Market at 15K, UE down to 7.5..

And labor force participation rate drops to the lowest since 1978.. sounds like more phoney numbers in UE to brag about as more people have to leave the work force, got tired of looking, etc....

That's a myth.

I would direct you to look at those on Social Security disability and see where that has gone. It's going up; those people are not counted in the UE numbers. Obama (like his predacessors) is ignoring it.

Trends With Benefits | This American Life

490_lg.jpg

What is important to remember in the short-term is that adding jobs is better than shedding jobs....the dynamic hasn't changed in the last 2 decades (at least).

However in the Macro, we're barely treading water...people who have stopped looking for work or at least some of them move from one type of government hand out (unemployment compensation) to another (social security disability) when the former runs out.

The new unemployment claims news is a better short-term indicator. There is no data on it but I would be interested in seeing how many "new" claims are for the recently employed versus people who have been on the job for more than 5 years or so. Meaning that you get re-hired by a company to do what amounts to a project and once it moves on, you get released.

This would be easy to deal with if congress had the will to do so. It doesn't. Many companies have been moving from employees to consultants., domestically. That's been changing, however, on it's own. There's a hidden expense in that. Especially in the tech field.

If you're going to sink a lot of money into the economy focus on 3 things.
1# Education
2# Science/Technology
3# infrastructure

The first two will keep our edge with the rest of the world and the last one just makes sense if you want to be a first world nation. Otherwise, I'd stop kissing the ass of idiotic ceo's of corporations that make bad choices.

You named 3 things the GOP is opposed to investing in. Are you catching on yet?

1# Education
2# Science/Technology
3# infrastructure

The first two will keep our edge with the rest of the world and the last one just makes sense if you want to be a first world nation. Otherwise, I'd stop kissing the ass of idiotic ceo's of corporations that make bad choices.

He is..albeit slowly.

Personally, I like Matt.

:eusa_shhh:

And no credit to Obama from conservatives... :lol:
6 years and counting and we are still not out of the woods….

What ‘credit’ do you want us to give him? You did realize that the economy is going to recover right?

Decent numbers today, real estate is clearly firming up.

Earnings are good, but revenues are still lousy. That just means that companies are lean and efficient, doing more with less, but we're still not spending enough. This rally isn't based on strong fundamentals, which is a little scary. Companies in general aren't yet ready to take a chance, too much shit to deal with.

The Fed sees this and is gonna keep a-pumpin' in the (borrowed) cash. The more they pump in now, the more they have to suck out later.

Anyone who is predicting the future is guessing.

Overall government spending is way down. Down farther then Bush or Reagan as a percentage of GDP. And still job creation in the private sector is doing better than Bush.

I'll make a prediction, the country's turned a corner.

Things are getting better.

DESPITE conservative obstruction.
And yet saying that the recovery is happening DESPITE Obama is somehow pure bullshit.

Double standard anyone?

Earnings are good, but revenues are still lousy. That just means that companies are lean and efficient, doing more with less, but we're still not spending enough. This rally isn't based on strong fundamentals, which is a little scary. Companies in general aren't yet ready to take a chance, too much shit to deal with.

The Fed sees this and is gonna keep a-pumpin' in the (borrowed) cash. The more they pump in now, the more they have to suck out later.

Overall government spending is way down. Down farther then Bush or Reagan as a percentage of GDP. And still job creation in the private sector is doing better than Bush.

Reminds me of The Postman with Kevin Costner....

Things are getting better.....

Course it took a hundred years or so but technically he was right

6 years and counting and we are still not out of the woods….

What ‘credit’ do you want us to give him? You did realize that the economy is going to recover right?

And yet saying that the recovery is happening DESPITE Obama is somehow pure bullshit.

Double standard anyone?

Naw.

Reagan went into his second term with 7% UE and that's with all the massive government spending he did in the first term. In addition to military spending that went into overdrive, states were given money to hire cops. teachers, firemen..

Then Reagan's second term the deregulation kicked in, along with tax hikes and more government spending and the economy got better..albeit..there were massive bailouts that were necessary when it was over..and another tax hike to cover the spending in Poppa Bush's term.

Obama's been doing this despite the gridlock.

Seems that QE, the stimulus and saving the Auto industry are paying off. And compared to Reagan and Bush II? On the cheap!

1# Education
2# Science/Technology
3# infrastructure

He is..albeit slowly.

Personally, I like Matt.

:eusa_shhh:

I have no issues with Matt. He's reasonable and doesn't resort to personal attacks. Which is more than I can say about most of the posters here. Including myself at times.

Prove what?

