Largest group consumer of welfare/medicaid?? WAL MART employees

bucs90

Gold Member
Feb 25, 2010
How McDonald's and Wal-Mart Became Welfare Queens - Bloomberg

Well how about this. Wal-Mart's employees are the largest group-consumer of foot stamps, welfare and Medicaid.

So, all the blue collar working folks of the right wing who most likely do a lot of shopping at Wal-Mart (hey, so do I , we all love the low prices) should stop bitching about government handouts. Because the place we get all this cheap stuff.....is kept open by employees who get by on the same government aid that the Tea Party folks whine about.

So, would you folks support ending those handouts, which in turn would force Wal-Mart to pay their people more, and make the price of all that meat and ammo and clothing we buy at Wal-Mart go up?

Stunning isn't it. McDonalds and Wal-Mart. Two of the worlds largest and most successful corporations......do it all thanks to the government subsidizing the gap between what their employees make and what they need to live.

Walmart and McDonalds should stop hiring people who think they should be able to support families on such low wages.

This just in: Entry level jobs suck.

The good news: Do a good job there and you can get a better one down the road or be promoted to management.

Unfortunately, lots of working adults have had to take those jobs........thanks to other companies shipping jobs overseas or replacing human labor with machines.

Its our new reality.

walmart hires a lot of senior citizens who use it as supplemental income on their fixed. why should walmart change that?

further, why should walmart change anything? if their employees choose to work there and still can't make a living, that isn't walmart's fault.

Well how about this. Wal-Mart's employees are the largest group-consumer of foot stamps, welfare and Medicaid.

So, all the blue collar working folks of the right wing who most likely do a lot of shopping at Wal-Mart (hey, so do I , we all love the low prices) should stop bitching about government handouts. Because the place we get all this cheap stuff.....is kept open by employees who get by on the same government aid that the Tea Party folks whine about.

So, would you folks support ending those handouts, which in turn would force Wal-Mart to pay their people more, and make the price of all that meat and ammo and clothing we buy at Wal-Mart go up?

Stunning isn't it. McDonalds and Wal-Mart. Two of the worlds largest and most successful corporations......do it all thanks to the government subsidizing the gap between what their employees make and what they need to live.

Correction. Actually I believe the largest group would be government workers. by a large margin too

Unfortunately, lots of working adults have had to take those jobs........thanks to other companies shipping jobs overseas or replacing human labor with machines.

Its our new reality.

So why don't we undo the stupidity that makes it profitable to relocate production overseas? We could be crying out for a repeal to the free trade acts from the Clinton era. Some of us actually -do- cry out for the releasing of some of the sillier regulations that skyrocket the cost of doing business here.

Nah, fuck all that. Let's pretend our economic problems spawned in a vacuum and just force the jobs that couldn't be relocated to pick up all the slack that our government's poor decision making left untended. That's a way better idea. That way we could absolutely ensure that only the multinational corporations who did the relocating thrive while all of the businesses back here at home have to pay their teenage cashiers enough to support a family of four to make up for the fact that their 40 year old cashiers' factory jobs slipped through Uncle Sam's fingers. Why solve the problem when we could just cannibalize the survivors and clear the field of competition so the global mega-corporations can monopolize their respective industries? Fuckin super!

Last edited:

Its our new reality.

Oh that is nonsense.
Technology in manufacturing and other areas is not to blame. The blame goes on the people who did not keep up with the technology.
And as far as Walmart and other low skill employers are concerned, it is not the duty of the employer to boost wages for unskilled people. It is the duty of the people to boost their skills so that they can earn more.
Look, from my recollection you were a Police Officer.
Ok, lets assume you were.
Now suppose for a moment you are a veteran officer and have passed the Sergeant's exam and gotten your promotion. Now here comes along a new city council. They decide that the patrol officers are underpaid. They decide an appropriate starting wage is just shy of what you, as a sergeant make now. If it were me in your shoes, I would be pissed.
Here you are having busted your ass for say 10 years on the job and now some rookie is making almost as much as you are and he doesn't have anywhere near the skills or experience you do.
Ok, now tell me a story.

It's even better when you consider how the Great Recession increased the Waltons' wealth gap with those they employ and serve.

From Politifact:

"The 2010 figures are the latest available for doing comparisons with the net worth of the overall population.

"But we found, using the Forbes 400 list for 2013, that the wealth of six of Sam Walton’s descendants has continued to grow. Here are their rankings and their wealth:

No. 6 Christy Walton (daughter-in-law), $35.4 billion

No. 7: Jim Walton (son), $33.8 billion

No. 8: Alice Walton (daughter), $33.5 billion

No. 9: S. Robson Walton (son), $33.3 billion

No. 95: Ann Walton Kroenke (niece), $4.7 billion

No. 110: Nancy Walton Laurie (niece), $4 billion

Total Walton family wealth: $144.7 billion.

