye?

It's about the same thing.
:lol:

Do I really need to explain it to you?

:D

Um...you missed the squandering resources part..didja?

When I was a kid I imagined we'd have regular trips the the Martian colony at this point.

Guess Vietnam/Grenada/Balkans/Panama/Iraq/Afghanistan were much more important.

CAPE CANAVERAL, Florida (Reuters) - NASA chief Charles Bolden has advice on how to handle a large asteroid headed toward New York City: Pray.

Does anyone else see the irony?

:eusa_whistle:

Large asteroid heading to Earth? Pray, says NASA

No. I don't see the irony. Did you read the article past the first line?

yes I did, but the irony is in the first line.

:lol:

sweet dark chocolate irony

Not seeing it. How is our inability to protect ourselves from a large asteroid ironical?

What miss?

NASA says they lack resources to even adequately TRACK them.

What else should he say?

Bend over. Kiss your ass goodbye?

It's about the same thing.

Well what's more important; funding NASA, or putting record numbers on Food Stamps? Why don't you ask your President... Isn't he the one in charge?

If you really want a dog eat dog world then we should just save money and issue all poor people AK 47s and ammo and let them fend for themselves.

Poor people already own AK-47's... Well, more likely SKS's, but they still accomplish the same result.

Please PLEASE do not try to divert this thread to yet another gun thread.

Or another "Why I hate George Bush thread."

Try to focus people.

If somebody locates a very large asteroid or comet or other global killer headed in our direction, what would you expect of your government?

Something proactive to intercept and deflect or destroy it?

Or shall we do nothing but pray?

CAPE CANAVERAL, Florida (Reuters) - NASA chief Charles Bolden has advice on how to handle a large asteroid headed toward New York City: Pray.

In the end even the hard core atheist will pray when that's all they have

You are an idiot. Please don't try to project your cowardice onto people that are strong enough to reject stupidy and willfull ignorance. They are the lions..you are the lambs...get that straight.

Can you hear them screaming Clorice??? BWWAAAAAAHAAAAA!!!!

Don't be bitter life doesn't end after you die here on earth.

Try to focus people.

If somebody locates a very large asteroid or comet or other global killer headed in our direction, what would you expect of your government?

I'll shoot it with my 45 :badgrin:

Of course any of us who are students of our modern society see the irony. :)

The fact is, the small meteorites that hit us can and do create massive damage and anybody in those vicinities is at high risk for injury or death. To zero in on it to destroy it with a weapon is pretty iffy. But then you watch movies like "Earthstorm" and "Armageddon" and wonder if we do have capabilities to intercept and destroy a global killer before it hits us?

I would like to think that we would try with something a bit more proactive than just advising everybody to pray. :)

She swings
She Hits
And its a Home Run

What the hell are you talking about?
What's the "irony"? Some private joke?

Try to focus people.

Sure..................let's just shoot it out of the sky, because it's EASY to hit something traveling at 25,000 to 40,000 mph.

Shit.................we've just recently gotten to the point where we can shoot ICBM's out of the sky, and those are a lot smaller and slower than a meteor.

A smarter thing would be to fund NASA with enough money so that they can actually track these things, rather than letting 90 percent of them go undetected because we don't have the resources to track them all.

With the technology we currently have, prayer in the event of a large meteor coming to earth is about all we've really got.

You'd be better off telling a Civil War soldier to try to shoot an FA-18 out of the sky with his musket.

The irony is that if a large asteroid was headed toward New York City and NASA did in fact advise people to pray, some idjit would get upset about NASA invoking prayer and file a lawsuit alleging violation of their 1st Amend rights. .. and Bloomberg would still try to enforce the Big Gulp ban

The irony is that if a large asteroid was headed toward New York City and NASA did in fact advise people to pray, some idjit would get upset about NASA invoking prayer and file a lawsuit alleging violation of their 1st Amend rights. .. and Bloomberg would still try to enforce the Big Gulp ban

Really, that's "irony"?? Quite a stretch, innit?
No wonder nobody saw it. :cuckoo:

I did saw it. :(

Aw Foxy, I didn't mean nobody nobody, I meant nobody normal.
Wait, uh...

,,, I mean everybody was asking what the OP meant by "irony". He still hasn't explained it. I just don't see the leap from an asteroid to a Big Gulp, although I suppose if such an asteroid was coming I'd take one :razz:

I think y'all are just making it up, an early April Fool's joke. :eusa_hand:

Hmmm............... What he was talking about were small bodies 50 to a couple of hundred feet in diameter. Not a 'large asteroid'. While one of these could wreak havoc on a city, it would hardly pose a major danger to civilization as a whole. And we simply have not spent, and I am quite sure, will not spend, the money to discover all of this size of object.

In the end even the hard core atheist will pray when that's all they have

You are an idiot. Please don't try to project your cowardice onto people that are strong enough to reject stupidy and willfull ignorance. They are the lions..you are the lambs...get that straight.

Can you hear them screaming Clorice??? BWWAAAAAAHAAAAA!!!!

Don't be bitter life doesn't end after you die here on earth.

Haven't noticed that many people that eager to check out that idea.:razz:

You should hear what we have to say about CA.

That's some real evul stuff.

That's a deal.

aside from that

There wasn't enough info provided to indicate irony. Now, if you know something about the guy that made the statement that the rest of us don't, let us in on it. Barring that, the irony is all in your head.

That's a deal.

aside from that

There wasn't enough info provided to indicate irony. Now, if you know something about the guy that made the statement that the rest of us don't, let us in on it. Barring that, the irony is all in your head.

Thank you. That was my first impression too. Perhaps someone's unclear on the meaning of 'irony'.

Scientists base their findings on fact (not myth)...most are usually athiest.
For the NASA Chief to say "pray" (even though it's not stated whether or not he is religious) is just a wee bit ironic...don'tcha think?

Forum List

Back