Conservatives have led a record breaking number of filibusters. They've authored the worst congressional gridlock in the history of the United States.

Unless you have 60 in the Senate, you'e at the mercy of the minority.

Not really.

Back in the day..lots of horse trading was done to get things done.

This is a new thing.

Polarization has made it a 60 vote proposition. That and the debt of course.

That's a myth.

I would direct you to look at those on Social Security disability and see where that has gone. It's going up; those people are not counted in the UE numbers. Obama (like his predacessors) is ignoring it.

490_lg.jpg

What is important to remember in the short-term is that adding jobs is better than shedding jobs....the dynamic hasn't changed in the last 2 decades (at least).

However in the Macro, we're barely treading water...people who have stopped looking for work or at least some of them move from one type of government hand out (unemployment compensation) to another (social security disability) when the former runs out.

The new unemployment claims news is a better short-term indicator. There is no data on it but I would be interested in seeing how many "new" claims are for the recently employed versus people who have been on the job for more than 5 years or so. Meaning that you get re-hired by a company to do what amounts to a project and once it moves on, you get released.

This would be easy to deal with if congress had the will to do so. It doesn't. Many companies have been moving from employees to consultants., domestically. That's been changing, however, on it's own. There's a hidden expense in that. Especially in the tech field.

You can blame Congress for a lot of things...the SSD isn't one of them. What happens is that you file a claim for SSD and usually 1/3 of the people get it, 2/3 are rejected--on average. The 2/3 that are rejected can go to a judge to get the rejection appealed and if they bring an attorney with them...they have a good chance of getting the judge to grant them disability.

When that happens, the government has nobody arguing that Jane Doe isn't disabled and shouldn't get the money which is about $1,000 per month. Seems like the Excecutive has the responsibility to get a lawyer over to the SS office where the decisions are made and argue the reason for the rejection in the first place. The lawyer (Binder and Binder) gets a check from the Government as well as the "disabled". B&B last year got over $600 Million. All together, we're spending over $200 Billion on SSD...this is in the age of OSHA and all other programs that were desigend to prtect you from dangerous workplaces, dangerous food substances, promote health, etc...

Sure Congress and both parties are culpable in this economy being where it is at. Which, in my view, is a good reason to reject any member of Congress running for Presdient in 2016...

They are part of the problem. Pick a member...John McCain, Nancy Pelosi--been ther for decades and haven't done anything except stand there and watch the checkbook be abused.

Any semblance of a strong recovery is going to start from the bottom and move upward. It will happen as the 75 million young people in this country begin to start their own families. Many have been holding off, but they have also been paying off debt. Once things start to turn, the economy is going to take off. We're not far away from the start of something big. I am a very big optimist in the future of America.

Except for that train wreck coming over the hill. Obamacare = 1/7 of the economy. Add in thousands of pages of new business regulations, and this economy is not going anywhere very fast, or very soon.

Prove what?

Conservatives have led a record breaking number of filibusters. They've authored the worst congressional gridlock in the history of the United States.

Good thing too.

:lol:

Gotta love you guys.

You really want to see the US go down the tubes.

Reading comprehension trouble today again Sallow?

I said it's a good thing Congress is stopped. I said nothing about the country. In fact, stopping obama and the dems is KEEPING the country from going down the tubes.

490_lg.jpg

You can blame Congress for a lot of things...the SSD isn't one of them. What happens is that you file a claim for SSD and usually 1/3 of the people get it, 2/3 are rejected--on average. The 2/3 that are rejected can go to a judge to get the rejection appealed and if they bring an attorney with them...they have a good chance of getting the judge to grant them disability.

When that happens, the government has nobody arguing that Jane Doe isn't disabled and shouldn't get the money which is about $1,000 per month. Seems like the Excecutive has the responsibility to get a lawyer over to the SS office where the decisions are made and argue the reason for the rejection in the first place. The lawyer (Binder and Binder) gets a check from the Government as well as the "disabled". B&B last year got over $600 Million. All together, we're spending over $200 Billion on SSD...this is in the age of OSHA and all other programs that were desigend to prtect you from dangerous workplaces, dangerous food substances, promote health, etc...

Sure Congress and both parties are culpable in this economy being where it is at. Which, in my view, is a good reason to reject any member of Congress running for Presdient in 2016...

They are part of the problem. Pick a member...John McCain, Nancy Pelosi--been ther for decades and haven't done anything except stand there and watch the checkbook be abused.

