Men Who Work Full-Time Earn Less Than 40 Years Ago

Freewill

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2011
Men Who Work Full-Time Earn Less Than 40 Years Ago | CNS News

MEDIAN%20EARNINGS%20OF%20MEN%20WHO%20WORK%20FULL-TIME-PHOTO-USE.jpg

To those who think that flooding the country with illegals will strengthen America, it does not.

To those who think obamacare and its added cost then flooding the system with people who do not pay strengthens America, it does not.

How interesting that CNS has discovered what many of us have been saying for so long.

The reason is the difference. I assume you accuse corporate greed which may or may not be true. But what I see is those skilled and or educated are doing well. I today am making more per hour then I ever thought possible and I am not a coporation.

Those who failed to get educated or learn a skill are not doing well. So for the most part the drop, in my opinion, is caused by the flood of poor uneducated illegal immigrants.

How interesting that CNS has discovered what many of us have been saying for so long.

The reason is the difference. I assume you accuse corporate greed which may or may not be true. But what I see is those skilled and or educated are doing well. I today am making more per hour then I ever thought possible and I am not a coporation.

Those who failed to get educated or learn a skill are not doing well. So for the most part the drop, in my opinion, is caused by the flood of poor uneducated illegal immigrants.

While I intensly dislike the shipping of jobs overseas, people had better realize something. I am a millwright. I build, maintane, and repair machiners that do the work of 5 to 50 unskilled laborers. If you are a teenager in high school, a high school diploma is not worth what a grade school diploma was worth when I graduated from high school. Without a techinical education or an AA, you are a drag on the job market. Illegal immigrants or not, do not expect more than minimum wages if you are not computer literate, and have some training in some craft.

I salute Tennessee in that they have made Community College the new high school. By making that level of education free for all, they have recognized the realities of the new job market. The other 49 states need to follow suit.

While I intensly dislike the shipping of jobs overseas, people had better realize something. I am a millwright. I build, maintane, and repair machiners that do the work of 5 to 50 unskilled laborers. If you are a teenager in high school, a high school diploma is not worth what a grade school diploma was worth when I graduated from high school. Without a techinical education or an AA, you are a drag on the job market. Illegal immigrants or not, do not expect more than minimum wages if you are not computer literate, and have some training in some craft.

I salute Tennessee in that they have made Community College the new high school. By making that level of education free for all, they have recognized the realities of the new job market. The other 49 states need to follow suit.

It is no different today then it was when we were young. Except that there were jobs in the mills for low educated people, those are gone now.

I don't know why we need to extend education. Why not adapt our current education system to teach trades, which I think many do, while in high school? I do agree that for the job market today advance degrees are required.

Minimum Wage Was Once Enough To Keep a Family of 3 Out of Poverty - Emily Badger - The Atlantic Cities

Since the 1980s, the federal minimum wage has kept pace with neither inflation, nor the rise of the average worker's paycheck. That means that while a federal minimum wage in 1968 could have lifted a family of three above the poverty line, now it can't even do that for a parent with one child, working full-time, 40 hours a week and 52 weeks a year (yes, this calculation assumes that the parent takes no time off).

The first full year I worked, after graduating from high school, I made $6500 at an entry level wage job. Huge amount of overtime. And my parents bought a very large old house on a large lot in a small town on the Washington State coast for $6700. Can a young person today at an entry level job make enough to equal the cost of even a small home? Even with major overtime?

The first full year I worked, after graduating from high school, I made $6500 at an entry level wage job. Huge amount of overtime. And my parents bought a very large old house on a large lot in a small town on the Washington State coast for $6700. Can a young person today at an entry level job make enough to equal the cost of even a small home? Even with major overtime?
Not unless that young person is fortunate enough to somehow have an entry level job as a brain surgeon, or be extremely talented in the business world, I cannot see that happening.

https://www.aws.org/pr/shortagefactsheet.pdf

Old rocks I agree with everything you say but there are other factors involved. I have a close friend who is a welder. He is about 60 years old. He says the younger people can't pass the X-ray tests, many welders of all ages have severe drug and alcohol and responsibility problems that disqualify them for jobs, and many of the young people just don't want those sparks raining down on them. In short they have neither a work ethic or a man ethic. My machine shop acquaintances say the same thing. These kids come out of school and if it isn't on the computer they can't even operate the machinery and don't care to. The money is good and the bosses would help anyone who showed an interest in wanting to better themselves. The machine shop has partnered with the community college to customize graduates who can step right into roles at the shop, a great idea.

All this talk about more education or training is absolutely worthless without attacking the cultural problem of the decline of the work ethic. In general people are getting paid according to a generic sense of what their education and their work ethic is. Both are in steep decline and therefore wages are stagnant. Of course this is a simplistic assessment, there are certainly many factors affecting wages. I am not blaming the victims, but I am blaming a liberal culture that coddles laziness, provides excuses not to work, and exalts in any anti-Americanism. We are capable of so much if we could just stop the brainwashing.

Forum List

Back