Maybe the First Resurrection myth? (NFTSD)

There are many claims of resurrection myths copied by Christianity......in my experience most of the claims have been manufactured.......

this one for instance......Ishtar didn't die in the story, she stormed into hell to rescue her lover, who HAD died.....I don't see in the story that she brought him back when she returned from her imprisonment.....

I never said that the story of Christ's Crucifixion was "copied" from The Descent of Ishtar or Inanna's Descent. Resurrecting from the dead is really the only thing it has in common, unless you believe in the "Harrowing of Christ", which, as outrageously badass as it is, still isn't enough to really argue that it was "copied". Inspired? Maybe... but the thought of overcoming death has excited humans for a very long time. Resurrection stories don't all have to be connected.

Here is an example:

"For Goku so loved us all, that he died for us, so that we would not perish, but would instead have life. He sacrificed himself so that we could all be saved. But Goku was resurrected, and rose again! He could be seen coming in the clouds! And he encouraged us to treat each other right, and to love one another, and to not be selfish, and stand up for what is good."

:)

Except Jesus didn't kill anybody or physically fight anyone or shoot Kamehamehas or Spirit Bombs. So Goku isn't really that much like Jesus, but by leaving certain information out, people can twist his description a certain way to almost make them seem identical.

Back to Ishtar. Ishtar is to Inanna as God is to Allah. They are one and the same. And it is clearly specified in "Inanna's Descent" that she was killed while in the Underworld. It's quite graphic too.

But lets keep talking. I have no qualms with learning from each other, despite whatever we disagree on. Perhaps we can grow from it. I had to go back and check an Oxford translation and indeed, in "The Descent of Ishtar", it is only implied that she was killed, but it can also be interpreted that she was imprisoned instead. It is only when you compare "The Descent of Ishtar" to "Inanna's Descent" that it becomes clear that she was indeed killed when venturing into the Underworld.

I am curious however... what made you think that she entered the Underworld to rescue a lover?

I never said that the story of Christ's Crucifixion was "copied" from The Descent of Ishtar or Inanna's Descent.
true....it was the person I was responding to who said it....

I am curious however... what made you think that she entered the Underworld to rescue a lover?

????.....the OP mentioned it......

Last edited:
I immediately knew that this was a bit of nonsense for the simple reason that Easter is an English word. The Greeks and Romans called it Pascha, which is why Easter is Pasqua in Italian, Pascua in Spanish, and Paques in French. How exactly did the name of a Canaanite fertility goddess skip all the way to England from the Middle East without stopping in Rome or Byzantium?

The lady you quote contradichts herself and doesn't even notice it. Well, she possibly wants to appear as an especialy intellectual atheist, who knows?

She is right when she mentiones that this customs are a mixture of all kinds of ancient cults and religions. But why exclude Ishtar? She is right when she connects Easter (german: Ostern) with the german godess Ostera (who was actually a fertility godess like Ishtar). But who the hell is she to refute connections and cultural transfers between northern tribes and Persia? Doesn't she know that this people knew from each other? The Mediterranean is not the Atlantic.

Just one example: they found recently a skeleton nearby Stonehenge, the man was obviously killed by arrows about 3000 yers B.C.. Today they can determine the geographical origin of a skeleton by the enrchment of certain elements and Isotopes in its teeth.
And this guy rose up in Spain, Italy or southern France.
You can find this easily if you google stonehenge, skeleton,

So you had of course a cultural exchange between populations by certain travellers or travelling merchants in flintstones or whatever stuff they dealt with.
Plus the name similarity between Ishtar and Ostera for the same type of godess is most probably no accident.

Who worships Ishtar today? Oh that's right. No one.

Who worships Jesus today? Millions and billions.

Hebrews 13:8 Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

You don’t understand.

The resurrection myth predates Christianity, and it was subsequently appropriated by early Christians because of its popularity. Indeed, the success of Christianity is due in part to its appropriation and incorporation of the resurrection myth into its fundamental dogma.

The resurrection myth, Jesus, god, and religion overall are in fact creations of man; ancient stories, myths, and legends told and retold over the countless millennia, formed in the crucible of man’s fear of death and ignorance, where Christianity is but the most recent manifestation of those ancient stories, myths, and legends.

I'm pretty sure Chuck hit the nail on the head. One who claimed He would come back, did. He's the one that kept our attention. :eusa_angel:

Forum List

Back