Media Argonauts: DNA(?)

Abishai100

VIP Member
Sep 22, 2013
This is a media-culture presentation (my last one) inspired by the film Pret-a-Porter.

Cheers,

eagle.jpg

====

American pop-musician Paula Abdul's work on the provocative fitness-themed music-video Cold-Hearted Snake effectively raised her as a modernism media 'figure/diplomat' of unfiltered social expression. The American actor George Finn portrayed the gritty and bullyish ice-hockey player Racki (in the iconic 1980s ice-hockey film Youngblood starring Patrick Swayze, Rob Lowe, and Keanu Reeves) who symbolizes relentless competitiveness. Abdul and the chracacter Racki are 'society deities.' We use these 'images' to understand/appreciate modern social customs and norms!

xb27.jpg

Any consideration of social 'totems' may include an evaluation of polarity or opposites. The opposite of Abdul from Cold-Hearted Snake is arguably the Christian harlot of Babylon (a mysterious seductress who sits atop a gargantuan 'beast' and has the power to topple men from thrones with hypnosis). The opposite of the character Racki is arguably Leatherface (the fictional chainsaw-wielding cannibal from the iconic Texas Chainsaw Massacre horror-film franchise). Abdul is the opposite of the harlot of Babylon, since the latter is more 'revolutionary.' Racki is the opposite of Leatherface, since the latter is more 'filthy.' These comparisons help us create 'etiquette mosaics' (for psychological movies representative of modern culture)!

xb29.jpg

So how do we reach a comfortable balance between the extremes of Abdul and the harlot of Babylon and Racki and Leatherface? We could try to pair a duo of society-customs diplomats such as Michael Stich and Steffi Graf, German tennis stars who won the Wimbledon championships in 1991, pronouncing the domination of Germany in the sport during the 1980s-1990s. Stich is an athletics-media diplomat, while Graf is a gender-sports-media diplomat, and their contribution to the history of Germans in international competition makes them ideal 'characters.' The purpose here is to better create pluralism-relevant customs/norms advertisements (for TrumpUSA, Facebook, society magazines, etc.).

becker2.jpg

As capitalism makes globalization a modern political reality, we need to think about the symbolism behind radical images in the media (of terrorists with fanatical masks and guns!) and how these images inform our analysis of pluralism-relevant customs/norms intellectualism. Such 'curiosity' is even represented in celebrated movies such as Traffic, The Tailor of Panama, L.A. Confidential, and Justice League.

a2.jpg

GOD: I worry about the impact of movies such as Celebrity and Fight Club.
SATAN: Yes, those movies present graphic images of excessive behaviors.
GOD: Behaviors relevant to modernism fears (e.g., racism, idol-worship).
SATAN: Consumerism/commerce makes for 'strange-bedfellows.'
GOD: I rather like the modernism-symbolic American movie The Matrix.
SATAN: Yes, the protagonist in that movie (the Messianic Neo) symbolizes hope.
GOD: Hope in an era of dizzying and claustrophobia-inducing transit (e.g., Amazon.com).
SATAN: I like the modernism-paranoia movie Ghost in the Machine.
GOD: That movie speaks to a fear of traffic-related machinery breakdown.
SATAN: Maybe 9/11 was a 'ghost in the machine.'
GOD: Maybe the Los Angeles Race Riots of 1992 was a 'ghost in the machine.'
SATAN: I think new age magazines such as Bazaar offer glimpses of 'sane etiquette.'
GOD: It's difficult to weed out all the junk-food...I like the peer-edited quality of Wikipedia.
SATAN: Wikipedia is a finely-tuned info-access online encyclopedia in a messy Internet.
GOD: Is Planet Hollywood culture a sign of schizophrenia?
SATAN: Isn't that what the movie The Omen suggests?

====

:dance:

Forum List

Back