Life imitates Star Trek. Again.

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Dilithium Crystals Could Power Hypothetical, Star Trek-Style Warp Drive

"However, it might be possible to cut that trip to Mars down to as few as three months using a form of fusion fuel — “dilithium crystals.” Yep, just like Star Trek.

It’s not quite the same, of course. In the sci-fi series, the crystals are a rare substance that the crew spend an inordinate amount of time searching for, and their engines can use it to travel faster than the speed of light. This engine, currently under development at the University of Hunstville by a team working in collaboration with Boeing, NASA and the Oak Ridge National Laboratory, would by comparison be about twice as fast as the best current technology.

According to Txchnologist, General Electric’s online tech magazine, this fusion reactor would be fueled by “a few tonnes” of deuterium (a heavy isotope of hydrogen) and lithium-6 (a stable molecule of lithium) in a crystalline structure — hence the “dilithium crystal” claim. Technically, dilithium is a molecule with two covalently bonded lithium atoms, while lithium-6 features six bonded atoms, but we can forgive them for the temptation of using a little poetic license."

Watch television less, live life more. More people living life creates more opportunity that a television show made reference to us.

Watch television less, live life more. More people living life creates more opportunity that a television show made reference to us.

That's what Muslims say. Study the Qur'an and nothing else.

For all its' faults, television imparts knowledge far better than reading a book. When you read you get the information in only one way. When you watch tv you get it two ways (audio and visual.) More efficient by far watching a movie about a book than reading the book itself. Both are good, but you can get the gist of a book in about 2 hours where reading the book could take weeks.

For all its' faults, television imparts knowledge far better than reading a book. When you read you get the information in only one way. When you watch tv you get it two ways (audio and visual.) More efficient by far watching a movie about a book than reading the book itself. Both are good, but you can get the gist of a book in about 2 hours where reading the book could take weeks.

Exactly, the loserterian that believes we shouldn't explore, innovate and maintain our society are alot like the muslims that they hate. I hope we do follow star trek straight to the next habitual planet.

Exactly, the loserterian that believes we shouldn't explore, innovate and maintain our society are alot like the muslims that they hate. I hope we do follow star trek straight to the next habitual planet.

Like to think someone already has, but if not, outta start a petition or organization so the first ever crewed spaceship is named the Gene Roddenberry. Shuttles into orbit aren't spaceships proper, nor are unmanned probes. First real space craft outta be named after the guy who undoubtedly inspired the poeple who grew up and got into the fields.

Consider why Mankind would have already been sending advanced ships into space, unbeknownst to the public. Think about it. If you had the ability to traverse the Heavens, conquer new worlds, harness unique resources and gain a tactical advantage over people still on Earth... would you share that knowledge with the sheeple? Would you describe to them all your missions and expeditions in detail? Would you share with them the schematics of your technology, the greatest secrets of your sciences, and give them an honest and comprehensive list of your intentions whilst in "space"?

If one discovered the power to become what could be perceived as a "god", and/ or the ability to efficiently navigate the cosmos... why would you share that knowledge with the countless mundane sheeple on the planet below?

Last edited:

The book is almost always better than the movie. Everyone knows this. Except you, I guess.

While fusion isn’t yet a viable fuel source, recent developments in the field seem to indicate that we can’t be far away.

However, as Business Insider points out, it’s likely that any commercial or scientific use of the technology will only be if the US army allows it, as the research is being conducted using equipment repurposed from military projects. And, again, that depends on developing a fusion reactor that generates more power than it consumes.

Nothing like a Warp Drive. Silly popular media playing on science fantasies

The book is almost always better than the movie. Everyone knows this. Except you, I guess.
jesus another silly assumption not based on factual data
Ask anyone who has seen the movie, after reading the book. Most will agree that the book was better. Movies usually leave a lot out, and can't do things like let you know what characters are thinking or planning.

Ask anyone who has seen the movie, after reading the book. Most will agree that the book was better. Movies usually leave a lot out, and can't do things like let you know what characters are thinking or planning.
Wake up. Not talking about that particular movie. Speaking to your statement

"The book is almost always better than the movie." I've repeated that nonsense myself in casual conversation. But I know it to be patently false.

Agree, the last book Dante probably read was Dr. Seuss cat in the hat.

"The book is almost always better than the movie." I've repeated that nonsense myself in casual conversation. But I know it to be patently false.

What? The book is always better then the movie unless you have the imagination of a house fly.

What? The book is always better then the movie unless you have the imagination of a house fly.
Do you know how many poorly written books were made into great movies? Take the Bible for instance...

Agree, the last book Dante probably read was Dr. Seuss cat in the hat.
you still waiting for the movie to come out on laser disc?

Last edited:

Most people have never been to Paris but we all know what it looks like or what Hawaii looks like, even though we've never been there. Why? Because we've seen these places on TV. You can tell me about Hawaii or show me a movie in Hawaii. I'd rather see the movie.

Most people have never been to Paris but we all know what it looks like or what Hawaii looks like, even though we've never been there. Why? Because we've seen these places on TV. You can tell me about Hawaii or show me a movie in Hawaii. I'd rather see the movie.

...or you could go there...

Forum List

Back