Many of today's college dissidents have never obviously understood the First Amendment...

healthmyths

Platinum Member
Sep 19, 2011
Amendment I
Congress shall make no law respecting
an establishment of religion,
or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;
or abridging the freedom of speech,
or of the press;
or the right of the people peaceably to assemble,
and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
First Amendment

I thought maybe more of us should read this again in context with what Brenda Smith-Lezama, vice president of the Missouri Students Association, advocated for more “safe spaces” on campus to provide a place for “healing” for students said.
I personally am tired of hearing that First Amendment rights protect students when they are creating a hostile and unsafe learning environment for myself and for other students here,” Smith-Lezama said. “I think that it’s important for us to create that distinction and create a space where we can all learn from one another and start to create a place of healing rather than a place where we are experiencing a lot of hate like we have in the past.
Mizzou Student VP: 1st Amendment Creates ‘Hostile and Unsafe Learning Environment’

I guess my first question to Ms. Smith-Lezama is can you give me more concrete examples of
how they have "experienced a lot of hate"?
I mean has she experienced statements like this:
"I hate white people. All of them. Every last iota of a cracker, I hate it. We didn't come out here to play today. There's too much serious business going on in the black community to be out here sliding through South Street with white, dirty, cracker whore bitches on our arms, and we call ourselves black men. … What the hell is wrong with you black man? You at a doomsday with a white girl on your damn arm. We keep begging white people for freedom! No wonder we not free! Your enemy cannot make you free, fool! You want freedom? You going to have to kill some crackers! You going to have to kill some of their babies!"
— King Samir Shabazz, head of the party's Philadelphia chapter, in a National Geographic documentary, January 2009

Does Ms. Smith-Lezama think King Shabazz hasn't a right to assemble and make statements like the above and she wants us whites to have a place where we won't experience a "lot of hate" as is evidenced in this statement.

An army of hyper-sensitive narcissists.

They are zealots. You'd have no better luck trying to communicate with a wild-eyed teenager on the streets of Damascus.

Forum List

Back