Maryland Gov. Martin O’Malley presses lawmakers for handgun licenses for residents

Dont Taz Me Bro

Diamond Member
Staff member
Senior USMB Moderator
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 17, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
First of all, his proposal is grossly unconstitutional as it can easily be argued that the license and $100 application fee put an undue burden on a protected civil right.

Second, isn't it interesting how the same people who railed against Voter ID laws on the basis that they would also put an undue burden on the protected right to vote have absolutely no problem infringing on everyone's Second Amendment rights?

Maryland Gov. Martin O'Malley will urge state lawmakers on Wednesday to pass legislation requiring residents to obtain a license before purchasing a handgun, but Second Amendment advocates hope to drown out his message.

Mr. O'Malley, a Democrat, will testify before the Senate Judicial Proceedings Committee in favor of his bill, which would also ban assault weapons, limit magazine capacities to 10 rounds and require prospective gun buyers to complete a safety course and pay a $100 application fee.

However, gun-rights advocates will descend upon Annapolis to rally against a bill that they say tramples on gun owners’ rights and won’t stop criminals who carry illegal guns.

Maryland Gov. Martin O'Malley presses lawmakers for handgun licenses for residents - Washington Times

First of all, his proposal is grossly unconstitutional as it can easily be argued that the license and $100 application fee put an undue burden on a protected civil right.

Second, isn't it interesting how the same people who railed against Voter ID laws on the basis that they would also put an undue burden on the protected right to vote have absolutely no problem infringing on everyone's Second Amendment rights?

Maryland Gov. Martin O'Malley will urge state lawmakers on Wednesday to pass legislation requiring residents to obtain a license before purchasing a handgun, but Second Amendment advocates hope to drown out his message.

Mr. O'Malley, a Democrat, will testify before the Senate Judicial Proceedings Committee in favor of his bill, which would also ban assault weapons, limit magazine capacities to 10 rounds and require prospective gun buyers to complete a safety course and pay a $100 application fee.

However, gun-rights advocates will descend upon Annapolis to rally against a bill that they say tramples on gun owners’ rights and won’t stop criminals who carry illegal guns.

Maryland Gov. Martin O'Malley presses lawmakers for handgun licenses for residents - Washington Times

Well said.

In addition to questioning the bill’s impact on law-abiding citizens, Mr. Smigiel argued that the legislation’s licensing and training costs will discourage lower-income residents who might want to purchase a handgun for protection.
Above quote from Maryland Gov. Martin O'Malley presses lawmakers for handgun licenses for residents - Washington Times

Baltimore has a large proportion of residents who are lower income. If their financial situation is so difficult that they cannot afford the licensing fee, how are they going to afford to provide a secure means (like a gun safe) in their homes in which to store the weapon?

Last edited:
In addition to questioning the bill’s impact on law-abiding citizens, Mr. Smigiel argued that the legislation’s licensing and training costs will discourage lower-income residents who might want to purchase a handgun for protection.
Above quote from Maryland Gov. Martin O'Malley presses lawmakers for handgun licenses for residents - Washington Times

Baltimore has a large proportion of residents who are lower income. If their financial situation is so difficult that they cannot afford the licensing fee, how are they going to afford to provide a secure means (like a gun safe) in their homes in which to store the weapon?

Who has a gun safe?

I've owned weapons for nearly 40 years and not a one has ever been in a safe.

A gun in a safe might as well be at the store.

The only way I might ever buy a gun safe is if I had collectables to put in there.

Who has a gun safe?

The only way I might ever buy a gun safe is if I had collectables to put in there.

Same here. And the locks that now come with firearms (required by law) are always the first things to hit the trash can after opening the box.

Who has a gun safe?

I guess that your home situation has no resemblance to that of the mother of Adam Lanza, who on Dec. 14 shot his mother four times while she slept in Newtown CT.
I guess that you also don't worry about someone breaking into your home and stealing your firearms while you are away from your home.

Forum List

Back