Long Island Middle School Bans Footballs, Other Recreational Items

Jackson

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2010
Nashville

PORT WASHINGTON, N.Y. (CBSNewYork) —

Worries about injuries at a Long Island school have led to a surprising ban.

As CBS 2’s Jennifer McLogan reported Monday, officials at Weber Middle School in Port Washington are worried that students are getting hurt during recess. Thus, they have instituted a ban on footballs, baseballs, lacrosse balls, or anything that might hurt someone on school grounds.

But the students will have no such option anymore. They were just informed that during recess, football is out and Nerf ball is in. Hard soccer balls have been banned, along with baseballs and lacrosse balls, rough games of tag, or cartwheels unless supervised by a coach.
Long Island Middle School Bans Footballs, Other Recreational Items « CBS New York

Students may stand until recess is over. What a release.

Damn, I have never seen that much ball play at a school, usually it's just tether ball. We usually just roamed the play ground looking for a fight.

Our elementary schools did this years ago.
No balls, frisbees or any other hand held play device.
They removed monkey bars, tether ball poles, teeter-totters and slides.
The only thing in the "play"ground is a couple swing sets and grass.
Oh...and they can't play tag anymore either. No games in which kids chase each other.
But they can talk.

That reminds me of a prison yard! The whole point of recess is for the kids to blow off steam! Moonglow is right. Walking around, looking for a fight!

Give the kids some balls and let them play for goodness sakes. And no "tag?"

PORT WASHINGTON, N.Y. (CBSNewYork) —

Worries about injuries at a Long Island school have led to a surprising ban.

As CBS 2’s Jennifer McLogan reported Monday, officials at Weber Middle School in Port Washington are worried that students are getting hurt during recess. Thus, they have instituted a ban on footballs, baseballs, lacrosse balls, or anything that might hurt someone on school grounds.

But the students will have no such option anymore. They were just informed that during recess, football is out and Nerf ball is in. Hard soccer balls have been banned, along with baseballs and lacrosse balls, rough games of tag, or cartwheels unless supervised by a coach.
Long Island Middle School Bans Footballs, Other Recreational Items « CBS New York

Students may stand until recess is over. What a release.

Lots of middle schools around here can't financially support any extracurricular activities. But also, around here, middle schools don't have recess....that's for elementary schools.

That reminds me of a prison yard! The whole point of recess is for the kids to blow off steam! Moonglow is right. Walking around, looking for a fight!

Give the kids some balls and let them play for goodness sakes. And no "tag?"

I was in this age group in the 1960's.

I always considered injuries as a part of growing up. You do something stupid, you get hurt, you brag to your friends about it later. It's all a part of being young and dumb. God forbid children enjoy themselves before they turn 18, and have to slave away at a job.

I always considered injuries as a part of growing up. You do something stupid, you get hurt, you brag to your friends about it later. It's all a part of being young and dumb. God forbid children enjoy themselves before they turn 18, and have to slave away at a job.

The goal is turn "public schools" into brainwashing prisons. Look at this Common Core assignment to destroy the Bill of Rights:

1379669_645534145480842_877145441_n.jpg

Oh for xst's sake, they're just banning the hardballs. I played 4 years of college lacrosse and I can tell you, those little fuckers hurt...

As for footballs...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uczU8czi98I]Reporter hit by football - YouTube[/ame]

Schools have always been brainwashing prisons. Remember the old Pink Floyd song, "Brick in the Wall"? Things haven't really changed much in that regard.

Oh for xst's sake, they're just banning the hardballs. I played 4 years of college lacrosse and I can tell you, those little fuckers hurt...

As for footballs...

Reporter hit by football - YouTube

did you know they hurt?

Were you forced to play lacrosse?

WTF happened to personal responsibility; parental consent notes and good clean fun.

Jeez...and they wonder why kids sit around playing video games and getting fat.

As for footballs...

did you know they hurt?

WTF happened to personal responsibility; parental consent notes and good clean fun.

I agree with the OP, but don't be dissing video games. I'm still mad at TemplarKormak for saying in a Flame Zone thread that he doesn't play video games anymore. :cool:

As for footballs...

did you know they hurt?

It's a playground with hundreds of kids...collateral damage.

In the OP someone nailed it...it's more about liability and lawsuits.

We wore these...without them there would be a couple concussions a game.

pro7-lightbox-1.jpg

Are all the kids on the playground wearing these?

Last edited:

As for footballs...

did you know they hurt?

It's a playground with hundreds of kids...collateral damage.

In the OP someone nailed it...it's more about liability and lawsuits.

I should have read the article.

Where did you play? My boy played D-1. Long pole. Chose it over football offers. Said he wanted to walk like a normal human being when he graduated.

Forum List

Back