Large asteroid heading to Earth?

What miss?

NASA says they lack resources to even adequately TRACK them.

What else should he say?

Bend over. Kiss your ass goodbye?

It's about the same thing.
:lol:

Do I really need to explain it to you?

:D

Um...you missed the squandering resources part..didja?

When I was a kid I imagined we'd have regular trips the the Martian colony at this point.

Guess Vietnam/Grenada/Balkans/Panama/Iraq/Afghanistan were much more important.
:lmao:

Like going to Mars isn't a waste.

But I do love that you don't get the irony. odd how no liberal has yet.

ok ok

Seems this went over to many heads.

As we all know, scientist just wasted our money to prove god doesn't exist, and liberals love to hate on the faithful, and supposedly 96% of scientist are liberals.

So the irony is a god hating liberal scientist told us to pray.

CAPE CANAVERAL, Florida (Reuters) - NASA chief Charles Bolden has advice on how to handle a large asteroid headed toward New York City: Pray.

Does anyone else see the irony?

:eusa_whistle:

Large asteroid heading to Earth? Pray, says NASA

The irony is that if a large asteroid was headed toward New York City and NASA did in fact advise people to pray, some idjit would get upset about NASA invoking prayer and file a lawsuit alleging violation of their 1st Amend rights. .. and Bloomberg would still try to enforce the Big Gulp ban

Really, that's "irony"?? Quite a stretch, innit?
No wonder nobody saw it. :cuckoo:
Plenty saw it and it's not even the slightest streatch

Do I really need to explain it to you?

:D

When I was a kid I imagined we'd have regular trips the the Martian colony at this point.

They laughed at the Wright brothers too.

In any case..it's only "ironic" to you folks because you think this is a government/religion thing.

It isn't.

It's the head of an agency, who's basically frustrated that he couldn't even complete the tracking of asteriods that might cause the earth trouble because of lack of funds.

ok ok

As we all know, scientist just wasted our money to prove god doesn't exist, and liberals love to hate on the faithful, and supposedly 96% of scientist are liberals.

Ahhhh..... I see. So the irony is based upon utterly unsupported assumptions and prejudice. No wonder I couldn't figure it out. I just didn't assume I knew the beliefs of someone I didn't know. My mistake. I'll try to be more closed minded in the future.

ok ok

Ahhhh..... I see. So the irony is based upon utterly unsupported assumptions and prejudice. No wonder I couldn't figure it out. I just didn't assume I knew the beliefs of someone I didn't know. My mistake. I'll try to be more closed minded in the future.

In any case..it's only "ironic" to you folks because you think this is a government/religion thing.

It isn't.

It's the head of an agency, who's basically frustrated that he couldn't even complete the tracking of asteriods that might cause the earth trouble because of lack of funds.

They are getting 16 Billion this year, about the same that they have been getting since 1990, taking in the decrease of the dollars value

Can't obama just wave his hand and make it disappear?

If you think that your government can do anything to stop an asteroid from hitting the earth you have seen too many movies. Despise what CNN says, asteroids have nothing to do with global warming.

When an asteroid enters the atmosphere, tremendous heat is generated, adding to global warming!

(joke)

Without sounding like a conspiracy theory, isn't it asking us a bit much to believe that the two 'asteroids' coming so close to Earth (rare) and even colliding with it (very rare) are merely a coincidence, not at all related?

It isn't.

They are getting 16 Billion this year, about the same that they have been getting since 1990, taking in the decrease of the dollars value

We are doing plenty to track these things. We have been discovering them left and right.

NEO Discovery Statistics

Also, considering that nukes right now are the only way to either blast one of these things, or at least "nudge" it onto a non impact trajectory, all that "wasteful military spending" is right now the only tech availible to save our asses of one of them is on an impact course.

ok ok

Where's the info that would lead you to believe he's a God-hating liberal? It's jumping to conclusions that's driving people away from the current crop of conservatives.

Nukes in space are still against some treaties, aren't they?

Not only may they be against international law, breaking the asteroid into pieces could just compound the problem by multiplying the potential earth strikes. The way to do it would to slightly alter its trajectory. That requires some advance warning, of course. Without that warning we're toast either way, IMO.

ok ok

Where's the info that would lead you to believe he's a God-hating liberal? It's jumping to conclusions that's driving people away from the current crop of conservatives.

But when I hear people belittling conservatives b/c 96% of scientist are liberals, no one should feel the need to tell you to go fuck yourself?

ahh

Irony and hypocrisy all in one thread.

Nukes in space are still against some treaties, aren't they?

Not only may they be against international law, breaking the asteroid into pieces could just compound the problem by multiplying the potential earth strikes. The way to do it would to slightly alter its trajectory. That requires some advance warning, of course. Without that warning we're toast either way, IMO.

Not in every case is rubbling the damn thing a bad idea. They key is to increase surface area, this increasing the action of re-entry, and maybe turning ground impacts into upper atmosphere airbursts.

Deflecting is a better idea, but right now the only things we got with enough oomph to deflect are nukes anyway.

The "blowing it up is never a good idea" people are usually your anti-nuke in general people, who put policy over the possible need to blast something into somethings smaller.

We should allow 40% more asteroids to impact earth so we can balance the budget!

It isn't.

We should allow 40% of all large observable asteroids to impact earth to bring down the debt and if possible make Obama look bad in the process.

Forum List

Back