Maturation of the Prefrontal Cortex

Michelle420

Diamond Member
Jan 6, 2013
The Bee Hive State
for cognitive analysis and abstract thought, and the moderation of “correct” behavior in social situations. The prefrontal cortex takes in information from all of the senses and orchestrates thoughts and actions to achieve specific goals.1,2

The prefrontal cortex is one of the last regions of the brain to reach maturation. This delay may help to explain why some adolescents act the way they do. The so-called “executive functions” of the human prefrontal cortex include:
Focusing attention
Organizing thoughts and problem solving
Foreseeing and weighing possible consequences of behavior
Considering the future and making predictions
Forming strategies and planning
Ability to balance short-term rewards with long term goals
Shifting/adjusting behavior when situations change
Impulse control and delaying gratification
Modulation of intense emotions
Inhibiting inappropriate behavior and initiating appropriate behavior
Simultaneously considering multiple streams of information when faced with complex and challenging information

This brain region gives an individual the capacity to exercise “good judgment” when presented with difficult life situations. Brain research indicating that brain development is not complete until near the age of 25, refers specifically to the development of the prefrontal cortex.3

My friend who doesn't drink or smoke weed said that when she turns 25 she plans to start drinking. She said mostly wine sampling, her parents are recovering boozers. But her rationale is that once her brain is fully formed she will avoid alcoholism.

I wonder if she thinks this because her brain is not fully matured or if there is truth to her point of view.

What do you think?

for cognitive analysis and abstract thought, and the moderation of “correct” behavior in social situations. The prefrontal cortex takes in information from all of the senses and orchestrates thoughts and actions to achieve specific goals.1,2

The prefrontal cortex is one of the last regions of the brain to reach maturation. This delay may help to explain why some adolescents act the way they do. The so-called “executive functions” of the human prefrontal cortex include:
Focusing attention
Simultaneously considering multiple streams of information when faced with complex and challenging information

This brain region gives an individual the capacity to exercise “good judgment” when presented with difficult life situations. Brain research indicating that brain development is not complete until near the age of 25, refers specifically to the development of the prefrontal cortex.3

My friend who doesn't drink or smoke weed said that when she turns 25 she plans to start drinking. She said mostly wine sampling, her parents are recovering boozers. But her rationale is that once her brain is fully formed she will avoid alcoholism.

I wonder if she thinks this because her brain is not fully matured or if there is truth to her point of view.

What do you think?

I don't think it's an either/or proposition.

drifter wrote: My friend who doesn't drink or smoke weed said that when she turns 25 she plans to start drinking. She said mostly wine sampling, her parents are recovering boozers. But her rationale is that once her brain is fully formed she will avoid alcoholism.

What do you think?

Tell her if she has gone w/o alcohol thus far...

... to continue her present practice...

... if both parents are recovering alcoholics...

... there is a high probability that she will become an alcoholic if she decides to take up the family habit...

... obviously she hasn't thought this one through or is sorely lacking in information.
:cuckoo:

drifter wrote: My friend who doesn't drink or smoke weed said that when she turns 25 she plans to start drinking. She said mostly wine sampling, her parents are recovering boozers. But her rationale is that once her brain is fully formed she will avoid alcoholism.

What do you think?

... there is a high probability that she will become an alcoholic if she decides to take up the family habit...

... obviously she hasn't thought this one through or is sorely lacking in information.

I agree with you, I joked that she's already rationalizing her future alcoholism :laugh:

Focusing attention

What do you think?

I think she's partially right.

If she has a serious predisposition to alcholism, she's taking that risk.

But the fact that she's starting to drink late in life is going to dramatically effect the probability that she gets into trouble with alcohol.

For most people, in order to become a drunk, one must drink a lot.

Focusing attention

What do you think?

But the fact that she's starting to drink late in life is going to dramatically effect the probability that she gets into trouble with alcohol.

It seems like she is premeditated in her thoughts about drinking. Which makes me wonder why it's on her mind when she still has 5 yrs until she is going to start. :laugh:

A careful reading of some of the posts o this site should convince anyone that having passed the age of 25, or even 50, is no guarantee of one's prefrontal cortex actually having reached maturity.

It's best not to tempt fate, IMHO. Sipping a glass or two of quality wine many nights is an entirely different matter from getting drunk. But there are those who one might as well describe as 'allergic' to the stuff, and your friend is likely to be one of those.

What do you think?

It seems like she is premeditated in her thoughts about drinking. Which makes me wonder why it's on her mind when she still has 5 yrs until she is going to start. :laugh:
Perhaps by the time she starts, she will have learned what moderation means and how to apply it to her drinking.

Perhaps by the time she starts, she will have learned what moderation means and how to apply it to her drinking.

Perhaps.

But it's just curious to be planning your drinking career 5 yrs in advance :laugh:

What do you think?

I agree with you, I joked that she's already rationalizing her future alcoholism :laugh:

A case of 'Pre-denial'?
Yeah.......I'll drink to that.

Perhaps.

But it's just curious to be planning your drinking career 5 yrs in advance :laugh:

Sounds like she's been pretty firm in not drinking and is rewarding herself when she feels she'll be mature enough to handle it.

My husband and I avoided alcohol like it was the Black Plague until recently. We both saw so much drinking and bad decisions in high school that we hated the idea of becoming that.

Perhaps.

Sounds like she's been pretty firm in not drinking and is rewarding herself when she feels she'll be mature enough to handle it.

My husband and I avoided alcohol like it was the Black Plague until recently. We both saw so much drinking and bad decisions in high school that we hated the idea of becoming that.

Possibly, but both her parents are alcoholics so it's still curious to me.

What's your favorite drink?

Forum List

Back