Math Question

Pumpkin Row

Platinum Member
May 26, 2016
So, I was studying math, using a math program. The question was asked using decimals, and I answered in decimals, but it was counted wrong. I swapped the answer into fractions, and it was counted right.

Hypothetically, if I were to answer a question on a written test, and it doesn't specify whether the answer should be a decimal or a fraction, could the teacher count it wrong if I don't answer in the form they wanted? Would it matter, since the decimal and the fraction would mean the same thing?

Kids these days, geez whiz.

I hear back in olden days before calculators many got straight A's leaving fractions vs. Calculating the decimal number as it was too painful. why work?

I supoose one could write out =0.1666666667...... until the computer quit complaining. Or write down 1/6?

Hope this helps......you're welcome in advance.

Last edited:
Sounds like a glitch in the software. If you are taking a math exam the teacher should say. If not, you should ask. I would imagine the answer should be given in the form it was asked.

So, I was studying math, using a math program. The question was asked using decimals, and I answered in decimals, but it was counted wrong. I swapped the answer into fractions, and it was counted right.

Hypothetically, if I were to answer a question on a written test, and it doesn't specify whether the answer should be a decimal or a fraction, could the teacher count it wrong if I don't answer in the form they wanted? Would it matter, since the decimal and the fraction would mean the same thing?

You need to know the format that they want it shown in.

You should know what your teacher expects at this point, especially based off of examples provided.

However when in doubt, you can always ask.

Depends what the course is and how it is used..

You should know what your teacher expects at this point, especially based off of examples provided.

I only really speak to the teacher for tests, otherwise all of my school work is done at home. Up to this point, I had always just assumed that the problem should be answered in the way it was asked.

For example, in decimals if asked in decimals, or in fractions if asked in fractions. It legitimately makes no sense to me to ask in decimals but to want the answer in fractions without specifically stating it.

I hear back in olden days before calculators many got straight A's leaving fractions vs. Calculating the decimal number as it was too painful. why work?

I supoose one could write out =0.1666666667...... until the computer quit complaining. Or write down 1/6?

I was just assuming the answer was supposed to be in the same format as the question, otherwise I'd have just used fractions because, as you said, they're easier.

I was just assuming the answer was supposed to be in the same format as the question, otherwise I'd have just used fractions because, as you said, they're easier.
Unless otherwise directed .......typically a question asked in fractions is answered as a fraction. A question in decimals answered in decimals

I only really speak to the teacher for tests, otherwise all of my school work is done at home. Up to this point, I had always just assumed that the problem should be answered in the way it was asked.

For example, in decimals if asked in decimals, or in fractions if asked in fractions. It legitimately makes no sense to me to ask in decimals but to want the answer in fractions without specifically stating it.

Well do what is asked and if there is a problem, question the instructor.

You can always protest if you feel you did what was asked..

Depends what the course is and how it is used..
Oh look, it's homoerotic Bart again.

Forum List

Back