Lesbian Says Priest denied me Communion at mom's funeral because I'm gay

The priest played politics at a funeral. He was wrong and the archdiocese apologized to Barbara Johnson.

The priest was very hurtful.

He should have addressed this in private, not made a public spectacle at a funeral.

I don't know how I feel about this. Maybe like the Catholics should handle their own? Not Catholic and I consider them a borderline cult but I don't know that the Priest did anything wrong in this case. Does God call on him to let them woman take communion just because she was suffering a personal tragedy? If not, then is he supposed to give communion?

Mike

Cult? :lol::lol: Yea, I can tell you know nothing about Catholicism.

Unfortunately, many aspects of a gay or lesbian's person's life is political.

Grieving your mother should not be.

What happened to my double pos reps?
I gave you your second one this morning.

Are you claiming I didn't?

This should be fun.........................

I didn't see any. I usually get a PM.

I just checked. I didn't get a PM but the reps are there. You made good on your word.

Last edited:
I don't know how I feel about this. Maybe like the Catholics should handle their own? Not Catholic and I consider them a borderline cult but I don't know that the Priest did anything wrong in this case. Does God call on him to let them woman take communion just because she was suffering a personal tragedy? If not, then is he supposed to give communion?

Mike

Everyone elses religion is a cult. Didn't you know that?

The priest was wrong. If Barbara Jordan hadn't complained, the archdiocese wouldn't have known of the priest's unkind behavior. How does the priest know the woman was in sin. She could be celibate. Just living with a woman doesn't mean anything.
But the archdiocese issued an apology. Refusing the woman communion, AND refusing to go with the family to the cemetery, was uncalled for.

The priest was wrong. If Barbara Jordan hadn't complained, the archdiocese wouldn't have known of the priest's unkind behavior. How does the priest know the woman was in sin. She could be celibate. Just living with a woman doesn't mean anything.
But the archdiocese issued an apology. Refusing the woman communion, AND refusing to go with the family to the cemetery, was uncalled for.

Yup. It was mean. The priest left the Church while Ms Johnson was delivering the eulogy. This woman has been with her partner for 20 years.

Some of you can't see how fucked that is?

Last edited:

Mike

A VERY large cult CG. ; )

The priest played politics at a funeral. He was wrong and the archdiocese apologized to Barbara Johnson.

He should have addressed this in private, not made a public spectacle at a funeral.
Maybe she should have thought that taking communion wasn't appropriate?

I assign fault to both sides, as far as making it an issue. I would agree with you that the priest should have warned her that he was not comfortable giving her communion before the mass, but likely, given her relationship and living arrangement, he didn't even expect her to try.

what does her weight have to do with this issue?

there are certain men who like doing that with women... they also like calling them dykes (even when they're not) and commenting on their looks even when they haven't a clue what they look like.

We've had this discussion before about what does and doesn't constitute a cult. Some Christians, even some Catholics think LDS is a cult. Some Christians think the RCC is a cult.

there are certain men who like doing that with women... they also like calling them dykes (even when they're not) and commenting on their looks even when they haven't a clue what they look like.
Well, she is a lesbian and her looks aren't all that great. You can see her picture in the link. She looks the part and she is not slim by any measure.

But, her looks are irrelevant. Agreed.

Maybe she should have thought that taking communion wasn't appropriate?

I assign fault to both sides, as far as making it an issue. I would agree with you that the priest should have warned her that he was not comfortable giving her communion before the mass, but likely, given her relationship and living arrangement, he didn't even expect her to try.

Why would she think she shouldn't recieve communion? She's a Catholic. This woman was wronged. Too bad you can't see that.

Last edited:

Well, she is a lesbian and her looks aren't all that great. You can see her picture in the link. She looks the part and she is not slim by any measure.

which is what i said. ;)

Very petty of you to comment on her looks.

Mike

Everyone elses religion is a cult. Didn't you know that?

They're all cults.

Very petty of you to comment on her looks.
Very judgmental of you to say. Not that I personally find much wrong with being judgmental, but you have found it wrong on several occasions. One finger forward and three back to yourself.

IMO, she is an ugly cow. But, as I said, her looks are irrelevant.

You're petty to call this woman an ugly cow. What the priest did to this family was wrong regardless of what this woman looks like. Your post speaks volumes about what kind of person you are.

How many divorced people live in a technical state of sin? How many people practice some form of artificial birth control in a state of sin?" If the church will now have these 'state of grace' police, you know, how can that be? That's the most personal thing in the world — between a person and God.

Monogamy for 20 years is not sin.

You forget this woman was crying, grieving her mother, wanting to provide a beautiful funeral for her mother, and this priest makes a scene, makes it ugly.

Last edited:
You're petty to call this woman an ugly cow. What the priest did to this family was wrong regardless of what this woman looks like.

How many divorced people live in a technical state of sin? How many people practice some form of artificial birth control in a state of sin?" If the church will now have these 'state of grace' police, you know, how can that be? That's the most personal thing in the world — between a person and God.

Monogamy for 20 years is not sin.
LOL. And, you're judgmental to say I am petty for posting my impression of her looks.

I find her to be ugly-on-steroids. I know she is a lesbian because she says she is (like we would need that info anyway given her pic). I know she is fat because of the pic. And, she has a buzz cut that would make several at Quantico wanting to know the name of her barber.

Regardless, it is true, her looks are irrelevant to the situation, but that's what I see.

And, I see a lot of circumstances of this event that are suspicious about this being an opportunistic situation for her to make it political.

The priest is the one who made a scene. Barbara Johnson didn't.

The woman's looks are irrelevant. It does happen that some misogynists insist on judging a woman by what she looks like.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back