Sure you can. Congress, in generally has been helping along one of the biggest attacks on Labor, ever, in this country. It did absolutely nothing when Reagan broke the Air Traffic Controllers Union and has done doing to curtail the erosion of labor rights. Quite the opposite, it's been helping along mergers, making it profitable to ship jobs overseas and the changes in the overtime rules had a huge negative impact on wages. That and cutting funding on states for civil hires has made the labor market extremely flabby. With no job prospects and capricious private sector policy for layoffs ( can you say "Right to work" ) it's made SSD very attractive to older workers disenfranchised by today's labor market.

This is a relatively easy problem to solve as well. But corporate money has made it all but impossible to do so.

Good thing too.

Gotta love you guys.

I said it's a good thing Congress is stopped. I said nothing about the country. In fact, stopping obama and the dems is KEEPING the country from going down the tubes.

Government spending, each and every time during times of great economic distress, has always led the way in this country..to recovery.

From FDR to Reagan.

And your radical, anti-American, conservative congress skitters, are trying to stop this recovery simply because they don't like the guy in the white house.

It's nothing new. Last Democrat in the white house, they impeached and shut down government, twice.

They are more than willing to take down the entire country and cause vast suffering to further their ideology.

Gotta love you guys.

Government spending, each and every time during times of great economic distress, has always led the way in this country..to recovery.

From FDR to Reagan.

And your radical, anti-American, conservative congress skitters, are trying to stop this recovery simply because they don't like the guy in the white house.

It's nothing new. Last Democrat in the white house, they impeached and shut down government, twice.

They are more than willing to take down the entire country and cause vast suffering to further their ideology.

Yes, he was impeached for lying under oath (an illegal act) and lying to the American people for having an affair. Remind me what the left had to say about Petraeus? If I remember correctly, there sure was not a whole lot of ‘it doesn’t matter’ when it was a righty that had done this (except that what he did was not actually against the law).

There is that double standard again.

And then there was the government shutdown that you referred to and likened it to destroying the country…

Except that no one really even noticed the ‘shutdown.’ Zero pain for that little incident but keep on believing that the right is ‘evil.’ That is not going to get you anywhere though…

Look like Swallow is going down......

And Avorysucks, the resident faggot at USMB..opens his fucking mouth in an attempt to swallow the jiz of the big bad wolf.

Sorry..gay boi. Answer's still no.

I am gay, why are being such a bigot to me? Why do you hate gays? Why does the left on these boards support a gay hating bigot like yourself?

Why are record profits on wallstreet a good thing now when 5 years ago it represented the evil nature of America?

More revisionist history on your part.

Profits then and now are thought to be good. When you find out that they were making their money by giving loans to people whom they knew couldn't pay them back and using shady tactics; it became a bad thing. I suspect in 4 years, you'll be able to say the same thing about today's "good" news.

Look like Swallow is going down......

And Avorysucks, the resident faggot at USMB..opens his fucking mouth in an attempt to swallow the jiz of the big bad wolf.

Sorry..gay boi. Answer's still no.

I am gay, why are being such a bigot to me? Why do you hate gays? Why does the left on these boards support a gay hating bigot like yourself?

Seriously, WTF Sallow. I don’t agree with much that you have to say but have never pegged you as a bigot before.

I guess if you don’t agree with his insanity then you are free game – not cool.

Sure you can. Congress, in generally has been helping along one of the biggest attacks on Labor, ever, in this country. It did absolutely nothing when Reagan broke the Air Traffic Controllers Union and has done doing to curtail the erosion of labor rights. Quite the opposite, it's been helping along mergers, making it profitable to ship jobs overseas and the changes in the overtime rules had a huge negative impact on wages. That and cutting funding on states for civil hires has made the labor market extremely flabby. With no job prospects and capricious private sector policy for layoffs ( can you say "Right to work" ) it's made SSD very attractive to older workers disenfranchised by today's labor market.

This is a relatively easy problem to solve as well. But corporate money has made it all but impossible to do so.

Oh bullshit.

It would be a lot like blaming a crime wave in a small town on the plant closing down in the small town.

Dishonesty is dishonesty no matter what the cause. This IS NOT the case of someone stealing a loaf of bread to feed their hungry baby; this is fraud; plain and simple. There are jobs out there and, I'm sorry, you work for the money you spend.

Congress doesn't prevent Obama or any other administration from putting a collar on the obvious fraud that is taking place.

And, yes, I do realize that you can make more on SSD than at In and Out Burger. Tough; you work at In and Out instead of claiming you're disabled by hypertension or arthritis.

You know what's really funny? Obama said the whole economy would crash if the Sequester was allowed to happen.

Guess what? It happened! And yet, the Dow hit 15K and unemployment is at 7.5% So much for "The sky is falling!"

Forum List

Back