Gone but never forgotten.

Wahoo Mohammed!​

http://www.viddler.com/explore/jimmyoc/videos/1/

Last edited:
memorial.jpg

Crewmember's Name Rate/Rank Hometown
Tung Thanh Adams Fire Controlman 3rd class (FC3) Alexandria, VA
Robert Wallace Backherms Gunner's Mate 3rd class (GM3)(FC3) Ravenna, OH
Dwayne Collier Battle Electrician's Mate, Fireman Apprentice (EMFA) Rocky Mount, NC
Walter Scot Blakey Gunner's Mate 3rd class (GM3) Eaton Rapids, MI
Pete Edward Bopp Gunner's Mate 3rd class (GM3) Levittown, NY
Ramon Jarel Bradshaw Seaman Recruit (SR) Tampa, FL
Philip Edward Buch Lieutenant, Junior Grade (LTjg) Las Cruces, NM
Eric Ellis Casey Seaman Apprentice (SA) Mt. Airy, NC
John Peter Cramer Gunners Mate 2nd class (GM2) Uniontown, PA
Milton Francis Devaul Jr. Gunners Mate 3rd class (GM3) Solvay, NY
Leslie Allen Everhart Jr. Seaman Apprentice (SA) Cary, NC
Gary John Fisk Boatswains Mate 2nd class (BM2) Oneida, NY
Tyrone Dwayne Foley Seaman (SN) Bullard, TX
Robert James Gedeon III Seaman Apprentice (SA) Lakewood, OH
Brian Wayne Gendron Seaman Apprentice (SA) Madera, CA
John Leonard Goins Seaman Recruit (SR) Columbus, OH
David L. Hanson Electricians Mate 3rd class (EM3) Perkins, SD
Ernest Edward Hanyecz Gunners Mate 1st class (GM1) Bordentown, NJ
Clayton Michael Hartwig Gunners Mate 2nd class (GM2) Cleveland, OH
Michael William Helton Legalman 1st class (LN1) Louisville, KY
Scott Alan Holt Seaman Apprentice (SA) Fort Meyers, FL
Reginald L. Johnson Jr. Seaman Recruit (SR) Warrensville Heights, OH
Nathaniel Clifford Jones Jr. Seaman Apprentice (SA) Buffalo, NY
Brian Robert Jones Seaman (SN) Kennesaw, GA
Michael Shannon Justice Seaman (SN) Matewan, WV
Edward J. Kimble Seaman (SN) Ft. Stockton, TX
Richard E. Lawrence Gunners Mate 3rd class (GM3) Springfield, OH
Richard John Lewis Fire Controlman, Seaman Apprentice (FCSA) Northville, MI
Jose Luis Martinez Jr. Seaman Apprentice (SA) Hidalgo, TX
Todd Christopher McMullen Boatswains Mate 3rd class (BM3) Manheim, PA
Todd Edward Miller Seaman Recruit (SR) Ligonier, PA
Robert Kenneth Morrison Legalman 1st class (LN1) Jacksonville, FL
Otis Levance Moses Seaman (SN) Bridgeport, CN
Darin Andrew Ogden Gunners Mate 3rd class (GM3) Shelbyville, IN
Ricky Ronald Peterson Seaman (SN) Houston, MN
Mathew Ray Price Gunners Mate 3rd class (GM3) Burnside, PA
Harold Earl Romine Jr. Seaman Recruit (SR) Brandenton, FL
Geoffrey Scott Schelin Gunners Mate 3rd class (GMG3) Costa Mesa, CA
Heath Eugene Stillwagon Gunners Mate 3rd class (GM3) Connellsville, PA
Todd Thomas Tatham Seaman Recruit (SR) Wolcott, NY
Jack Ernest Thompson Gunners Mate 3rd class (GM3) Greeneville, TN
Stephen J. Welden Gunners Mate 2nd class (GM2) Yukon, OK
James Darrell White Gunners Mate 3rd class (GM3) Norwalk, CA
Rodney Maurice White Seaman Recruit (SR) Louisville, KY
Michael Robert Williams Boatswains Mate 2nd class (BM2) South Shore, KY
John Rodney Young Seaman (SN) Rockhill, SC
Reginald Owen Ziegler Senior Chief Gunners Mate (GMCS) Port Gibson, NY

Far from Home
Lord have mercy on our comrades who'll be knockin at your door,
They fell forever today, so look after them forever more.

