McConnell Offers 3-Stage ’Last Choice’ Debt Option

McConnell Offers 3-Stage

Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell proposed a “last choice option” to avoid a default on U.S. debt obligations that effectively would grant President Barack Obama power to unilaterally raise the debt limit in installments.

McConnell’s plan would let the president raise the limit in three stages unless Congress disapproves by a two-thirds majority, while Obama would also be required to propose offsetting spending cuts. The spending reductions would be advisory, and the debt-ceiling increase would occur regardless of whether lawmakers enact the cuts, McConnell said.

Don Stewart, a spokesman for McConnell, said the plan would allow Obama to raise the debt limit while putting the onus on him and congressional Democrats to cut spending.

At the same time, Republicans wouldn’t have to agree to tax increases. The proposal would force Democrats to cast multiple votes to raise the debt ceiling before the next election, while giving Republicans the chance to vote against it without risking a default.

I would hope everyone can see through McConnell's plan and see his true intentions are just to play politics in order to make sure his plan of Obama being a one term President comes true. Despicable and irresponsible.

So he is playing politics like Obama did this morning when he said seniors may not get their checks?

I dont see the thread you made about that partisan play anywhere on the forum what gives? Maybe it is you that is playing partisan politics?

Would YOU have started a thread on this? I'm kinda guessing you wouldn't.

I dont see the thread you made about that partisan play anywhere on the forum what gives? Maybe it is you that is playing partisan politics?

Already a thread about that. No point in making another one as I'll just have to merge it with the one that exists.

However, you don't see me going to your thread and trying to derail it by throwing in what the GOP is doing. Either comment on what the GOP is doing or take your partisan hackery elsewhere.

They'd be heroes if they ran away to Canada to AVOID the vote. Right?

Nope. Though they are effectively doing their best to avoid voting anyway with this proposal.

All you're trying to do though is deflect because you do not have a good argument to refute what I said.

As long as there are still checks in the check book we can spend as much as we feel like, right? The balance does not really matter???
If we run out of checks, we can just print up more? That is what you are arguing. If a Business spent that way, or you and I, we would soon be in Federal Prison.

Why should the Government be allowed to do what is a crime for the rest of us???

You seem to demonize any attempt to correct course, which seems silly considering that the proposals at best reduce the rate of Government Growth, and do little or nothing to pay off Interest or Principle. It seems more every effort does more to compound the problem and lead us closer to destruction, almost deliberate, the way I see it. What is the offense??? Liberty, Independence, Choice, Private Property, Individual Conscience, Witness and Voice, For which of these do you want to bring us all down with you?

Obama offered 4 trillion in cuts, which is more than the GOP is offering up and he alienated his own party by offering up entitlement cuts. Maybe it was a bluff but still the GOP won't budge to call his bluff.
I can see Obama as a one-termer but I also see the GOP losing their majority in the House too. People are not going to put up with this gamesmanship come November, 2012. If the debt ceiling isn't raised and the business world experiences what they predict they will experience, the GOP could lose their biggest allies.
All of this just because of narrow-minded partisanship by both parties and party over country. Egads,, what a bunch of losers!

Not saying you're wrong, but I find it hard to imagine that the Repubs would lose their House majority in the same election Pres. Obama gets defeated.

Stranger things have happened.
In Minnesota, we have a huge debt carried over from a GOP governor and a Dem controlled House, so in the last election, the Dems lost their control of the legislature and a Dem was elected governor. Of course, a lot of good that did as Minnesota is in a shutdown mode.
Based on polls, people are really getting tired of all this BS do-nothing-in Washington BS.
Throw all the bums out!

As long as there are still checks in the check book we can spend as much as we feel like, right? The balance does not really matter???
If we run out of checks, we can just print up more? That is what you are arguing. If a Business spent that way, or you and I, we would soon be in Federal Prison.

Why should the Government be allowed to do what is a crime for the rest of us???

You seem to demonize any attempt to correct course, which seems silly considering that the proposals at best reduce the rate of Government Growth, and do little or nothing to pay off Interest or Principle. It seems more every effort does more to compound the problem and lead us closer to destruction, almost deliberate, the way I see it. What is the offense??? Liberty, Independence, Choice, Private Property, Individual Conscience, Witness and Voice, For which of these do you want to bring us all down with you?

Oh hooray! You set up and knocked down your own strawman!

Reality check: I never said we shouldn't have spending cuts.

Now, do you actually intend on commenting on what the GOP is doing? Or are you just going to keep trying to attack me?

Already a thread about that. No point in making another one as I'll just have to merge it with the one that exists.

However, you don't see me going to your thread and trying to derail it by throwing in what the GOP is doing. Either comment on what the GOP is doing or take your partisan hackery elsewhere.

The gop is doing their job.

So I guess ill go look in that other thread to see your cries about Obama playing politics with seniors. I look forward to seeing you play both sides fairly since your not a partisan hack like me.

So I guess ill go look in that other thread to see your cries about Obama playing politics with seniors. I look forward to seeing you play both sides fairly since your not a partisan hack like me.