"A note before we close:

"...the housing crisis is a key reason that the gap between the Walton family wealth and the wealth of other American families has grown. More Americans were left with 'negative wealth' because they lost their biggest asset -- their home -- and often significant amounts of their savings, as well, she said.

"Our rating

"One Wisconsin Now wrote: 'The Walton family, which owns Wal-Mart, controls a fortune equal to the wealth of the bottom 42 percent of Americans combined.'

"For comparison purposes, the latest data available, for 2010, the figure is 41.5 percent.

"We rate the statement True."

http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin/statements/2013/dec/08/one-wisconsin-now/just-how-wealthy-wal-mart-walton-family/

Its our new reality.

Oh that is nonsense.
Technology in manufacturing and other areas is not to blame. The blame goes on the people who did not keep up with the technology.
And as far as Walmart and other low skill employers are concerned, it is not the duty of the employer to boost wages for unskilled people. It is the duty of the people to boost their skills so that they can earn more.
Now suppose for a moment you are a veteran officer and have passed the Sergeant's exam and gotten your promotion. Now here comes along a new city council. They decide that the patrol officers are underpaid. They decide an appropriate starting wage is just shy of what you, as a sergeant make now. If it were me in your shoes, I would be pissed.
Here you are having busted your ass for say 10 years on the job and now some rookie is making almost as much as you are and he doesn't have anywhere near the skills or experience you do.
Ok, now tell me a story.

You do realize that you said the same thing as bucs90 using a different angle.
Your angle is BUSINESS = Good, CIVIL = Bad.
But both scenarios are executed by authorities in an arbitrary manner.

It's even better when you consider how the Great Recession increased the Waltons' wealth gap with those they employ and serve.

From Politifact:

"The 2010 figures are the latest available for doing comparisons with the net worth of the overall population.

"But we found, using the Forbes 400 list for 2013, that the wealth of six of Sam Walton’s descendants has continued to grow. Here are their rankings and their wealth:

"A note before we close:

"...the housing crisis is a key reason that the gap between the Walton family wealth and the wealth of other American families has grown. More Americans were left with 'negative wealth' because they lost their biggest asset -- their home -- and often significant amounts of their savings, as well, she said.

"Our rating

"One Wisconsin Now wrote: 'The Walton family, which owns Wal-Mart, controls a fortune equal to the wealth of the bottom 42 percent of Americans combined.'

"For comparison purposes, the latest data available, for 2010, the figure is 41.5 percent.

http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin/statements/2013/dec/08/one-wisconsin-now/just-how-wealthy-wal-mart-walton-family/

To that I add a so what?
It is THEIR money.

Foot stamps? Really? Is this a dress code thingy?

Its our new reality.

Oh that is nonsense.
Ok, now tell me a story.

No I challenged bucs 90 on a level to which he could most easily relate.
I never stated nor implied that public sector employment was 'bad'...
My argument is that in states where public workers are unionized and have collective bargaining ( that's a joke) rights, they are grossly overpaid and the taxpayers suffer for it.

This just in: Entry level jobs suck.

The good news: Do a good job there and you can get a better one down the road or be promoted to management.

You are right. And one of the best managers at the one where I shop looks and sounds like she belongs on He Haw. That woman could eat corn through a picket fence. But she runs a good department.

Its our new reality.

They could get money to go to school.

Oh that is nonsense.
Ok, now tell me a story.

My argument is that in states where public workers are unionized and have collective bargaining ( that's a joke) rights, they are grossly overpaid and the taxpayers suffer for it.

I agree.
I also am offended by Directors and CEOs who go to 25K/plate Political gatherings of either Party and hand over legislation to OUR "Representatives".
Either way, we are dealing with an underhanded "union" dealing their best hand
to which the average person has no access.

The average person includes one percenters who aren't making several million a year.

In other news WalMart employees is by far the largest group period.

They are likely the largest group who wears glasses, owns a dog named "Max", and has seen the latest Lord of the Rings movie.

Walmart and McDonalds should stop hiring people who think they should be able to support families on such low wages.

This has got to be one of your best.

:clap2:

My question is, why should the tax payers subsidize WalMart?

Because you've got to get your skin tight bright pink elastic waste stretch pants with a brown spot in the crack in a size 48 short somewhere.

No one is subsidizing Wal Mart. Wal Mart employs a lot of older people and college students around here. They don't want full time jobs. And if they were required to work a 40 hour week, they would quit and work somewhere else where they could work part time.

From Politifact:

"A note before we close:

"Our rating

Just how wealthy is the Wal-Mart Walton family? | PolitiFact Wisconsin

To that I add a so what?
It is THEIR money.
No, it isn't; not when THEIR money results from taxpayers subsidizing THEIR employees' subsistence, i.e., food, shelter, and health insurance. It is THEIR use of the old capitalist ploy of privatizing profit and socializing cost. In one recent study it was found that McDonalds $1.5 billion in profits was almost matched by its employees dependence on $1.2 billion in public social services benefits.

Forum List

Back