They were just men with dreams all their own,
Doing the work of their country far from their home.

Lord please bless their souls, for it was not their choice you see,
Each had a job to do, but not one to take them to eternity

We are all simple men with dreams all of our own
Doing the work of our country far away from home.....

Jeffery M. Bellows, OS2(SW) - April 19, 1989
From "The IOWAN" - 20 April 1989 Volume IV, Number 13 (Ship's Newsletter)​

Captain F.P. Moosaly's Memorial Services Speech

I remember turret two. I remember their faces as they toiled at their guns, sweating an honest sweat that comes from young men dedicated to a great cause. Who chose to serve, to grow, and to learn with others, while securing a place in history for generations after them. I remember their strong hands as they wielded their great charges with an energy I could marvel at. The energy of their youth which they channeled towards their love of freedom. I remember as they talked among themselves, looking so much like sailors of our past. Sharing the exuberance of the times and the dreams of the future. I REMEMBER TURRET TWO

They were the life, the spirit and the soul of our ship. They embodied the ideals of our history and the hope of a brighter tomorrow. They gave themselves to the goals we all share, and they made the ultimate sacrifice for us. We will not - nor can we ever forget the lessons they taught us.

The crew of IOWA shared much with turret two. We shared their enthusiasm. Their drive and their kindness. We worked side-by-side and shoulder-to-shoulder to build a team, a family, a common bond which can never be broken, and though they have left us in body, they will always remain with us.

We came together in times of trouble, we shared the good and the bad, the comedy, and now the tragedy. The grief we share with you - their families, is deep. But we must go on. FOR WE ARE THE CREW OF IOWA. Permanently fused, like the steel of the ship we sail. Our sides are strong, our towers high, and our course is set. WE ARE THE IOWA. A part of every rivet, every plank and every line. We are the ship. She breathes through us, and she lives as a part of us. As long as she sails the seas we will be a part of her. A part of the IOWA spirit. That spirit lives on - and the men of turret two will forever be a part of that living spirit!

The Navy Hymn

Eternal Father, Strong to save,
Whose arm hath bound the restless wave,
Who bid'st the mighty Ocean deep
Its own appointed limits keep;
O hear us when we cry to thee,
for those in peril on the sea.​

(thank you for this place to honor my shipmates)

For the fallen heroes of Afghanistan and the people of Wootton Bassett.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aBVnU2B45I&feature=related]YouTube - Forever Young. A song for Wootton Bassett[/ame]

Bootneck and I would like you all to recognize those brave men and women who may be forgotten after they come home, the wounded and the fallen. Maybe send a card to a Vet Hospital, visit a vet who may not have anyone else to see them. My class makes cards for them, it sure brightens up their day. Or just Thank them for their service.

I've got a flag on my mantle that reminds me everyday. It looks something like this:

41CUZCppupL._SL500_.jpg

I have one of those from my Dad's service. He reired from the Army, served 1 full tour in Vietnam and a second was cut short when he was wounded so severly he spent 3 months in a hospital in Japan and even after continuing his service was effected by that wound all his life. Eventually it cost him both his legs.

Bootneck and I would like you all to recognize those brave men and women who may be forgotten after they come home, the wounded and the fallen. Maybe send a card to a Vet Hospital, visit a vet who may not have anyone else to see them. My class makes cards for them, it sure brightens up their day. Or just Thank them for their service.

I've got a flag on my mantle that reminds me everyday. It looks something like this:

41CUZCppupL._SL500_.jpg

I have one of those from my Dad's service. He reired from the Army, served 1 full tour in Vietnam and a second was cut short when he was wounded so severly he spent 3 months in a hospital in Japan and even after continuing his service was effected by that wound all his life. Eventually it cost him both his legs.

I have one similar for my grandfather. He was never wounded in WWII but served faithfully.

:clap2: A big round of applause for all of the brave men and women who serve in the armed forces!

I have created a stigma-free Harvesting Happiness program to assist veterans and their families experiencing challenges with PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder) and reintegration into civilian life. I am excited to share that my idea has been accepted as a finalist to win a $50,000 grant from the Pepsi Refresh Challenge!

Please help us win a $50,000 grant from Pepsi to assist Veterans with PTSD by voting everyday this month at refresheverything.com/findinghappinessforvets

You can also vote daily by texting 103038 to Pepsi at 73774. Help support our troops by spreading the word and voting everyday during the month of October!

