CDZ Men vs. Women Voters: Why the Difference?

jwoodie

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2012
As the pollsters tell us, there is a distinct "gender gap" in voting preferences between men and women. Why is this? A few explanations which have been put forth are:

a. Objectivity vs. Emotion

b. Freedom vs. Security

c. Individual Decision Making vs. Group Consensus

d. Personal Responsibility vs. Victimhood

Which, if any, of these apply? Are there any others you would add to this list?

As the pollsters tell us, there is a distinct "gender gap" in voting preferences between men and women. Why is this? A few explanations which have been put forth are:

b. Freedom vs. Security

Punishment vs. Empathy

I feel like it's worth investigating why -- not just what -- there are differences. Women are usually the primary caretakers of children, and in a lot more cases than men they are the only caretakers. So being exposed to those experiences tends to lend value to empathy, security, education, etc.

b. Freedom vs. Security

It behooves us to be more specific than just gender.

Romney won the married women vote.

" In 2007, Coulter said that “If we took away women’s right to vote, we’d never have to worry about another Democrat [sic] president.” Coulter described this as a “pipe dream” and a “personal fantasy” of hers that women, especially the single women who “are voting so stupidly,” will finally be silenced."
Ann Coulter: ‘Women Should Not Have The Right To Vote,’ But They ‘Can Still Write Books’ | Right Wing Watch

Her explanation is interesting...

Before the term 'Fascist' is tossed in....
...a similar view form this feminist icon:

Simone de Beauvoir: “No woman should be authorized to stay at home and raise her children. Women should not have that choice, precisely because if there is such a choice, too many women will make that one.”

Last edited:

b. Freedom vs. Security

" In 2007, Coulter said that “If we took away women’s right to vote, we’d never have to worry about another Democrat [sic] president.” Coulter described this as a “pipe dream” and a “personal fantasy” of hers that women, especially the single women who “are voting so stupidly,” will finally be silenced."
Ann Coulter: ‘Women Should Not Have The Right To Vote,’ But They ‘Can Still Write Books’ | Right Wing Watch

Simone de Beauvoir: “No woman should be authorized to stay at home and raise her children. Women should not have that choice, precisely because if there is such a choice, too many women will make that one.”

I'm pretty sure Ann Coulter is just making money by feeding on the id of certain people.

b. Freedom vs. Security

I'm pretty sure Ann Coulter is just making money by feeding on the id of certain people.

Bet dollar to a donut you've never read any of her dozen or so best sellers.

b. Freedom vs. Security

Bet dollar to a donut you've never read any of her dozen or so best sellers.

Not taking the bet, and I'm also not sure you grasped my point.

Verbal/social skills vs. Mathematical-spatial skills. Gender neutral IQ tests simply double the weighting of verbal skills.

b. Freedom vs. Security

Gender is chosen by each individual.

If the pollsters who told you so didn't disclose the reason for their particular choice or choices (and made it to be a "gap" instead of an association) then their information concerning gender as well as the procedure they took in forwarding their survey is debased as a primary factor for further discussion.

Maybe I'm being overly simplistic but women are in general just more sensitive. So they like the soothing tones of Obama and Hillary the doddering grandma over Trump's tough New Yorker demeanor.

Maybe I'm being overly simplistic but women are in general just more sensitive. So they like the soothing tones of Obama and Hillary the doddering grandma over Trump's tough New Yorker demeanor.

I call it buffoonery. There's nothing tough about that guy. At all.

I might go with Justice for adults vs. Empathy for children but I don't get the Opportunity vs. Result.

I was thinking of valuing Equality of Opportunity vs. Equality of Result.
I come down in favor of Equality of Opportunity, I think most people who are not racists would. However how do you measure Equality of Opportunity unless you use Equality of Result as a yardstick?

I come down in favor of Equality of Opportunity, I think most people who are not racists would. However how do you measure Equality of Opportunity unless you use Equality of Result as a yardstick?

Think about what you are saying: Any deviation from precise statistical representation of all population groups in all categories must be the result of inequality of opportunity. May I assume you only apply this standard to "underrepresented" minorities and women?

Think about what you are saying: Any deviation from precise statistical representation of all population groups in all categories must be the result of inequality of opportunity. May I assume you only apply this standard to "underrepresented" minorities and women?
Let me give you an example I heard just this morning:

Alabama elects its appellate judges in statewide elections. If 25% of the electorate was black and there were no other factors involved then Equality of Opportunity would likely result in Equality of Result being 25% of elected judges were black. In fact 0% of the judges are black. In one election, a black republican candidate lost when every other republican, all white, on that ballot won.​

I think this is hardly any deviation from precise statistical representation and puts the lie to Equality of Opportunity. If a government that represents all the people is the ideal then this situation requires some remediation in my opinion.

I really don't think he said that at all.

Alabama elects its appellate judges in statewide elections. If 25% of the electorate was black and there were no other factors involved then Equality of Opportunity would likely result in Equality of Result being 25% of elected judges were black.

False reasoning. But I understand your preference for a pervasive quota system. I happen to disagree.

Alabama elects its appellate judges in statewide elections. If 25% of the electorate was black and there were no other factors involved then Equality of Opportunity would likely result in Equality of Result being 25% of elected judges were black.

False reasoning. But I understand your preference for a pervasive quota system. I happen to disagree.

You keep making strawman remarks like this.

He's talking about the majority crippling the minority. This was a concern of the framers as well, and no, it's not illustrative of a quota system.

Forum List

Back