M1 Garand Saturday!

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
I picked-up this Springfield Armory M1 Garand this morning at my local pawn shop. $550.00.

g 006 (3).JPG

It was sorta rough finish-wise but cleaned-up OK. Very good bore. No mechanical issues. ME & TE are within spec. All SA parts, and it was rebuilt in '64 going by the barrel date. The receiver was made in November of 1942.

The "story" was it came out of a cache of weapons found in a VC village and brought back but there is no paperwork to back that up. Meh, as usual...."Buy the weapon, not the story". ;)

The only thing that might lend a bit of credence to the story is the Vietnam era "seatbelt" sling and the '64 rebuild date.

220K M1 Garands were sent to Vietnam between '63 and '68 for ARVN forces use and many wound-up either captured or simply given to the VC/NVA.

1966arvn.jpg

Last edited:
I picked-up this Springfield Armory M1 Garand this morning at my local pawn shop. $550.00.

View attachment 739472

It was sorta rough finish-wise but cleaned-up OK. Very good bore. No mechanical issues. ME & TE are within spec. All SA parts, and it was rebuilt in '64 going by the barrel date. The receiver was made in November of 1942.

The "story" was it came out of a cache of weapons found in a VC village and brought back but there is no paperwork to back that up. Meh, as usual...."Buy the weapon, not the story". ;)

The only thing that might lend a bit of credence to the story is the Vietnam era "seatbelt" sling and the '64 rebuild date.

220K M1 Garands were sent to Vietnam between '63 and '68 for ARVN forces use and many wound-up either captured or simply given to the VC/NVA.

1966arvn.jpg
Wonder how many Americans that gook killed with that?

View attachment 739479

1966arvn.jpg
American weapons given to the South Vietnamese.....never fired....only dropped once.

American weapons given to the South Vietnamese.....never fired....only dropped once.
There was a huge M1 Garand rebuilding program in '64 at SA and none were sent to Vietnam that year. I suspect my Garand was part of that what with the '64 barrel date.

Half the M1 Garands sent there were from '65-'68.

Swapped mine out for an M-14 in 1963. My train fire scores were,

M1-Sharpshooter
M-14- Expert (twice)

Would have shot expert with the M1 but the 20-to-50-meter silhouette targets were all shot to hell by previous classes. We were told to shoot in the dirt in front of them to try to put them down. Had better targets later when testing with the M-14.

Swapped mine out for an M-14 in 1963. My train fire scores were,

M1-Sharpshooter
M-14- Expert (twice)

Would have shot expert with the M1 but the 20-to-50-meter silhouette targets were all shot to hell by previous classes. We were told to shoot in the dirt in front of them to try to put them down. Had better targets later when testing with the M-14.
Another way to describe EX-PERT is a DRIP formerly under pressure.

View attachment 739479

1966arvn.jpg
$550?

You stole it.

Forum List

Back