Media omits fact in Colorado truck collision...

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
... to fan the flames of controversy and consequently sell adspace (IMO).

Why is it so difficult to discover that Rogel Aguilera Mederos knew he had brake problems while stopped at the brake inspection area at Berthoud Pass?

Why is it so difficult to discover that Rogel Aguilera Mederos called both his boss and another driver, Rafael Perez Radrages, to discuss the heated brakes WHILE the truck was parked at the brake inspection area at Berthoud Pass?

Why is so difficult to ascertain that Rafael Perez Radrages testified to this under oath and had no reason to lie?

Why? Because controversy sell papers, garners clicks and keeps eyes on screens.

The Legacy Media has a vested interest in misleading the public...and if you don't believe me...search for the information above for yourselves....

Here's the link for after your attempts...

I live out there for a few years......You can burn the brakes up in your car, let alone a truck. Not a place for amateur truck drivers..........They gotta go to lowest gears and try to never use the breaks at all..........Even if it slows everything down....

I don't think he did anything on purpose............I think he got in over his head and his abilities.

Why is it so difficult to discover that Rogel Aguilera Mederos knew he had brake problems while stopped at the brake inspection area at Berthoud Pass?

Why is it so difficult to discover that Rogel Aguilera Mederos called both his boss and another driver, Rafael Perez Radrages, to discuss the heated brakes WHILE the truck was parked at the brake inspection area at Berthoud Pass?

Why is so difficult to ascertain that Rafael Perez Radrages testified to this under oath and had no reason to lie?

The Legacy Media has a vested interest in misleading the public...and if you don't believe me...search for the information above for yourselves....

What media are you reading? I see it being mentioned (albeit briefly) in the NY times:
Prosecutors argued that he was responsible for the deaths because of the decisions he made while driving, including not steering the truck onto a runaway truck ramp along the highway.

But, not sure what your point is. Who cares what the media prints or does not print? This guy was sentenced to a 110 years in prison. That not good enough for you?

Heck, the sentence was so severe that even the prosecutors are appealing for a shorter sentence. Not, mind you, letting him go scot free but to reduce the sentence. This guy will probably spend at least the next 20-30 years in prison. Maybe more. So, really, at this point, media reporting is a moot point.

What media are you reading? I see it being mentioned (albeit briefly) in the NY times:
Prosecutors argued that he was responsible for the deaths because of the decisions he made while driving, including not steering the truck onto a runaway truck ramp along the highway.

But, not sure what your point is. Who cares what the media prints or does not print? This guy was sentenced to a 110 years in prison. That not good enough for you?

Heck, the sentence was so severe that even the prosecutors are appealing for a shorter sentence. Not, mind you, letting him go scot free but to reduce the sentence. This guy will probably spend at least the next 20-30 years in prison. Maybe more. So, really, at this point, media reporting is a moot point.
Don't see anything discussed in the OP.

That Rogel Aguilera Mederos called both his boss and another driver, Rafael Perez Radrages, to discuss the heated brakes WHILE the truck was parked at the brake inspection area at Berthoud Pass.

I'd say that is pretty important information... Don't you?

Don't see anything discussed in the OP.

That Rogel Aguilera Mederos called both his boss and another driver, Rafael Perez Radrages, to discuss the heated brakes WHILE the truck was parked at the brake inspection area at Berthoud Pass.

I'd say that is pretty important information... Don't you?
Again, what is your point? Do you think he got railroaded or do you think he deserves more?

Because, obviously, this was brought up by the prosecution during the trial - hence, the long sentence. As for media reporting, your link has nothing about "heated brakes". Only about him calling his boss. Which is what other media are also reporting.

So, again, what is your point?

I live out there for a few years......You can burn the brakes up in your car, let alone a truck. Not a place for amateur truck drivers..........They gotta go to lowest gears and try to never use the breaks at all..........Even if it slows everything down....

I don't think he did anything on purpose............I think he got in over his head and his abilities.

That or the truck wasnt maintained properly.
But you should use the gears to stay at a safe speed,once you get passed that it's too late.

Again, what is your point? Do you think he got railroaded or do you think he deserves more?

Because, obviously, this was brought up by the prosecution during the trial - hence, the long sentence. As for media reporting, your link has nothing about "heated brakes". Only about him calling his boss. Which is what other media are also reporting.

So, again, what is your point?

Are you feigning ignorance or are you actually this obtuse?

Do you think these facts might be important for the public to be made aware of to inform their opinions of the verdict?

