Maybe the First Resurrection myth? (NFTSD)

amrchaos

Pentheus torn apart
Nov 1, 2008
Miami
Hi all
This is another of my "Not for the seriously devout" threads so stop reading if you believe that agnostics and atheists are typically full of Cow manure. OK, you've sufficiently been warned.

Lately, I been wondering whether or not the resurrection of a god had importance. I began to do a little research on the matter and came across this strange bit of information.

The First resurrection myth may have been of a woman.

No I am not saying Jesus or Dionysius were a woman. In fact it appears the myth may predated the beginnings of the religions these men are figureheads for.

No, it seems that the first resurrection myth is that of Ishtar. Who is Ishtar, you ask? According to ancient Sumeria, Ishtar is the goddess of sex, fertility and mother of civilization(as well as courtesans aka prostitutes!). She is better known in the Christian world as the Whore of Babylon. You know, the lady that sometimes is depicted as riding a Bull(also called the Bull of Heaven). Symbolically seen as a symbol for the EU. ( Ishtar and the Bull represents civilization. Not the anti-christ as some christian nutjobs like to claim.)

Well, how does this resurrection myth go? Well according to Wikipedia:

"One of the most famous myths[5] about Ishtar describes her descent to the underworld. In this myth, Ishtar approaches the gates of the underworld and demands that the gatekeeper open them:

If thou openest not the gate to let me enter,
I will break the door, I will wrench the lock,
I will smash the door-posts, I will force the doors.
I will bring up the dead to eat the living.
And the dead will outnumber the living.

The gatekeeper hurried to tell Ereshkigal, the Queen of the Underworld. Ereshkigal told the gatekeeper to let Ishtar enter, but "according to the ancient decree".

The gatekeeper let Ishtar into the underworld, opening one gate at a time. At each gate, Ishtar had to shed one article of clothing. When she finally passed the seventh gate, she was naked. In rage, Ishtar threw herself at Ereshkigal, but Ereshkigal ordered her servant Namtar to imprison Ishtar and unleash sixty diseases against her.

After Ishtar descended to the underworld, all sexual activity ceased on earth. The god Papsukal reported the situation to Ea, the king of the gods. Ea created an intersex being called Asu-shu-namir and sent it to Ereshkigal, telling it to invoke "the name of the great gods" against her and to ask for the bag containing the waters of life. Ereshkigal was enraged when she heard Asu-shu-namir's demand, but she had to give it the water of life. Asu-shu-namir sprinkled Ishtar with this water, reviving her. Then, Ishtar passed back through the seven gates, getting one article of clothing back at each gate, and was fully clothed as she exited the last gate.

Here there is a break in the text of the myth, which resumes with the following lines:

If she (Ishtar) will not grant thee her release,
To Tammuz, the lover of her youth,
Pour out pure waters, pour out fine oil;
With a festival garment deck him that he may play on the flute of lapis lazuli,
That the votaries may cheer his liver. [his spirit]
Belili [sister of Tammuz] had gathered the treasure,
With precious stones filled her bosom.
When Belili heard the lament of her brother, she dropped her treasure,
She scattered the precious stones before her,
"Oh, my only brother, do not let me perish!
On the day when Tammuz plays for me on the flute of lapis lazuli, playing it for me with the porphyry ring.
Together with him, play ye for me, ye weepers and lamenting women!
That the dead may rise up and inhale the incense."

Formerly, scholars[2][6] believed that the myth of Ishtar's descent took place after the death of Ishtar's lover, Tammuz: they thought Ishtar had gone to the underworld to rescue Tammuz. However, the discovery of a corresponding myth[7] about Inanna, the Sumerian counterpart of Ishtar, has thrown some light on the myth of Ishtar's descent, including its somewhat enigmatic ending lines. According to the Inanna myth, Inanna can only return from the underworld if she sends someone back in her place. Demons go with her to make sure she sends someone back. However, each time Inanna runs into someone, she finds him to be a friend and lets him go free. When she finally reaches her home, she finds her husband Dumuzi (Babylonian Tammuz) seated on his throne, not mourning her at all. In anger, Inanna has the demons take Dumuzi back to the underworld as her replacement. Dumuzi's sister Geshtinanna is grief-stricken and volunteers to spend half the year in the underworld, during which time Dumuzi can go free. The Ishtar myth presumably had a comparable ending, Belili being the Babylonian equivalent of Geshtinanna.[8]
"

(see source and in-text references online at Ishtar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Here, the ancient dcree is that once a person arrives in the realm naked, he/she is no longer permitted to return to the realm of the living.That is, a naked person is a dead person. However, Ishtar was so important(remember, she is the goddess of sex) that the other gods demanded her revival.

In other words, Ishtar was resurrected because without her life as we know it will cease. People will suffer, kids could not be born. A Widespread incurable epidemic of the "Blue Balls" will befall man-kiind. Now that is the Apocalypse!!

