Lucid Dreaming

Anyone here do it?

Lucid dreaming is where you're dreaming, but you've fully aware that you're dreaming, and you go on and do whatever you like without the normal consequences of, say, gravity, the need to breathe, any risk of injury, any social interactions at all, etc. Literally anything is possible.

It requires noticing things that are out of place and then pursuing that thought.

I awoke this morning from an epic lucid dream involving a common theme of being at work yet being inexplicably unable to do the work. I was at this work site and didn't get set up properly and when I tried to set up had no idea how to do it. Then it occurred to me that I had no recent memory of planning for such an event --- no precommunications, no contact people, no travel, no hotel, and looking around I had no idea where in the world I was, although it hadn't occurred to me to wonder that until then.

So I suspected I was in a dream but to make sure I asked a woman at an office desk "do you know what today's date is?" She checked her calendar to be sure and reported it was the "36th of Bradley". Now I had confirmation that everything around me was an illusion. I let the dream continue. It involved taking an elevator to a lower floor, and while the elevator was descending I reasoned that, if this is a dream I don't need to wait for the elevator to stop and the doors to open --- so I just walk out while it's moving, and it works, because why wouldn't it. But that's a decision I make consciously, knowing that everything I see is an illusion anyway.

Also encountered a man in a tuxedo in whose face I threw a cup of coffee, just because why not.

Fun stuff. Hope to do it more. It just requires noticing little things that don't add up and questioning why they don't add up. It doesn't in any way suppress the dreaming -- that continues.

Kind of like being on the Holodeck of the Enterprise, except there's no way to get injured. You literally do whatever you want.
When I was a kid I first learned how to lucid dream by setting an alarm clock to trigger a short time before I normally woke up while I still in REM mode. The alarm would beep and I would turn it off and go back to sleep with full awareness that I was now in controll of the dream.

This is a very good way to catch dreaming that would normally slip away. You could also have a partner who happens to notice you're in REM (by the eyes darting back and forth under the eyelids) and wake you soon after it stops, so that it's fresh.

As far as inducing dreams I've found that ingesting some Dolomite before bed -- say a half-teaspoon stirred into a glass of water --- spurs more dreams, except you can't do it every night or it stops working.

I believe it's the magnesium.

I used to study how to induce lucid dreaming..

kept a dream journal, did the habitual reality checks to prompt the subconscious..

took me down a rabbit hole...meditation.....relaxation techniques...asmr. etc.

learned alot, taught a few friends.

fun times, it takes stringing together some consecutive days of working on it though or else you fall out of it

I am sure some have had the bad ones that the children are in harms way and nothing you can do.
You know its a dream, because the circumstances are so ridiculous, but you can't wake.
Been a while, kids are know grown and on their own.

sleep paralysis is a nice deterrant too....shit is terrible! it starts to happen inadvertantly

kept a dream journal, did the habitual reality checks to prompt the subconscious..

fun times, it takes stringing together some consecutive days of working on it though or else you fall out of it
Mine ends with a wet dream.

I used to read Castaneda and once had a fully awake conversation with a bag of mushroom buttons

I am sure some have had the bad ones that the children are in harms way and nothing you can do.
You know its a dream, because the circumstances are so ridiculous, but you can't wake.
Been a while, kids are know grown and on their own.

I had a dream that my mother had suddenly died. I woke up knowing it had been a dream but worried that it might have been a foretelling. Fortunately it wasn't and she lived many more years.

To parafreud Phrase, "sometimes a dream is just a dream".

Mine ends with a wet dream.

The lucid dreamer woman in my link back there says she had the first recorded dream female orgasm.

--- which is scientific proof that female orgasm exists, if anyone still needs it.

Then there are the music dreams, although this is not (necessarly) lucid... ever have these GT?

I keep a voice recorder by my bed, somewhat for the purpose of recording dreams before they dissipate, but especially for the music ones. I'll dream some melody or some partially-formed song that exists nowhere in my experience and is entirely original. So I want to get it recorded right away before some other already-known music barges in and shoves it aside. I can develop the dream themes later in waking hours.

