Magnitude 5.2 Strikes Near Bakersfield, Boulder Blocked Lanes of Interstate 5

I've been through lots of earthquakes but the most surreal one of all was the Loma Prieta quake. I mean, part of the Bay Bridge actually collapsed, as well tons of other insane damage all over the Bay Area....it was literally like a disaster movie. o_O I was working at Nordstrom at the time and the damage was unreal. Not the building itself, because thankfully it was built with earthquakes in mind, but everything inside got shaken up like crazy.
Watched it on TV in the bar..we thought we were going to watch the World Series..but no--much better entertainment was on tap!

I was in the 1971 Sylmar Quake. It dropped the exterior wall in the bedroom and the living room. Also knocked down the cinder-block fence in the back yard.
i was cooking breakfast and the frying pan dropped on my foot, eggs, hot grease and all that.
I've been in numerous quakes in the Northwest, some of greater magnitude....but nothing felt like that one~
That was a big 'un

I was in the 1971 Sylmar Quake. It dropped the exterior wall in the bedroom and the living room. Also knocked down the cinder-block fence in the back yard.
i was cooking breakfast and the frying pan dropped on my foot, eggs, hot grease and all that.
I've been in numerous quakes in the Northwest, some of greater magnitude....but nothing felt like that one~

Same here.
My aunt was inside the Olive View hospital when it fell over.

1723076441062.png

I've been through lots of earthquakes but the most surreal one of all was the Loma Prieta quake. I mean, part of the Bay Bridge actually collapsed, as well tons of other insane damage all over the Bay Area....it was literally like a disaster movie. o_O I was working at Nordstrom at the time and the damage was unreal. Not the building itself, because thankfully it was built with earthquakes in mind, but everything inside got shaken up like crazy.
Not to mention the collapses of the double decker freeways in Oakland and on the SF wharf and the injuries, death and destruction of those.

That was a big 'un
The thing about the Sylmar quake was that it had an insane amount of horizontal shift to it..the most recorded up to that time, and much more than the egg-heads had thought was possible. It was a huge jerk....or really a series of jerks sideways with some up and down thrown in.

Last edited:
Same here.
My aunt was inside the Olive View hospital when it fell over.

View attachment 991830
I remember the Veteran's Hospital took a lot of damage also. It became a bit of a scandal, as I recall--and led to a bunch of changes.
I left the next year, but I soon found that a lot of places have earthquakes..and I seemed to have an affinity...LOL!

I was in the Nisqually Quake in Seattle...they say it was bigger..6.8 vs 6.5....but I did not feel nearly as tossed about~

I was living out 35th. and Balboa in San Francisco. First the house moved left and right and it jumped, I jumped up and down. I found me very strong table hide under. My wife didn't home for over an hour. She was a Muni Bus that stopped every block to people off.

Watched it on TV in the bar..we thought we were going to watch the World Series..but no--much better entertainment was on tap!

I remember being crazy worried about my mom...because she was working in the city at the time, and she was at the BART station, just minutes before getting on a train to commute to East Bay.

I have no idea what it was like for anyone who was on BART underwater when it happened... but just the thought of being in an underwater tunnel when a big earthquake hits freaks me out. :omg:

The thing about the Sylmar quake was that it had an insane amount of horizontal shift to it..the most recorded up to that time, and much more than the egg-heads had thought was possible. It was a huge jerk....or really a series of jerks sideways with some up and down thrown in.
If you recall the cover art for the Doobie Bros. 1972 album, The Captain and Me, it featured the collapsed I5/CA14 interchange after the Sylmar quake.

I remember being crazy worried about my mom...because she was working in the city at the time, and she was at the BART station, just minutes before getting on a train to commute to East Bay.

I have no idea what it was like for anyone who was on BART underwater when it happened... but just the thought of being in an underwater tunnel when a big earthquake hits freaks me out. :omg:

The day after the earthquake, my wife and I went to help out at St. Anthony Foundation. Both she and I worked there. I helped make something one thousand pb&j sandwiches. One sandwich, one piece of fruit, and one juice per bag. Hard work, but needed.

Forum List

Back