Pretty cool stuff, huh? Of course there are other resurrection myths out there, but this is a bit amusing in that a woman demands to enter the afterlife and then demands to be set free. Later in the source, Ishtar is again threatening to return to the realm of the dead in order to bring back an army of the deceased to do her bidding! Have you notice some parallels here?

Apparently, there seems to be nothing new under the metaphysical sun. The "resurrection" of Ishtar is related to the Greeks Persephone. And the threat of returning to death and re-rising with an army of the dead is eerily reminiscent to the return of Jesus and the resurrection of his followers.

Now how wild is that!?

What in the cosmos do we have here?! In honor of the Goddess Ishtar, I wish to elaborate on a few things. I also mean no offense to the Topic Creator :)

TC said:
"She is better known in the Christian world as the whore of Babylon, you know the lady who is sometimes depicted as riding a bull..."

You mean the woman from Revelations? Drunken with the blood of saints, adorned in Scarlett, purple, gold and precious jewels? Who rides atop a seven headed dragon with ten horns? Tis a dragon that Revelations speaks of, not a "bull" :) Perhaps you are thinking of Gugalanna, the "Bull of Heaven"?

First... how do you get Ishtar from that passage on Revelations? There are certainly some similarities. Ishtar and the whore of Babylon can be described as "Mother of Harlots." But the woman in that passage has far more in common with the Vatican, the Holy See, the Catholic Church. And Ishtar, though a Goddess of War and Sex, has just as many similarities with the Virgin Mary! Both are referred to as the "Queen of Heaven". So... Whore of Babylon? Or blessed Virgin Mary?

Neither.

That's like assuming that because Zeus, Marduk, and Archangel Michael all have similarities that they must be the same being.

Probably not. But who knows. Alot is possible. After all, I equate Ereshkigal with Lilith for similar reasons, in my own system of beliefs.

Now...

The reason Ishtar descends into the Underworld is never stated in the "Descent of Ishtar" but if you read the "Epic of Gilgamesh", there is a creature called "The Bull of Heaven" aka Gugalanna (perhaps this is the bull you speak of) who has been described as the first husband/ lover of Ereshkigal- the Queen of Irkalla (The Underworld). The Bull of Heaven met his death at the hands of Gilgamesh, and Ishtar was responsible for it. It is very likely that this was the reason for her descent into Irkalla/ the Underworld, to pay her respects to her sister Ereshkigal, the female ruler of the Underworld. Its also possible that Ishtar wanted to learn about the Underworld and enlighten herself to it, and experience it first hand. Perhaps she even knew she would be killed and resurrected, and wanted to allow her sister an opportunity for justice and revenge!

TC also said:
"Here, the ancient dcree is that once a person arrives in the realm naked, he/she is no longer permitted to return to the realm of the living.That is, a naked person is a dead person."

It had nothing to do with her being naked. The underworld was called "The Land of No Return" for a damn good reason. Ishtar removes her garments as a part of a sacred ritual. It's not described why Ereshkigal commanded her forces to attack Ishtar after the Goddess passed through the seven gates and reached her. Its obvious in the story that the Queen of Hell was intimidated and afraid of Ishtar. She may have felt her position as Queen was threatened. Perhaps she was angry that Ishtar was responsible for the death of the "Bull of Heaven". It's likely that both were among her reasons, but she doesn't state them.

Also... Persephone, though obviously different than Ishtar, does share some similarities with Ereshkigal. Persephone was abducted and taken to the Underworld by Hades, and became Queen of the Underworld. Ereshkigal was abducted by the first ever dragon called Kur and taken to the Underworld, where she became Queen.

Aside from those minor accuracies I commend the Topic Creator for mentioning this awesome Goddess. What courage must you have to demand entrance to the Land of No Return, while alive, and a Goddess? A suicide mission for unspoken reasons, to confront the Queen of the Underworld, and die, and rise again, and emerge from HELL ITSELF? What Gods have done that?? What a badass Goddess. The Descent of Ishtar is an incredible resurrection story, and you should read the "Enuma Elish" aka the "Epic of Creation", the "Epic of Gilgamesh", and "Nergal and Ereshkigal", but its even better when you read the actual myths, not the summary that Wikipedia gives you, which is indeed prone to error.

But- if you wish to equate Ishtar with the Whore of Babylon, why not? Because I said it was incorrect? Because academic sources prove otherwise? To Hell with that. Believe what you will to believe. Your mind can be a product of your own creation, as can the ways you choose to perceive the universe- and perhaps even how we come to interact with, understand, interpret, and experience the Gods.

Who worships Ishtar today? Oh that's right. No one.

Who worships Jesus today? Millions and billions.

Hebrews 13:8 Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Of course good resurrection stories can be mind blowing... a lot of good fiction and fantasy can blow the mind... that's why it's good.