Paul McCartney has used this sometimes, once waking up with an entire melody playing -- he worked it out on a piano and played it to different people to see if anyone would recognize it, maybe he subconsciously picked it up somewhere. Nobody recognized it, so he put some words to it which became "Yesterday", which I believe made him a wee bit of royalty money. And on another occasion his mother, who had died while he was a kid, came to him in a dream to tell him to relax, and he worked it into "mother Mary comes to me, speaking words of wisdom; 'Let it Be'" (her name was Mary).

So I woke up one time (years ago) hearing this fully-formed instrumental band playing a Samba. I am a Brazil nut but this was a melody unlike any I had ever heard. Clear as a bell, if you gave me a band I could arrange all the clarinet harmonies, percussion, tempo, everything. Great, infectious tune.

So I did what McCartney did --- took it to my fellow Brazil Nut girlfriend and showed her what it sounded like. Right away she said "oh sure. Fred Astaire". :uhh:

To this day I don't know if she was just pulling my chain (she had that kind of sense of humor) but I was crushed. Fred Astaire of all creatures. Oh the shame. :redface: That put a lid on that, didn't it.

I've still got it though. Playing in my head right now, thirty years on.. :eusa_dance:

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: GT

Then there are the music dreams, although this is not (necessarly) lucid... ever have these GT?

I keep a voice recorder by my bed, somewhat for the purpose of recording dreams before they dissipate, but especially for the music ones. I'll dream some melody or some partially-formed song that exists nowhere in my experience and is entirely original. So I want to get it recorded right away before some other already-known music barges in and shoves it aside. I can develop the dream themes later in waking hours.

Paul McCartney has used this sometimes, once waking up with an entire melody playing -- he worked it out on a piano and played it to different people to see if anyone would recognize it, maybe he subconsciously picked it up somewhere. Nobody recognized it, so he put some words to it which became "Yesterday", which I believe made him a wee bit of royalty money. And on another occasion his mother, who had died while he was a kid, came to him in a dream to tell him to relax, and he worked it into "mother Mary comes to me, speaking words of wisdom; 'Let it Be'" (her name was Mary).

So I woke up one time (years ago) hearing this fully-formed instrumental band playing a Samba. I am a Brazil nut but this was a melody unlike any I had ever heard. Clear as a bell, if you gave me a band I could arrange all the clarinet harmonies, percussion, tempo, everything. Great, infectious tune.

So I did what McCartney did --- took it to my fellow Brazil Nut girlfriend and showed her what it sounded like. Right away she said "oh sure. Fred Astaire". :uhh:

To this day I don't know if she was just pulling my chain (she had that kind of sense of humor) but I was crushed. Fred Astaire of all creatures. Oh the shame. :redface:

I've still got it though. Playing in my head right now. :eusa_dance:
I have written entire verses in my dreams, and while I was going through my writing process (its a process) in my dream, it was the same as when Im awake except the words are far more clever, and my memorization after each line (each line written has me re-perform from the beginning) was way better.

I did a podcast about this and while I was gathering research material....I found a lot of lore surrounding the phenomena...like Einstein coming up with theories this way.....The Beatles stuff...

I wish the stories were all real...I mean.... Im just gunna consider it all real because its more fun that way :)

I used to read Castaneda and once had a fully awake conversation with a bag of mushroom buttons

Ah but what did they say?

Did they at least tell you where they live? That would be productive.

Ah but what did they say?

Did they at least tell you where they live? That would be productive.

Hey Frank

Speaking of intentional dreaming and sex --- I think I'll try to dream about Marisa Monte. :D

Since I took that idea, you can intentionally dream about Joe McCarthy's HUAC.

Anyone here do it?

Lucid dreaming is where you're dreaming, but you've fully aware that you're dreaming, and you go on and do whatever you like without the normal consequences of, say, gravity, the need to breathe, any risk of injury, any social interactions at all, etc. Literally anything is possible.

It requires noticing things that are out of place and then pursuing that thought.

