Man served 10 years for rape he didn't commit

I see the point sailed blissfully and completely over your head.

Pitiful.

Let me guess -- "the left" all look alike to you, right?

The left is a corrosive idealogy that can be found in all walks of life. Their ideas and philosohpies look like, but the people who hold to those philosophies come from all walks of life. Much like conservatives can be found in all walks of life.

After 50+ years of the left calling their opponents stupid or idiots, or any sort of other name in an attempt to squelch actual discussions on issues, there is no disputing that it's a typical tactic from their playbook.

Last edited:
We are at war with Islamic Extremists. or havent you been paying attention to the news since before 9/11?

That's not what your prior post said, or don't you read your own stuff?

There are maybe one or two fringe people who hate blacks. More hate Muslims, I dont agree with them, but I certainly understand why considering we are at war.

-- means it's "understandable" to hate blacks and Muslims because we are at war. The inevitable conclusion is "with them". Now you're changing the direct object from "blacks and Muslims" to "extremists". That's a completely different thing.

I know what I wrote. I wrote it. The fact that you cannot understand grammar and feel the need to link it to another sentence doesn't change what I said.

There's no "link to another sentence"; the quote is quoted verbatim, uninterrupted and in context.

So by all means feel free to explain how the quoted text doesn't mean what it says it means, and how you're not moving your goalposts from "blacks and Muslims" to "extremists"...? Those are two different direct objects, are they not? An "extremist" may or may not be black, and may or may not be Muslim; a black may or may not be an "extremist", ditto a Muslim. Ergo two different things.

Pitiful.

The left is a corrosive idealogy that can be found in all walks of life. Their ideas and philosohpies look like, but the people who hold to those philosophies come from all walks of life. Much like conservatives can be found in all walks of life.

After 50+ years of the left calling their opponents stupid or idiots, or any sort of other name in an attempt to squelch actual discussions on issues, there is disputing that it's a typical tactic from their playbook.

I presume you meant "there is no disputing"?

But there is.
I can't believe I have to link something this simple...

Whether you think it's a good idea or not is irrelavant. But the fact that it's common throughout history makes the argument that it's "cruel and unusual punishment" completely incorrect.

There is restitution and redress. It just doesn't come from the government.

Well, whether it is cruel and unusual is entirely subjective. Considering how far other judgements and morals have changed over time, the fact that executions have gone on throughout history is still not an extremely compelling argument one way or another. It may not be unusual but still be considered cruel. But I didn't realize that was the point you were making, sorry for the misread.

I assume you are speaking of god and the afterlife when you say there is restitution and redress.
Whether there is some form of redress in an afterlife doesn't seem particularly relevant to a discussion of justice and executions performed by the government, especially a secular government.
More, that there may be redress for the wrongs done after death could be used as an excuse to execute anyone and everyone; if the executions were performed wrongly, well, don't worry, the people will be recompensed in the afterlife! Now put the next one on the table. :tongue:

The standard is Cruel and Unusual. Not cruel or unusual

I suppose you could use that logic to kill people if you completely ignore everything else God taught about loving our neighbors and such.

Capital punishment is justice at times.

I accept that capital punishment is a valid form of punishment at times. The only issue I have is my inability to trust to the infallibility of our justice system. I don't doubt that many criminals deserve death or worse, but the possibility of killing someone who is innocent is the more important consideration in my mind.

It is not that uncommon for people to be wrongly convicted. That is why we should all be against capital punishment, so we don't execute innocent people.

There's no perfect system, and you don't remove legitimate justice (execution) because of accidents/mistakes in the application of justice. This type of mistake is becoming particularly less prevalent as technology advances.

Very true. Which is why I asked when the last innocent person was executed.

I think if anything, we should probably use capital punishment more than we do. But for some reason the Supreme Court has ruled it's cruel and unusual punishment to do so for any crimes except very serious murder cases despite the fact that capital punishment has existed throughout the world since the begining of history. Some rapists, pedophiles, and Robbers should recieve capital punishment in certain circumstances.

Are you really saying that, just because something has been a common practice throughout history it should be acceptable now?

I don't want to twist your words but that's how it reads.

There's no perfect system, and you don't remove legitimate justice (execution) because of accidents/mistakes in the application of justice. This type of mistake is becoming particularly less prevalent as technology advances.

I think if anything, we should probably use capital punishment more than we do. But for some reason the Supreme Court has ruled it's cruel and unusual punishment to do so for any crimes except very serious murder cases despite the fact that capital punishment has existed throughout the world since the begining of history. Some rapists, pedophiles, and Robbers should recieve capital punishment in certain circumstances.

Are you really saying that, just because something has been a common practice throughout history it should be acceptable now?

No. Im saying that no one can honestly argue that it's cruel and unusual punishment when it's been so completely widespread.

We can debate on the merits of whether it's justified or not till the sun goes down. It's still not going to be cruel and unusual.

Pitiful.

After 50+ years of the left calling their opponents stupid or idiots, or any sort of other name in an attempt to squelch actual discussions on issues, there is disputing that it's a typical tactic from their playbook.

But there is.

You didn't. It's completely irrelevant to the conversation. There is no hasty or faulty generalization.

Name calling is a typical tactic from the left's playbook. This does not mean that all leftists do this. Just that it's typical. Which is completely true.