What would make the stories more real for you? Remember the fable of the tower of Babel? If they dug it up and you touched it, would it lend any credence to what the Bible tells us about the tower?

I believe in the Descent of Ishtar :)

You don’t understand.

The resurrection myth predates Christianity, and it was subsequently appropriated by early Christians because of its popularity. Indeed, the success of Christianity is due in part to its appropriation and incorporation of the resurrection myth into its fundamental dogma.

The resurrection myth, Jesus, god, and religion overall are in fact creations of man; ancient stories, myths, and legends told and retold over the countless millennia, formed in the crucible of man’s fear of death and ignorance, where Christianity is but the most recent manifestation of those ancient stories, myths, and legends.

What in the cosmos do we have here?! In honor of the Goddess Ishtar, I wish to elaborate on a few things. I also mean no offense to the Topic Creator :)

TC said:
"She is better known in the Christian world as the whore of Babylon, you know the lady who is sometimes depicted as riding a bull..."

You mean the woman from Revelations? Drunken with the blood of saints, adorned in Scarlett, purple, gold and precious jewels? Who rides atop a seven headed dragon with ten horns? Tis a dragon that Revelations speaks of, not a "bull" :) Perhaps you are thinking of Gugalanna, the "Bull of Heaven"?

First... how do you get Ishtar from that passage on Revelations? There are certainly some similarities. Ishtar and the whore of Babylon can be described as "Mother of Harlots." But the woman in that passage has far more in common with the Vatican, the Holy See, the Catholic Church. And Ishtar, though a Goddess of War and Sex, has just as many similarities with the Virgin Mary! Both are referred to as the "Queen of Heaven". So... Whore of Babylon? Or blessed Virgin Mary?

Neither.

That's like assuming that because Zeus, Marduk, and Archangel Michael all have similarities that they must be the same being.

Probably not. But who knows. Alot is possible. After all, I equate Ereshkigal with Lilith for similar reasons, in my own system of beliefs.

Now...

The reason Ishtar descends into the Underworld is never stated in the "Descent of Ishtar" but if you read the "Epic of Gilgamesh", there is a creature called "The Bull of Heaven" aka Gugalanna (perhaps this is the bull you speak of) who has been described as the first husband/ lover of Ereshkigal- the Queen of Irkalla (The Underworld). The Bull of Heaven met his death at the hands of Gilgamesh, and Ishtar was responsible for it. It is very likely that this was the reason for her descent into Irkalla/ the Underworld, to pay her respects to her sister Ereshkigal, the female ruler of the Underworld. Its also possible that Ishtar wanted to learn about the Underworld and enlighten herself to it, and experience it first hand. Perhaps she even knew she would be killed and resurrected, and wanted to allow her sister an opportunity for justice and revenge!

TC also said:
"Here, the ancient dcree is that once a person arrives in the realm naked, he/she is no longer permitted to return to the realm of the living.That is, a naked person is a dead person."

It had nothing to do with her being naked. The underworld was called "The Land of No Return" for a damn good reason. Ishtar removes her garments as a part of a sacred ritual. It's not described why Ereshkigal commanded her forces to attack Ishtar after the Goddess passed through the seven gates and reached her. Its obvious in the story that the Queen of Hell was intimidated and afraid of Ishtar. She may have felt her position as Queen was threatened. Perhaps she was angry that Ishtar was responsible for the death of the "Bull of Heaven". It's likely that both were among her reasons, but she doesn't state them.

Also... Persephone, though obviously different than Ishtar, does share some similarities with Ereshkigal. Persephone was abducted and taken to the Underworld by Hades, and became Queen of the Underworld. Ereshkigal was abducted by the first ever dragon called Kur and taken to the Underworld, where she became Queen.

Aside from those minor accuracies I commend the Topic Creator for mentioning this awesome Goddess. What courage must you have to demand entrance to the Land of No Return, while alive, and a Goddess? A suicide mission for unspoken reasons, to confront the Queen of the Underworld, and die, and rise again, and emerge from HELL ITSELF? What Gods have done that?? What a badass Goddess. The Descent of Ishtar is an incredible resurrection story, and you should read the "Enuma Elish" aka the "Epic of Creation", the "Epic of Gilgamesh", and "Nergal and Ereshkigal", but its even better when you read the actual myths, not the summary that Wikipedia gives you, which is indeed prone to error.

But- if you wish to equate Ishtar with the Whore of Babylon, why not? Because I said it was incorrect? Because academic sources prove otherwise? To Hell with that. Believe what you will to believe. Your mind can be a product of your own creation, as can the ways you choose to perceive the universe- and perhaps even how we come to interact with, understand, interpret, and experience the Gods.

You make a fine point. I must admit that I was heavily influenced by the Wiki reference and should make much more effort in researching in order to gain a deeper understanding of the topic at hand.