I awoke this morning from an epic lucid dream involving a common theme of being at work yet being inexplicably unable to do the work. I was at this work site and didn't get set up properly and when I tried to set up had no idea how to do it. Then it occurred to me that I had no recent memory of planning for such an event --- no precommunications, no contact people, no travel, no hotel, and looking around I had no idea where in the world I was, although it hadn't occurred to me to wonder that until then.

So I suspected I was in a dream but to make sure I asked a woman at an office desk "do you know what today's date is?" She checked her calendar to be sure and reported it was the "36th of Bradley". Now I had confirmation that everything around me was an illusion. I let the dream continue. It involved taking an elevator to a lower floor, and while the elevator was descending I reasoned that, if this is a dream I don't need to wait for the elevator to stop and the doors to open --- so I just walk out while it's moving, and it works, because why wouldn't it. But that's a decision I make consciously, knowing that everything I see is an illusion anyway.

Also encountered a man in a tuxedo in whose face I threw a cup of coffee, just because why not.

Fun stuff. Hope to do it more. It just requires noticing little things that don't add up and questioning why they don't add up. It doesn't in any way suppress the dreaming -- that continues.

Kind of like being on the Holodeck of the Enterprise, except there's no way to get injured. You literally do whatever you want.
When I was a kid I first learned how to lucid dream by setting an alarm clock to trigger a short time before I normally woke up while I still in REM mode. The alarm would beep and I would turn it off and go back to sleep with full awareness that I was now in controll of the dream.

Because of the time dilation that occurs while dreaming, it is an excellent way to develop your visualization skills. I even use it to solve problems. For instance, I can check out a job site and glance over some blueprints before I go to sleep and quickly do the math to find out how much material I'm going to need for a building.

THERE we go. Not only lucid dreaming but intentional dreaming. That's a Nirvana goal, very productive.

I suspect Nikola Tesla did this all the time except he knew how to do it in his waking hours.
Intentional dreaming. That's a great term.
Some call it active meditation. I'm over a half century old and began to learn before I was a teen.

I notice that you mentioned that you used an elevator. That's what I do when I go into a deep meditative state. I let go and feel like I'm falling. It could be difficult sometimes because when I felt like I was falling it tended to break my concentration.

Anyone here do it?

It can be awesome, and sometimes frightfully bad.
I have been able to have lucid dreams for many years. Over time, like you, I got better at it in both awareness and control.
Now of course the control is only partial. I cannot control the flow of happenings, only how I react to it and what I do in the environment.
Although sometimes I can just fly away and then that dream sequence stops to begin another, so there is some degree of the ability to change the "story".
On the bad side, is a lucid nightmare. For me typically it consists of the "false awakening". I am dreaming, then I "wake up". Lying in bed, the right bed, the right room, house etc. But then things start going awry, perhaps a shadow moves...or I see someone standing in the next room etc. These are very bad. You now question is this reality or not?

Anyone here do it?

Because of the time dilation that occurs while dreaming, it is an excellent way to develop your visualization skills. I even use it to solve problems. For instance, I can check out a job site and glance over some blueprints before I go to sleep and quickly do the math to find out how much material I'm going to need for a building.

THERE we go. Not only lucid dreaming but intentional dreaming. That's a Nirvana goal, very productive.

I suspect Nikola Tesla did this all the time except he knew how to do it in his waking hours.
Intentional dreaming. That's a great term.
Some call it active meditation. I'm over a half century old and began to learn before I was a teen.

I notice that you mentioned that you used an elevator. That's what I do when I go into a deep meditative state. I let go and feel like I'm falling. It could be difficult sometimes because when I felt like I was falling it tended to break my concentration.

Yeah the elevator was part of the building and I didn't think about the symbolism thereof (or the symbolism of not taking the second one even lower) but I was more tickled that I could deliberately walk off a moving elevator and get away with it. :lol:

I used to have falling dreams as a kid. Real intense, at least one I still remember where a street in my neighborhood had suddenly opened up into a canyon.

Forum List

Back