Millennials triggered by Friends

Thanks for that non-answer. Anyone else?

Do you seriously expect anyone to believe that conservative Millennials would respond this way to a tv show? That would run counter to the left's argument that conservatives are a bunch of gay hating homophobes if they were getting upset about gay jokes, wouldn't it?

I'm a Millennial and I've seen Friends. I personally just find the characters annoying. I've never been triggered by it's social content, but I'm also not a loony left wing social justice warrior who thinks the term black hole is racist.

Exactly. The reason I changed it to “liberals” versus “millennials” is that normal conservative young people would not freak out about such jokes on the TV show.

I recently re-watched Friends on Netflix myself, and I was surprised how politically incorrect it was, which is of course one of the reasons it was so funny and successful.

All truly amusing shows are politically incorrect. Just try watching Seinfeld or MASH...or even Mary Tyler Moore reruns.

Yep. If there weren't some kind of social tension created somewhere ---- you wouldn't have a plot. There would be nothing to develop, nothing to resolve.

Do you seriously expect anyone to believe that conservative Millennials would respond this way to a tv show? That would run counter to the left's argument that conservatives are a bunch of gay hating homophobes if they were getting upset about gay jokes, wouldn't it?

I'm a Millennial and I've seen Friends. I personally just find the characters annoying. I've never been triggered by it's social content, but I'm also not a loony left wing social justice warrior who thinks the term black hole is racist.

Exactly. The reason I changed it to “liberals” versus “millennials” is that normal conservative young people would not freak out about such jokes on the TV show.

I recently re-watched Friends on Netflix myself, and I was surprised how politically incorrect it was, which is of course one of the reasons it was so funny and successful.

All truly amusing shows are politically incorrect. Just try watching Seinfeld or MASH...or even Mary Tyler Moore reruns.

Yep. If there weren't some kind of social tension created somewhere ---- you wouldn't have a plot. There would be nothing to develop, nothing to resolve.

Indeed. Without the social tension, it's BOOOOOORRRRRING.

Batfink
by boedicca on US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

I never watched "Friends" when it ran from 1994 to 2004.

I now watch reruns of it every day on a local cable channel.

I am 80 years old.

I think that "Friends" is hilarious.

I think that "Friends" was very progressive.

For example, Ross had Caucasian girlfriends, an Asian girlfriend, and an African American girlfriend.
For example, Ross had a lesbian wife.
For example, Chandler was, well, not exactly 100% macho.
For example, one character's young brother married an older woman (his former teacher, in fact).

In 2018, there ARE some older television programs that are no longer acceptable to be shown. But "Friends" is NOT one of them -- in my opinion.

Looks like the new generation of young and dumb liberals have discovered Friends on Netflix, and oh boy are they triggered. Far too many jokes about gays, sexual harassment, cross dressers, and even fat shaming. Then of course there are the women on the show that are constantly obsessed with “finding a man” and hoping to get married some day.

New audiences claimed that Rachel would have been fired for sexual harassment because she hires an assistant who isn’t qualified for the position because she wants to date him.

There’s also the controversial relationship between Monica and her father’s best friend who’s 20 years older than her, but it was perceived as even more uncomfortable in the wake of the Harvey Weinstein scandal and #MeToo stories.

The sitcom has also received criticism for its lack of diversity – there were only two notable non-white characters on the show: Ross’ girlfriend Julie and Dr Charlie Wheeler.

Millenials watching Friends on Netflix are shocked at how problematic it is

Poor liberals, perpetually offended by everything.

Actually they are pissed at people like you who support corruption in the government .. They are pissed at the cost of getting a college degree ..
Most are not going for their doctorate, or masters because our generation screwed them over.

Our generation of love and peace made sure to leave them with hate of anything except being white. .

I hope that you are proud of the legacy that they will have to fix once we are dead and gone..

The government getting into the college loan business is what fucked it all up.

Indeed. Without the social tension, it's BOOOOOORRRRRING.

Batfink
by boedicca on US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

Why it would be like a post without Batfink :rock:

I figure it's just like music --- you need to set up a tension so you can get to a resolution. Calamity to catharsis.
You can't just have the Enterprise floating around in space and --- nothing happens.

Friends should be shunned for the simple fact is wasn't a funny show. Highly overrated.

The humor in the show is for simpletons.

Looks like the new generation of young and dumb liberals have discovered Friends on Netflix, and oh boy are they triggered. Far too many jokes about gays, sexual harassment, cross dressers, and even fat shaming. Then of course there are the women on the show that are constantly obsessed with “finding a man” and hoping to get married some day.

New audiences claimed that Rachel would have been fired for sexual harassment because she hires an assistant who isn’t qualified for the position because she wants to date him.

There’s also the controversial relationship between Monica and her father’s best friend who’s 20 years older than her, but it was perceived as even more uncomfortable in the wake of the Harvey Weinstein scandal and #MeToo stories.

The sitcom has also received criticism for its lack of diversity – there were only two notable non-white characters on the show: Ross’ girlfriend Julie and Dr Charlie Wheeler.

Millenials watching Friends on Netflix are shocked at how problematic it is

Poor liberals, perpetually offended by everything.

Ummmmmmmmm.... where's the link say anything about "Liberals"?

Where in fact does it mention any kind of politics?

Maybe I blinked.

The whole show was all about liberal ideology.
It was the theme of ,young libs making fun of conservative stereo types.
It's funny and why it was so popular.

Forum List

Back