No. Im saying that no one can honestly argue that it's cruel and unusual punishment when it's been so completely widespread.

We can debate on the merits of whether it's justified or not till the sun goes down. It's still not going to be cruel and unusual.

Interesting.
Do we include crucifixion, hang, draw & quartering, crushing with heavy stones...I suppose we do since your contention is simply that execution by definition isn't cruel and unusual?

Does this acceptance of historical precedent extend to other activities as well, or is it just execution?

But there is.

You didn't. It's completely irrelevant to the conversation. There is no hasty or faulty generalization.

Name calling is a typical tactic from the left's playbook. This does not mean that all leftists do this. Just that it's typical. Which is completely true.

Unbelievable. You deny a fallacy of generalization and then immediately go right back to it.
:banghead:

This is what you guys fixated on labels don't get: not everyone buys the premise that labels have any legitimacy at all, just because you do.
Not everyone believes in the philosophy of Lockstep. Many of us have actually discovered that people are individuals with free will. Who knew.

There is no absolute trait of "the left". There is no "playbook". And yes, your use of these terms DOES mean that all "leftists" (whatever they are) "do this". That's exactly what it means.

And ironically, not only is it a fallacy that cripples the argument-- it's a tool to do exactly what you've accused your opponent of: accusing your adversary of ad hominem via a logical fallacy, IS ad hominem. Thus you've convicted your adversary of nothing, only convicted yourself.

Some of us prefer not to be dehumanized, thanks all the same.

Last edited:

Countries that currently employ the death penalty:

People's Republic of China
Iran
Saudi Arabia
Iraq
United States
Yemen
North Korea
Somalia
Sudan
Bangladesh
South Sudan
Taiwan
Singapore
Palestinian National Authority
Afghanistan
Belarus
Egypt
United Arab Emirates
Malaysia
Syria

Is that really "widespread"? We're the only first-world country on the list.

Perhaps forgiveness would be a better way. Not at all easily. It could be a very bitter cup. But forgiving the ex would create more harmony and peace in the family. And the children could have both parents in their life.

If I were the man, I would refuse to drink from the forgiveness cup since I was the one that spent 10 years in prison being raped and beat up on and locked behind bars all due to a LIE. Bitter cup indeed. I'd be looking for some major paybacks once I got out....if ever.

The liberal strategy: When you run out of argument, accuse someone of racism and compare them to Hitler. You libs need a new angle.

The conservative stratgies: !) A conservative moron tells an intelligent liberal she/he isn't 'too smart.' All that does is make us laugh. Do you have any idea how just plain funny and absurd it is to have a dimwit call an intelligent person stupid? You need to stop doing that cause they are just laughing at you. 2) The conservative right winger repeatedly says racists things and when called on it turns the tables and says it is the liberal who is the racist because he/she 'brought it up.' Cute trick (not) and it doesn't work on anyone but yourselves. You want to believe you're not a racist. In fact, you are so desperate to deny it, you turn it around on everyone else and say they are the racists. The bottom line is the people who are of the race or the ethnicity or religion or culture you don't like are damn certain you are a bigot and a racist, so, again, the only one you're fooling is yourself. The rest of us are laughing at you.
You may very well be the dumbest person on this forum. The intelligent members can look at your posts and see what I'm talking about, but I don't think you can see it. That's what's funny.

Her point....just made.

The conservative stratgies: !) A conservative moron tells an intelligent liberal she/he isn't 'too smart.' All that does is make us laugh. Do you have any idea how just plain funny and absurd it is to have a dimwit call an intelligent person stupid? You need to stop doing that cause they are just laughing at you. 2) The conservative right winger repeatedly says racists things and when called on it turns the tables and says it is the liberal who is the racist because he/she 'brought it up.' Cute trick (not) and it doesn't work on anyone but yourselves. You want to believe you're not a racist. In fact, you are so desperate to deny it, you turn it around on everyone else and say they are the racists. The bottom line is the people who are of the race or the ethnicity or religion or culture you don't like are damn certain you are a bigot and a racist, so, again, the only one you're fooling is yourself. The rest of us are laughing at you.
You may very well be the dumbest person on this forum. The intelligent members can look at your posts and see what I'm talking about, but I don't think you can see it. That's what's funny.

Her point....just made.
You run a close second, although you may be tied with pogo.

Black, white, green, purple...it doesn't matter the color of this poor guys skin. What matters is a woman used her daughter to put away the man she had that daughter with...and it worked. She then died and the daughter came clean at 15? Why did she wait so long? Shame on her. She was old enough by then to know right from wrong.

Women use this often when divorce is in the picture. And most believe the woman, so the man goes to jail and is ruined forever by being branded a child molester or rapist. When it comes out that the woman lied...SHE needs to take the place of the man and thrown in jail.

And then instead of losing a father to lies, the children would lose their mother as well. Either way, they are bereft of a parent.

Perhaps forgiveness would be a better way. Not at all easily. It could be a very bitter cup. But forgiving the ex would create more harmony and peace in the family. And the children could have both parents in their life.

A false accusation should be punished by the same penalty as the crime that is falsely accused, PLUS jail time for perjury. In addition, that person should never again be allowed to give testimony in any court in the country under any circumstances.

Forum List

Back