For instance, I got the erroneous impression that Gilgamesh and Enkidu killed the Bull of Heaven sometime after Ishtar descended to the realm of the dead. I developed that impression from how the wiki reference was written. The reference is the same as above. In it gave a recount(erroneous according to your post) of the following:

"The Epic of Gilgamesh contains an episode[9] involving Ishtar which portrays her as bad-tempered, petulant and spoiled by her father.

She asks the hero Gilgamesh to marry her, but he refuses, citing the fate that has befallen all her many lovers:

Listen to me while I tell the tale of your lovers. There was Tammuz, the lover of your youth, for him you decreed wailing, year after year. You loved the many-coloured Lilac-breasted Roller, but still you struck and broke his wing [...] You have loved the lion tremendous in strength: seven pits you dug for him, and seven. You have loved the stallion magnificent in battle, and for him you decreed the whip and spur and a thong [...] You have loved the shepherd of the flock; he made meal-cake for you day after day, he killed kids for your sake. You struck and turned him into a wolf; now his own herd-boys chase him away, his own hounds worry his flanks."[10]

Angered by Gilgamesh's refusal, Ishtar goes up to heaven and complains to her father the high god Anu that Gilgamesh has insulted her. She demands that Anu give her the Bull of Heaven. Anu points out that it was her fault for provoking Gilgamesh, but she warns that if he refuses, she will do exactly what she told the gatekeeper of the underworld she would do if he didn't let her in:
"

again, the above reference is from Wiki. I know, you already pointed out that the wiki entry is not accurate and much more. And recounting of the story is wrong from assuming one event occurred before another.

So I thank you on pointing out my errors, as well as other errors that I failed to mention here. Also, I must thank you for giving us references to other material that actually further one of the points I was trying to make.

That is, religious concepts, such as resurrection and so forth, may not be be new themes but maybe old themes borrowed and rewritten for new religions.

An old topic for this thread, I'm sure. But old topics have a tendency to recur on a public forum.

Again, I thank you. Your input has deepened the intellectual value of this thread.

You do know that the vitality of a belief system is dependent on whether or not there are believers in that system.

But the importance of said system has more to do than "who believes it" or "how many". The importance of a belief system can be indirect as in how it may influence a new religion.

That is a new religion may carry over ideas from an old. Or, to put it in a different way, the old is foundation for the new. Therefore,the old is still relevant, despite changes to its ideas and lack of upholders to its faith system

The resurrection myth predates Christianity, and it was subsequently appropriated by early Christians because of its popularity. Indeed, the success of Christianity is due in part to its appropriation and incorporation of the resurrection myth into its fundamental dogma.

The resurrection myth, Jesus, god, and religion overall are in fact creations of man; ancient stories, myths, and legends told and retold over the countless millennia, formed in the crucible of man’s fear of death and ignorance, where Christianity is but the most recent manifestation of those ancient stories, myths, and legends.

there are many claims of resurrection myths copied by Christianity......in my experience most of the claims have been manufactured.......

this one for instance......Ishtar didn't die in the story, she stormed into hell to rescue her lover, who HAD died.....I don't see in the story that she brought him back when she returned from her imprisonment.....

perhaps you should have tried a resurrection parallel with the lover, Tammuz.......of course, that's a simple fertility deity, who "dies" each fall and "resurrects" each spring......not much in common with the Christian resurrection there, so I can see why you might avoid it.....

Last edited:

there are many claims of resurrection myths copied by Christianity......in my experience most of the claims have been manufactured.......

this one for instance......Ishtar didn't die in the story, she stormed into hell to rescue her lover, who HAD died.....I don't see in the story that she brought him back when she returned from her imprisonment.....

perhaps you should have tried a resurrection parallel with the lover, Tammuz.......of course, that's a simple fertility deity, who "dies" each fall and "resurrects" each spring......not much in common with the Christian resurrection there, so I can see why you might avoid it.....

Again, my mistakes and ignorance is again exposed. The idea that she stormed into for a lover was introduced by another poster. However, she did venture into into the realm of the dead, and therefore could be considered 'dead' while there.

I may not have made the exact reference to Tammuz,but I did suggest a connection to the Greek's Persephone, so the underlining theme was not avoided.

I immediately knew that this was a bit of nonsense for the simple reason that Easter is an English word. The Greeks and Romans called it Pascha, which is why Easter is Pasqua in Italian, Pascua in Spanish, and Paques in French. How exactly did the name of a Canaanite fertility goddess skip all the way to England from the Middle East without stopping in Rome or Byzantium?

The general rule of infographics and similar fare is that the more deliciously it skewers people you don't respect very much, the more likely it is to be a fake. Always good to consider before you click that "share" button.

Happy Easter, Which is Not Named After Ishtar, Okay? - The Daily Beast

Forum List

Back