Military Men Chase Down Protesters Flying Upside-Down American Flag

Soldiers can be so stupid. They say they fight for my freedom and then they participate in this shit, LOL. What a sick joke.

I don't know why this is so hard to understand, but a person can't violate anyone's right to free speech.

The only way those rider's "freedom of speech" could have been violated is if the government had passed a law making it illegal.

Freedom of speech is not freedom from consequences. They pissed off a Marine, and there was a consequence for that.

If I went into the bar down the street and called the biggest guy there an asshole, he'd probably throw me through the wall. Perhaps that would be "assault", but there's no way you can argue he violated my freedom of speech.

An upside down flag is a sign of a nation in distress. In this case, I have to believe that our flag may be better off upside down. We ARE a nation in distress, after-all. Does that make me anti-American? Not in the least. It simply means that I recognize that America is in trouble.

It could be that the military-men don't know what an upside down flag represents. Perhaps they simply saw it as a sign of disrespect for our nation. And, it's also possible that the folks who held it upside down don't know that it means distress and they actually meant to show disrespect. Lack of communication and lack of knowledge could have played a role in this entire scene.

Whatever the case may be, the 1st Amendment is still relevant so the folks who held the flag upside down have a right under the Constitution (whether any one of us see it as good, bad, or indifferent).

The following link/statement questions whether an upside down flag should be displayed during economic crises. They believe that it should only be displayed upside down during times of imminent danger. I tend to think that our livlihood as Americans IS under a threat so I'm not certain that flying the flag upside down ISN'T acceptable. I can't say for sure.

Upside Down Flag

People ask if it is OK to fly the flag upside down in protest, for example: to protest the economy, an election or against the war. The Flag Code states it should only be displayed upside down when there is extreme danger to life or property. It would be quite the stretch to make an argument that any type of political purpose would constitute “dire distress”. It is recommended that people who wish to make a protest in this fashion do so that it is respectful of the flag. We must remember that our flag represents the government of the United States and all of its policies. It also stands for our freedom of speech, our right to practice or even not to practice the religion of our choice and it represents one united nation in all its glory and the American values. Most importantly it stands for the sacrifices made past, present and in the future to protect our freedoms. Read the proper ways to display the American flag under specific circumstances on our Displaying The Flag page.

Last edited:
As I understand it, flying the flag upside down is an active distress call.

Doing it to make a political statement is equivalent to calling 911 to complain about Obama.

Dishonorable discharge time.

I'm not too certain about that. I don't think the soldiers were attempting to do anything dishonorable. I truly think that they thought they were doing the right thing in defending the flag. Were they right in so doing? Probably not. They didn't actually harm anyone. They simply wanted to take the flag from the hands of someone they perceived were disrespecting the country they fought for. (I assume they were active duty at one time).

You don't get to interfere in this manner with someone's political free speech in the public square. Those service personnel are in big trouble.

I often hear those on the left tell us that none of the rights in the Bill of Rights is absolute. I guess that only applies to rights they feel we shouldn't have.

Anyway, actions have consequences and flying a US flag upside down around US patriots has the consequences we just saw. No rights violated though. The Bill of Rights is to keep the government from infringing on our rights.

You don't get to interfere in this manner with someone's political free speech in the public square. Those service personnel are in big trouble.

They may be in trouble - but it won't be for "interfering with someone's political free speech".

Only the government is prohibited from doing that, and these men were, as far as I know, not on duty at the time.

I often hear those on the left tell us that none of the rights in the Bill of Rights is absolute. I guess that only applies to rights they feel we shouldn't have.

Anyway, actions have consequences and flying a US flag upside down around US patriots has the consequences we just saw. No rights violated though. The Bill of Rights is to keep the government from infringing on our rights.

Active duty - agents of the government. Political speech interfered with by agents of the government equates to an infringement of rights.

They may be in trouble - but it won't be for "interfering with someone's political free speech".

Only the government is prohibited from doing that, and these men were, as far as I know, not on duty at the time.

If the military isn't government what is it?

Active duty - agents of the government. Political speech interfered with by agents of the government equates to an infringement of rights.

Not when you're on your own time. I did 20 years and when I walked off the ship I was basically a civilian so you're wrong on that, sir.

It's pretty clear these guys weren't on duty, or acting as agents of the government when they assaulted the guys on the scooter.

"The military" didn't do anything. 2 guys did.

It wasn't the military doing anything. It was a couple of off-duty patriots.

Last edited:
As I understand it, flying the flag upside down is an active distress call.

Doing it to make a political statement is equivalent to calling 911 to complain about Obama.

Can't agree on this one Doc. Frivolous 911 calls potentially negatively impact somebody else who genuinely needs a 911 service. This making a statement impacts nobody. Except for the symbol-minded, but that's their hangup.

Forum List

Back