If not...you sir are a part of the problem.

Like I said... these facts are extremely difficult to find...

“He called me to tell me he was having problems with his brakes,” said Rafael Perez Radrages.

Radrages is also a truck driver and worked for the same Texas company as Mederos.

Radrages had previously driven and inspected the same rig that crashed.

Mederos has claimed the rig’s brakes were not working. But Radrages says there were no previous problems with the truck.

This article misframes the phone calls as occurring while the vehicle was in motion...but the facts drawn out in testimony proved that this conversation occurred while the vehicle was parked at the brake check area.

Extremely important facts needed to construct an informed decision about the verdict and the sentence.

The guy doesent speak English

we should deport aliens who are here illegally

It wouldn't surprise me in the least to see him being granted clemency. It was a horrible, tragic accident, but it was an accident.

Because of the minimum sentencing guidelines, he can't be sentenced to 20-30 years in prison. It's all or nothing, OTR truckers are now vowing to stay out of Colorado because of this. Governor Polis will be forced to consider the level of negative impact that could have on his state, and he'll be forced to act accordingly and in the best interests of the residents of Colorado...

Last edited:

The lying media lies 99% of the time. The truth sells, but who's buying?

I don't doubt that he could have been in over his head.

But...if he had the vehicle parked and knew he had a brake problem...and also likely knew he was in over his head...but still continued...the verdict and a stiff sentence are 100% warranted IMO.

The facts are not as the media has portrayed them.

So from the witness in the first link he tried to run away after the wreck. Didn't honk his horn, no flashers........and said he hit the cars because it was his best chance of survival...............

He could have run off the road and not collided with the traffic instead and maybe not kill others........In court he stated he would have rather died instead..........From what I just watched he had that choice that day. I'd go off the road and run into the bridge before hitting parked cars full of people.......

That doesn't set well with me.

I don't doubt that he could have been in over his head.

But...if he had the vehicle parked and knew he had a brake problem...and also likely knew he was in over his head...but still continued...the verdict and a stiff sentence are 100% warranted IMO.

The facts are not as the media has portrayed them.
Witness statements put a new light on this for me. He had options instead of plowing over cars.

Colorado Department of Transportation:

In response to the brewing boycott, which has taken on the hashtag #NoTrucksToColorado, the Colorado Motor Carriers issued the following statement on Twitter: “Feel for driver. #NoTrucksToColorado has some info that is not accurate. Not mech. failure – brakes gave way due to inexper. driver traveling in mtns above posted speeds/ not gearing down — overheated brakes gave way. He knew of hot brakes yet bypassed runaway truck ramp.”

It wouldn't surprise me in the least to see him being granted clemency. It was a horrible, tragic accident, but it was an accident.

Because of the minimum sentencing guidelines, he can't be sentenced to 20-30 years in prison. It's all or nothing, OTR truckers are now vowing to stay out of Colorado because of this. Governor Polis will be forced to consider the level of negative impact that could have on his state, and he'll be forced to act accordingly and in the best interests of the residents of Colorado...

No significant number of truck drivers are boycotting Colorado due to this verdict.

More media manipulation.

No significant number of truck drivers are boycotting Colorado due to this verdict.

More media manipulation.

It looks like it's gaining momentum.

I know four OTR drivers. None of them plan on going to Colorado anytime soon. I've read of other owners paying their drivers extra to cover fuel costs to drive around Colorado.

It's a thing, whether you believe it or not...

It looks like it's gaining momentum.

I know four OTR drivers. None of them plan on going to Colorado anytime soon. I've read of other owners paying their drivers extra to cover fuel costs to drive around Colorado.

It's a thing, whether you believe it or not...
Not a thing. Propaganda.

Owners don't pay their drivers for increased fuel costs. Only owners get paid for fuel costs...and shippers and receivers pay on Household Mover Guide miles and not a penny more.

No owner is paying a driver out of route miles...and no driver is driving out of route miles...because that time counts against his 70 and costs actual dollars out of his/her paycheck.

You are being misled by well intentioned folks who are misinformed and passing more misinformation on to you.

The number of drivers who are actually boycotting Colorado wouldn't fill a high school classroom. The folks that are informing you are all talk, no action.

wouldn't surprise me in the least to see him being granted clemency. It was a horrible, tragic accident, but it was an accident.
No, it wasn’t “an accident”, it was negligence. Most accidents are just some form of negligence. Very rarely does something happen on the road that is totally out of the hands of drivers, like a natural disaster happening.

Forum List

Back