Michael Savage Attacks U.S. Veterans Suffering From PTSD

I do think the PTSD thing is overplayed. How did we ever manage before? I think there are genuine cases and should taken seriously but how is it that so many survived before without the treatments and medication. WW1, WW2, Vietnam, Korea, etc. and somehow soldiers assimilated and went on to productive lives. We are becoming a nation of victims and big pharma is raking in cash like never before.
As a child I saw victims of "shell shock" on the grounds of the Veteran's Hospital. They had a nice view of the Gulf of Mexico. That was a long time ago and it didn't start with them.

I do think the PTSD thing is overplayed. How did we ever manage before? I think there are genuine cases and should taken seriously but how is it that so many survived before without the treatments and medication. WW1, WW2, Vietnam, Korea, etc. and somehow soldiers assimilated and went on to productive lives. We are becoming a nation of victims and big pharma is raking in cash like never before.
As a child I saw victims of "shell shock" on the grounds of the Veteran's Hospital. They had a nice view of the Gulf of Mexico. That was a long time ago and it didn't start with them.
I'm sure it was the case in every war. My point is it's almost become fashionable. A lot of people that take dogs into stores and restaurants are "disabled" with PTSD.

Savage supports the troops all the time, if you put the exerpt in context with that, and the fact that his ranting was more generalized than the OP lets on, its really not so much of a big deal. I hear him from time to time and gets carried away on a tangent , easy to do when you have to talk constantly for 3 hours, Personally I think his attitude over Robin Williams was wrong, cause I think he was a great guy in RL from everything ive heard, Cant be right about everything all the time. Every talk host is going to put their foot in their mouth at some point.

Savage was a New York social worker, and a naturalist. Leftys should love him right? he earned his carbon credits a long time ago

'was.' And today he utters verbal diarrhea to the ignorant. More monies!!!!!!! A one percenter with a book to sell.

I'm sure it was the case in every war. My point is it's almost become fashionable. A lot of people that take dogs into stores and restaurants are "disabled" with PTSD.

Panic attacks are common in PTSD. There are service dogs that are trained to calm their owner down when this occurs.

Didn't I see this post in the media forum where it belongs? Just about everybody who wasn't in a coma for most of his life has experienced trauma and may or may not have nightmares and they move on without whining to the federal government about compensation and bad dreams. American Military personnel eat better, live cleaner than any other conflict in history and the tour of duty in harms way doesn't last more than a year. Cops and Firemen and emergency room hospital personnel see more trauma in a week than the US Military has seen in the past two decades. I'm sorry to say it but PTSD has become a defense for domestic abuse, substance abuse and assorted felonies. The Marine Veteran who killed a US Navy Seal and another Veteran is claiming PTSD as a defense although it seems that there is no record of a traumatic event in his Military tour. The federal government has it set up that a Veteran doesn't even have to be in combat to claim PTSD. Apparently imagining combat and faking symptoms is good enough for a modest pension.

Perhaps it's a matter of the US being more willing, in recent decades, to fully fund veterans programming within the VA healthcare system, and that same healthcare system now identifying more legitimate cases than in times past, not because there were fewer in need back then, but because both the diagnosis and treatment were not as well defined or treatable or simply not as well funded for the provision of treatment - thereby leaving far more veterans to rot in a mentally debilitating state for years on end?

I believe that Savage has, quite probably, permanently damaged his brand, with veterans.

His original statement here was thoughtless, and, in the final analysis, absolutely inexcusable.

Not to mention that he, himself, never served in such a capacity, and, therefore, has less credibility in making such statements, than a veteran would.

I used to listen to him routinely, on the way home from work here in the Chicago area, as part of some commute-time flip-flopping between Conservative and Liberal talk-radio stations, when I was in a mood to listen to political chatter rather than music.

At least until he started getting a little too weird, self-centered and more about telling the audience what a great and credible and oracular champion he was, rather than simply guiding the audience through a range of issues... his programming became far more about him than about the issues... and I found that to be arrogant, and a turn-off.

I stopped listening to him on a regular basis, some years ago, as part of my channel-hopping on the car-radio.

Given his recent remarks on the subject of veterans, I do believe that I'm done with him altogether.

All the kiss-and-make-up outreach and apologies in the world, and all the phony-baloney post facto veteran interactions and gifts in the world, aren't enough to erase his shameful behaviors and remarks - revealing what he truly believes in this context.

To hell with Michael Savage.

Forum List

Back