Large asteroid heading to Earth?

ok ok

Seems this went over to many heads.

As we all know, scientist just wasted our money to prove god doesn't exist, and liberals love to hate on the faithful, and supposedly 96% of scientist are liberals.

So the irony is a god hating liberal scientist told us to pray.

Where's the info that would lead you to believe he's a God-hating liberal? It's jumping to conclusions that's driving people away from the current crop of conservatives.

But when I hear people belittling conservatives b/c 96% of scientist are liberals, no one should feel the need to tell you to go fuck yourself?

ahh

Irony and hypocrisy all in one thread.

I thought that was pretty much rdean's schtick? :confused:

For me the irony was what was almost certainly a liberal--he wouldn't have been appointed to his position if he wasn't--and we all know how much liberals hate inserting anything religious into government--pointing out a life threatening situation and having nothing more to offer us in the way of self defense than to tell us to pray.

A lot of us like the idea of space exploration and felt a great deal of national pride the night Neil Armstrong walked on the moon. Okay, that was also important for purposes of national defense, but for a lot of us it also stirred our imaginations and that spark of intrigue in the unknown and possibilities out there. Had the Apollo program not been cancelled when it was, we probably would already have put a man on Mars. Wasted effort? I don't know. So much has been learned from the space program that private industry has been able to utilize for profit and better products and opportunity for everybody, it is hard to see that as wasted money.

So as long as we can defend it as NECESSARY for the national defense--we still don't want belligerant countries to get ahead of us in space technology, ability to defend ourselves against certain kinds of weaponry, and also can demonstrate that it promotes everybody's general welfare--who can say that we don't ALL benefit from observances from the space station and the Hubble and all those satellites out there--I say NASA has provided much benefit.

It has also wasted many billions of our hard earned dollars, and I for one would like to see all of government do a whole lot less waste and to think it is working hard on developing capability to defend us again deadly incoming objects whether from space or manmade.

Last edited:
Please PLEASE do not try to divert this thread to yet another gun thread.

Or another "Why I hate George Bush thread."

Try to focus people.

If somebody locates a very large asteroid or comet or other global killer headed in our direction, what would you expect of your government?

Something proactive to intercept and deflect or destroy it?

Or shall we do nothing but pray?

Republicans would say we are out of money and start a faith based initiative.

Democrats would reflexively throw money in every direction.

Then they would argue and bicker until the asteroid killed us all.

For me the irony was what was almost certainly a liberal--he wouldn't have been appointed to his position if he wasn't--and we all know how much liberals hate inserting anything religious into government--pointing out a life threatening situation and having nothing more to offer us in the way of self defense than to tell us to pray.

A lot of us like the idea of space exploration and felt a great deal of national pride the night Neil Armstrong walked on the moon. Okay, that was also important for purposes of national defense, but for a lot of us it also stirred our imaginations and that spark of intrigue in the unknown and possibilities out there. Had the Apollo program not been cancelled when it was, we probably would already have put a man on Mars. Wasted effort? I don't know. So much has been learned from the space program that private industry has been able to utilize for profit and better products and opportunity for everybody, it is hard to see that as wasted money.

So as long as we can defend it as NECESSARY for the national defense--we still don't want belligerant countries to get ahead of us in space technology, ability to defend ourselves against certain kinds of weaponry, and also can demonstrate that it promotes everybody's general welfare--who can say that we don't ALL benefit from observances from the space station and the Hubble and all those satellites out there--I say NASA has provided much benefit.

It has also wasted many billions of our hard earned dollars, and I for one would like to see all of government do a whole lot less waste and to think it is working hard on developing capability to defend us again deadly incoming objects whether from space or manmade.

That's ^^ exactly what I mean by a leap, Foxy -- and to leap that far you'd have to be walking on the moon. Or even an asteroid.

A NASA engineer would by definition be a "liberal"... sheesh... :rolleyes:

ok ok

As we all know, scientist just wasted our money to prove god doesn't exist
, and liberals love to hate on the faithful, and supposedly 96% of scientist are liberals.

:lmao:

.... Huh??
wtf1.gif

Dood, that's not "irony". That's "paranoid fantasy strawman-on-strawman action".
Break out of the Bubble and see your shrink.

ok ok

, and liberals love to hate on the faithful, and supposedly 96% of scientist are liberals.

.... Huh??
wtf1.gif

Dood, that's not "irony". That's "paranoid fantasy strawman-on-strawman action".
Everything you bolded is true.

Now do some googling and you will quickly learn just how fucked up liberals are that they need such things.

ok ok

.... Huh??
wtf1.gif

Now do some googling and you will quickly learn just how fucked up liberals are that they need such things.

No, everything I bolded is a strawman (three to be exact), except for the opening phrase which is argumentum ad populum-- the "everybody knows" fallacy that introduces the three stooge strawmen.

Apparently "everybody" knows no such rubbish.

I don't need to Google jack squat. You do.

Last edited:
.... Huh??
wtf1.gif

No, everything I bolded is a strawman (three to be exact), except for the opening phrase which is argumentum ad populum-- the "everybody knows" fallacy that introduces the three stooge strawmen.

Apparently "everybody" knows no such rubbish.

I don't need to Google jack squat. You do.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjrmUDj_lbk]GOD DOESN'T EXIST: Stephen Hawking Proves Divine Creator Not Needed (REMIX) - YouTube[/ame]

liberal hate on the faithful - Yahoo! Search Results

96% of scientist are liberals - Yahoo! Search Results

Turns out it's only 52%, but don't tell your fellow buffoons.

Class dismissed.

Scientists base their findings on fact (not myth)...most are usually athiest.

That's not true.

Are Top Scientists Really So Atheistic? Look at the Data : The Intersection

I said most scientists are, not all.
I also said that it was not stated what Mr. Bolden's religious views are...however, I have done a bit of research regarding Bolden's religious views and found that Mr. Bolden is indeed a practicing Christian:
QUESTIONER: Well, I was wondering about any sort of extraterrestrial life.

BOLDEN: Oh, I wish I had evidence. I am a believer, like many of my fellow space travelers. A lot of us, for different reasons -- it's because of my faith that I believe that there are other forms of life in the universe.

You know, the universe is a big place. I'm a practicing Christian, so in my faith, I learn about omnipotent, omnipresent God, which means he's everywhere. He's all-knowing. He does everything.

The "conversation", is worth a read: A Conversation with Charles F. Bolden, Jr., NASA Administrator - Council on Foreign Relations

I don't usually make an assumption about a individual...yes, perhaps I should have researched prior to my post, but I stand by my first response simply because it was my first thought and I knew what the OP was trying to convey...it had absolutely nothing to do with 'prejudice' against science or religion...I love science and scientists, I find both fascinating. I also believe in God, but not organized 'religion'. I am 'spiritual', but not 'religious'.

Forum List

Back