love--really selfishness?

harmonica

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2017
...what is love?..people say ''I love you''.....but isn't it really just a human saying ''I need human companionship''? emphasis on ''I''
..don't people really do things for the people they love to make themselves feel better?? like giving to charity?
...just like a dog needs companionship?
...why do humans need companionship? loneliness is detrimental to physical and mental health, but it is not directly needed for life

...there are many, many examples of people getting married and being GREATLY ''in love''--but later on they get divorced and HATE each- other -sometimes so much it ends in murder
Dogs Who Are Home Alone All Day | Petfinder

Last edited:
...what is love?..people say ''I love you''.....but isn't it really just a human saying ''I need human companionship''? emphasis on ''I''
..don't people really do things for the people they love to make themselves feel better?? like giving to charity?
...why do humans need companionship? loneliness is detrimental to physical and mental health, but it is not directly needed for life

...there are many, many examples of people getting married and being GREATLY ''in love''--but later on they get divorced and HATE each- other -sometimes so much it ends in murder
No.
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

1 Corinthians 13:4—8

Nah.....Love is throwing yourself in front of danger to spare the one you love.
That is selfless.
If you refuse to,that just means you enjoyed their company and you can find the same elsewhere.

In my case you better be ready to bring it because I sure will be.

No.
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

you are quoting the bible? ?!!?

No.

you are quoting the bible? ?!!?
Good writing is good writing. I've got nothing against religion or others who believe in it.

No.

8 Love never fails.

But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away.

1 Corinthians 13—8 NIV

Why are you comparing human love to the love/loyalty of a dog?

Who knows if dogs 'love'.
I know most dogs are loyal.

If my dog gets stressed out, which can be easy for an Aussie Shepard, he is given 'treats'.

Why are you comparing human love to the love/loyalty of a dog?

Who knows if dogs 'love'.
I know most dogs are loyal.
....I was pointing out the detrimental effects of dogs being lonely--just like humans are affected by being lonely = humans do not really ''love''/need love--or humans are no different than dogs in needing ''love''.....love is not just a human thing

No.

8 Love never fails.

But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away.

1 Corinthians 13—8 NIV
Yeah--I don't know what that means.

Harmonica, do you have any children?

Emotions are mysterious...nobody know what love, hate or other human emotions are.
For centuries philosophers, men of wisdom and religios tried to deal with this issue but they failed...
Maybe there's no answer at all to the question "what is love?" :dunno:

why?

Emotions are mysterious...nobody know what love, hate or other human emotions are.
For centuries philosophers, men of wisdom and religios tried to deal with this issue but they failed...
in my opinion, emotions are evolutionary traits for survival

in my opinion, emotions are evolutionary traits for survival
Personally I think it's possible but nobody knows for sure (and maybe no one will ever know) :)

why?

Because for many people (clearly not all), it is unconditional love. It's cosmic. It is an unbreakable bond that is not centered on trust.

I can see what you are saying when someone dies and there is grieving. People grieve what they have lost. I can see that in romantic relationships when love is conditional.

Forum List

Back