Did you bother to read the story? The GOP is playing politics. They're not doing their job, that's the problem.

But no, you'll just keep attacking Obama thinking that it's all his fault alone.

According to the bolded, above, the debt-ceiling increase would occur regardless of whether spending cuts were actually enacted.

Why does Obama and the Dems have such an aversion to cutting spending?

Maybe because it puts the sacrifice on those who can afford it the least?

There's an answer for ya. Now maybe you or some other con on here can explain why there's such an aversion by the "loyal opposition" to raise a few bucks.

Erik, I'm not exactly a "con".:eusa_hand: (See avatar)

Did you bother to read the story? The GOP is playing politics. They're not doing their job, that's the problem.

But no, you'll just keep attacking Obama thinking that it's all his fault alone.

I got screwed today and it was 100% Obamas fault. Excuse me while I vent

You are correct though I have been so pissed for the last couple hours that I didnt read your link. Im heading out to dinner now, Ill read it when I get back

As kiwiman127 noted, the President put up @ $4 trillion in cuts from his side on the table. What did the Repubs put up? Nothing.

McConnell is willing to abdicate his Constitutional responsiblity? Is that even legal?

In theory everything Congress does is Constitutional, until such time as a Federal court says otherwise.

At the same time, Republicans wouldn’t have to agree to tax increases. The proposal would force Democrats to cast multiple votes to raise the debt ceiling before the next election, while giving Republicans the chance to vote against it without risking a default.

Constitutional or not, the GOP is playing a shameful shell game in the hope they can fool the American people.

It won’t work.

Maybe because it puts the sacrifice on those who can afford it the least?
Correct.

Obama offered 4 trillion in cuts, which is more than the GOP is offering up and he alienated his own party by offering up entitlement cuts. Maybe it was a bluff but still the GOP won't budge to call his bluff.
I can see Obama as a one-termer but I also see the GOP losing their majority in the House too. People are not going to put up with this gamesmanship come November, 2012. If the debt ceiling isn't raised and the business world experiences what they predict they will experience, the GOP could lose their biggest allies.
All of this just because of narrow-minded partisanship by both parties and party over country. Egads,, what a bunch of losers!

Not saying you're wrong, but I find it hard to imagine that the Repubs would lose their House majority in the same election Pres. Obama gets defeated.

Stranger things have happened.
In Minnesota, we have a huge debt carried over from a GOP governor and a Dem controlled House, so in the last election, the Dems lost their control of the legislature and a Dem was elected governor. Of course, a lot of good that did as Minnesota is in a shutdown mode.
Based on polls, people are really getting tired of all this BS do-nothing-in Washington BS.
Throw all the bums out!

Well, things will continue to not get done if things go the way in Washington they went in Minn.

McConnell Offers 3-Stage

Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell proposed a “last choice option” to avoid a default on U.S. debt obligations that effectively would grant President Barack Obama power to unilaterally raise the debt limit in installments.

McConnell’s plan would let the president raise the limit in three stages unless Congress disapproves by a two-thirds majority, while Obama would also be required to propose offsetting spending cuts. The spending reductions would be advisory, and the debt-ceiling increase would occur regardless of whether lawmakers enact the cuts, McConnell said.

Don Stewart, a spokesman for McConnell, said the plan would allow Obama to raise the debt limit while putting the onus on him and congressional Democrats to cut spending.

I would hope everyone can see through McConnell's plan and see his true intentions are just to play politics in order to make sure his plan of Obama being a one term President comes true. Despicable and irresponsible.

I just thought this was plain shocking.

I really can't believe it.

McConnell Offers 3-Stage

Oh, get off it. You damn well believe it. ;)

McConnell Offers 3-Stage

Obama today,

Obama: "Well, this is not just a matter of Social Security checks. These are veterans checks, these are folks on disability and their checks. There are about 70 million checks that go out"

Pelley: "Can you guarantee as President that those checks will go out on August 3rd"?

"Obama: I cannot guarantee that those checks go out on August 3rd if we haven’t resolved this issue. Because there may simply not be the money in the coffers to do it".

Read more Close Read: “I Cannot Guarantee That Those Checks Go Out“ : The New Yorker

".....naaah, no politics here...

:eusa_think:frankly, I think they may be finally getting down to bus......

Last edited:
McConnell Offers 3-Stage

Oh, get off it. You damn well believe it. ;)

No I really don't.

I've never seen anything like this.

McConnell Offers 3-Stage

I see, actually giving Obama the power that some Democrats actually claim he has is despicable and irresponsible, mostly because it would absolutely prevent a default on the debt.

:cuckoo:

So, after the Democrats have been childish, petulant and petty and evading their responsibilities long enough, McConnel thinks it's his turn to join in and play the same game.

Millions of people are going to suffer because the politicians in Washington have decided to play Thelma and Louise with our lives.

thelma.jpg

And they wonder why we think they are all pathetic useless jerks

Forum List

Back