Liberal ‘White Dudes’ Rally for Harris: ‘It’s Like a Rainbow of Beige’

Procrustes Stretched

This place is nothing without the membership.
Dec 1, 2008
Supporters of Kamala Harris brought some levity to the presidential race, and some people freaked out thinking it was all about race. LOL

I said years ago (2015) that I distrust anyone who lacks the ability to laugh at oneself. We've all seen some candidates and politicians, and their supporters miss the humor -- the point. People can take themselves and their prejudices too seriously.

A collection of quotes:

Liberal ‘White Dudes’ Rally for Harris: ‘It’s Like a Rainbow of Beige’

A huge video call for self-professed “White Dudes for Harris” showed the breadth of Democratic support for her candidacy, and the ways the party is learning to make fun of itself.

“What a variety of whiteness we have here,” marveled Bradley Whitford, the “West Wing” actor, his tongue firmly in cheek

“White Dudes for Harris.” Trump doesn’t own the votes of white men or speak for them.

“It’s like a rainbow of beige.”

The mood in the White Dudes for Harris group chat, initiated late last week on the WhatsApp messaging service, was positively giddy for days, with organizers sharing John Cena memes, jokes about beer and words of support.

Before Monday’s call, Ross Morales Rocketto, a Democratic organizer who helped start the group, acknowledged the discomfort some might feel about the group’s name.

“I don’t blame them,” he said in an interview. “Throughout American history, there’s a lot of evidence to suggest that when white men organize, it’s often with pointy hats on, and it doesn’t end well.”

“What we are really trying to do is engage a group of people that the left has largely ignored for the last few years,” Mr. Morales Rocketto said. “There’s a silent majority of white men who aren’t MAGA Republicans, and we haven’t done anything to try to capture those votes.”

The group, he said, was inspired by the success of “Win With Black Women,” a weekly call of prominent Black women who had, in the hours after Mr. Biden’s July 21 announcement, raised $1.5 million for Ms. Harris.

white dudes 4 harris 2.jpg

white dudes 4 harris 1.jpg

Forum List

Back