Want To Live At Costco?

This may be a precursor to government supermarkets/box stores with the same idea as Costco. This tells you the government has screwed things up. And we are going Sovietization style. Pallets up to the roof behind locked plexiglass. And of course, over time there will be less and less products as the Soviet style takes hold on all of us.

How about this:

Costco is building a Los-Angeles-area warehouse that's different from its traditional stores. That's because the new location will also include 800 apartments above it. Better yet, Costco will be designating 184 of those apartments as affordable housing units to address the city's housing crisis.

What a great idea! Now smash and grabbers can have a place to live right on top of their target. No transportation needed. What could possibly go wrong? And, remember, everyone can steal up to $950 per visit and not face any serious consequences and the apartments can double as meth labs and a bunch of homeless people can be out in the parking lot and the middle class will be too terrified to shop there. What a bunch of idiots.

Costco is just taking advantage of crooked democrat politicians by getting taxpayer funds for the apartments forever with zero risk.

A loss is a loss is a loss. This is a very big debacle.
I don't know that it will be a loss. The number of affordable units will be less than a quarter of them. 3/4's of them will be market-rate units. By doing it, they get to build more densely than they otherwise could, with less parking and open space than they otherwise would be required, and be free from any local zoning overlays. The Transit Oriented Communities program is pretty controversial.

Costco is just taking advantage of crooked democrat politicians by getting taxpayer funds for the apartments forever with zero risk.
I disagree on the zero risk. I predict that within 10 years, probably sooner, possibly much sooner, Costco will wind up having to close that store. After that, they will subdivide Costco itself up into apartment spaces.

Last edited:
I don't know that it will be a loss. The number of affordable units will be less than a quarter of them. 3/4's of them will be market-rate units. By doing it, they get to build more densely than they otherwise could, with less parking and open space than they otherwise would be required, and be free from any local zoning overlays. The Transit Oriented Communities program is pretty controversial.
Ultimately, all they will be doing is providing apartments to those who will steal them blind.

I disagree on the zero risk. I predict that within 10 years, probably sooner, possibly much sooner, Costco will wind up having to close that store. After that, they will subdivide Costco itself up into apartment spaces.
It’s not about the store. I guarantee taxpayer funds paid for the majority of the building. Costco owns it for at least 30 years. Guaranteed government rent subsidies is a win.

It’s not about the store. I guarantee taxpayer funds paid for the majority of the building. Costco owns it for at least 30 years. Guaranteed government rent subsidies is a win.
In about 5 - 10 years I will be posting, "I told you so". No matter how many freebies you get, you still have to make a profit and I don't see that happening. You're probably right though that Costco got some kind of a 30 year deal, supposedly forcing them to stay open that long but I don't see that happening. Surely Costco isn't stupid enough not to have an out clause of some kind.

I have yet to see a costco in a high crime area. They buy massive plots of land that are generally accessible by car only. At least in Ontario.

We will have to wait and see. Human beings deserve basic necessities and some dignity don't they?
Human beings? Los Angeles??

Apartment dwellers generally don't have space to store bulk Costco shopping. That leads to many questions. Does the corporation have a plan for modified inventory for urban life? Will the residents share bulk products in a city where theft is easy? Will the apartments have more storage space? And how much time is left for Los Angeles as a major city? It will get hotter, drier, and more prone to fire for at least decades, until there's no city left.

Ultimately, all they will be doing is providing apartments to those who will steal them blind.
Doubtful since many of them will be for the elderly who probably are not very good at concealing gallon jars of mayonnaise in their baby carriages, I have my doubts whether that model will work locally but it is a recent trend nationally to have "affordable housing" in the mix for rehab and mixed-use projects. We have our first version nearing completion that will be market-rate, low-income housing, offices, retail, and events space all under one roof.

Forum List

Back