🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Michael Sam: I’d Still Be In the NFL if I Hadn’t Come Out

Uh huh, it couldn't be you're just lousy and not good enough, it just has to be because you are gay. He couldn't even make it in the Canadian league....oh wait the Canadians must be homophobes

Michael Sam Says – I’d Still Be In the NFL if I Hadn’t Come Out

Michael Sam could very well still be playing in the NFL had he not come out as gay, the former St. Louis Ram told sportscaster Dan Patrick on Friday.

Sam, who played defensive end at the University of Missouri before being drafted into the NFL, told Patrick becoming a media spectacle was never a part of his plan, and may have hurt his first shot at professional football.

"I wanted to come out after I made an NFL roster, it really wasn't supposed to be public," Sam said on the Dan Patrick Show during a 13-minute interview. "It was just supposed to be to the team, as I did at the University of Missouri."

But some reporters were aware of his sexuality, and Sam feared they would break the news, which he wanted to do on his own terms, he said.

"I wanted to be the one to tell my own story. I didn't want someone telling it for me," said Sam, who was the recipient of the 2014 Arthur Ashe Courage Award.

Then Patrick asked Sam if coming out hurt his professional career.

"I'm not going to say ... but it probably would have been better for me if I didn't come out, I would be on a roster," Sam said. "But, as I said, I have no regrets whatsoever."

Sam was cut by the Rams before the start of the 2014 regular season, having been beat for a roster spot by Ethan Westbrooks. From there, he was claimed by the Dallas Cowboys for their practice squad, but ultimately cut again.

Michael Sam Still in NFL If He Hadn't Come Out, He Says
If I'm going to be the one to start a union at my work, I better be able to pay my mortgage if it goes wrong and I get fired. If not I should keep my mouth shut if I want to keep my job.

In the NFL they got 5 guys looking to take your spot. If they think you are going to mess with the chemistry you're cut. Whatever the reason.

I would have stayed in the closet till my career was done.

I do understand why he actually needed to come out if he didn't want anyone "outing" him. But it should not have become an Oprah moment.

I'm amazed that Montreal took him. Oh I am so not going to go there. It just hit me. Hush my mouth.

:lmao:

Uh huh, it couldn't be you're just lousy and not good enough, it just has to be because you are gay. He couldn't even make it in the Canadian league....oh wait the Canadians must be homophobes

Michael Sam Says – I’d Still Be In the NFL if I Hadn’t Come Out

Michael Sam could very well still be playing in the NFL had he not come out as gay, the former St. Louis Ram told sportscaster Dan Patrick on Friday.

Sam, who played defensive end at the University of Missouri before being drafted into the NFL, told Patrick becoming a media spectacle was never a part of his plan, and may have hurt his first shot at professional football.

"I wanted to come out after I made an NFL roster, it really wasn't supposed to be public," Sam said on the Dan Patrick Show during a 13-minute interview. "It was just supposed to be to the team, as I did at the University of Missouri."

But some reporters were aware of his sexuality, and Sam feared they would break the news, which he wanted to do on his own terms, he said.

"I wanted to be the one to tell my own story. I didn't want someone telling it for me," said Sam, who was the recipient of the 2014 Arthur Ashe Courage Award.

Then Patrick asked Sam if coming out hurt his professional career.

"I'm not going to say ... but it probably would have been better for me if I didn't come out, I would be on a roster," Sam said. "But, as I said, I have no regrets whatsoever."

Sam was cut by the Rams before the start of the 2014 regular season, having been beat for a roster spot by Ethan Westbrooks. From there, he was claimed by the Dallas Cowboys for their practice squad, but ultimately cut again.

Michael Sam Still in NFL If He Hadn't Come Out, He Says
If I'm going to be the one to start a union at my work, I better be able to pay my mortgage if it goes wrong and I get fired. If not I should keep my mouth shut if I want to keep my job.

In the NFL they got 5 guys looking to take your spot. If they think you are going to mess with the chemistry you're cut. Whatever the reason.

I would have stayed in the closet till my career was done.

I do understand why he actually needed to come out if he didn't want anyone "outing" him. But it should not have become an Oprah moment.
Why not? Gays are demonized by a huge segment of America. They've been shamed, humiliated, driven to drugs and suicide by that segment of America. You can't blame their supporters for wanting to stick it to the bigots. :thup:

If enough people did not feel comfortable being in his presence, then what was done is what should have been done. When a person finds their self being outnumbered, what can be done exactly? If nothing about them is going to change, then to me, they may as well find somewhere else to be.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Probably doesn't help his case to say that.

The guy was a stud in college (maybe not a great choice of words there) but from what I've read he's a "tweener" in the NFL: Too small to play defensive end and too slow to play outside linebacker. But I can also see that a team would be concerned about the associated drama of signing him. Teams nowadays try to avoid any drama, and this would be a firestorm.

If he were a better player this would be a more interesting theory.

Corey Moore - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

^^^THAT IS why Sam isn't in the NFL. That's Cory Moore...legendary Virginia Tech player. Played DE...same as Sam. Was also a "tweener". Best defensive player in college football as a senior. Barely played a snap in the NFL.

Cory Moore.
Mike Mamula.
Michael Sam.
Eric Norwood.

There are dozens of "tweeners" who were All American caliber college players...but never made it in the NFL.

Guess being a homo makes Sam special.

No disrespect to Michael Sam but he was drafted in the seventh round for a reason his being gay and coming out before the draft may have played some role in that but it was hardly the only one.

No disrespect to Michael Sam but he was drafted in the seventh round for a reason his being gay and coming out before the draft may have played some role in that but it was hardly the only one.

These lefties don't understand football culture. If Hitler ran a 4.3 and could catch....some NFL team would give him a tryout and name change. All that matters in football...ALL that matters...is can you help them win. For better or worse....that's it.

I played 4 years at Furman University. Not Notre Dame or Alabama...but an ok team. I can say for sure....EVERY player who was even above average in college has a "reason" they never made it into the NFL or got cut. "Politics", coach didn't like me, X players family knows the coach/owner. It's rarely "I'm just not good enough" until guys get into their 30s and become aware of how average their 23 year old body was.

I played 4 years at Furman University. Not Notre Dame or Alabama...but an ok team. I can say for sure....EVERY player who was even above average in college has a "reason" they never made it into the NFL or got cut. "Politics", coach didn't like me, X players family knows the coach/owner. It's rarely "I'm just not good enough" until guys get into their 30s and become aware of how average their 23 year old body was.
I hear a certain team in Provo, Utah may need a new coach in the near future, you should get you application in early.
Dang they suck

He was sucking dicks in secret.

He thought by coming out he'll get access to some high priced dicks in the locker room.

Team mates disagree.

Now he regrets it. Plays victim.

I hear a certain team in Provo, Utah may need a new coach in the near future, you should get you application in early.
Dang they suck

Hah. No way. Coaches work like 90 hour weeks.

Forum List

Back