They should have the best medical care possible for life

I agree fully, Truthmatters.

We have a Vet in our family who is now quadriplegic, rated catastrophic.

Lemme tell ya, he not only gets the best of the best in medical care, he gets the best of the best from all of us!

The First Lady and Dr. Biden will launch a major initiative calling on all Americans to support our military families. On January 27th, the First Lady joined service members and their families on The Oprah Winfrey Show and discussed the upcoming service campaign. I saw the show and the stories made me cry.

There was a story of a man that is blind from his injuries and how his wife is taking care of him. They also have 2 small children. Another story was of a mother whose son was killed by a roadside bomb in Iraq. She goes to his grave at Arlington several times a year. She brings his favorite cd's and a book he loved as a child. She reads the book to him and plays the cd's. It was so sad.

This website tells us what we can do to help:

Welcome to Serve.gov

About the Hike
Iraq War Veteran Troy Yocum is hiking 7,000 miles across America, banging his drum and sounding the call for $5 million to help military families in need. With his wife Mareike and Emmie the SuperDog by his side, they took their first step of his 16-month quest on April 17, 2010. Now they have completed the western leg of the journey, all the way from Kentucky to California and have walked back east to Texas.

Last edited by a moderator:
My son is stationed at Ft Bragg, been to Iraq 3 times, and thankfully came home safe. He's a career guy! A friend from school had also joined the Army, was stationed at Bragg...he came home 2 months ago from a afghanistan and he was out of the Army now. Last night he was killed in a motorcycle accident here in our town, i know his family well. My heart breaks for them, and everyone that has lost a child, husband, wife etc....it's just so hard to take in, someone spends a year or more fighting a war, just to come home and be killed in a stupid accident!

My son is stationed at Ft Bragg, been to Iraq 3 times, and thankfully came home safe. He's a career guy! A friend from school had also joined the Army, was stationed at Bragg...he came home 2 months ago from a afghanistan and he was out of the Army now. Last night he was killed in a motorcycle accident here in our town, i know his family well. My heart breaks for them, and everyone that has lost a child, husband, wife etc....it's just so hard to take in, someone spends a year or more fighting a war, just to come home and be killed in a stupid accident!

I am so sorry to hear that Carolijo. My deepest sympathies to the family.

RIP Soldier.

My brother is currently in Afghanistan with a brigade of the 101st. It's his second year long tour to Afghanistan with a third under his belt to Iraq. He should be rotated home in December.

My hat is off to all of our service men and women who have volunteered to serve our nation.

YouTube - 'Love Farewell' tribute for Help for Heroes by John Tams and The Band and Bugles of The Rifles
Thanks, EchoZulu. I just found this thread and read your first post. :)

Hope everyone remembers our troops especially at Christmas time, which is right around the corner. This year, I made a bunch of little stockings to send those on a long watch (more at Quilt thread, somewhere in the middle.):

Attachments

• $Soldier Stocking Tree.jpg
    $Soldier Stocking Tree.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 517
  • $Soldier Stocking Greek and Granny.jpg
    $Soldier Stocking Greek and Granny.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 503
  • $photo(3).JPG
    $photo(3).JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 489
Last edited:
My brother is currently in Afghanistan with a brigade of the 101st. It's his second year long tour to Afghanistan with a third under his belt to Iraq. He should be rotated home in December.

My hat is off to all of our service men and women who have volunteered to serve our nation.

DW, hope that's soon. It's going to be Christmas in no time.

Caroljo, I'm sorry for your town's loss. You, too, Hortysir. And all those who have passed.

Sorry I didn't see this thread sooner than this morning.

I have a friend that lost a loved one, the story moved me so much I wrote a song, and tried to make a video to honor them all. bless them for their service.

Never forget the wounded and maimed who fought in Vietnam. If you want to read a fine (brief) novel about the hell of Vietnam combat, and the fate of some soldiers, read "The Foot Soldier," by Mark Rubinstein, available on Amazon.com as a Kindle download for 99 cents.

My father was conscripted in WWII , he lived through the depression and all that. He didn’t ask do be enrolled in a noble cause . That being said, My father, Patrick, took a Japanese bullet and survived the war. He ended up with one hell of a case of PTSD. That being said, we survived somehow. My mom was a army nurse, my uncles were in the pacific and survived to fight in Korea. Well, one of my uncles committed suicide after the war, something my family covered up for years.

Forum List

Back