Minimum wage order sends veterans packing from nursing homes

Stephanie

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004
this should make your blood boil. CONTACT your Representatives in CONGRESS or sit on your asses and wail over some so so homosexual football player

SNIP:

Posted: May 08, 2014 2:17 PM CDT

Updated: May 09, 2014 11:19 AM CDT

By Gerry May - bio | email

Some military veterans are being forced to leave their nursing home. It's an unintended consequence of President Obama's executive order in February to raise the minimum wage for new federal contract workers from $7.25 to $10.10 an hour.

Sandy Franks, public affairs officer at Shreveport's Overton Brooks V. A. Medical Center, explains that nursing homes that have contracts for subsidized care from the Veterans Administration become federal contractors. If they refuse to raise their wages, their contracts will not be renewed.

Former Marine A.J. Crain just wheeled himself into his new room at Shreveport Manor on Mansfield Road when he got the news that the home's contract will end this month.

"We fought all your wars, and now we're broke. Where do we go from here?" Crain asks.

"We gotta go. Simple as that. We gotta go," says Vietnam War Bronze Star and Purple Heart recipient John Washington.

"I think it's very wrong. I think it's very distasteful," Washington goes on to say about Shreveport Manor's decision. "I mean some of these people here work their backsides off to keep this place going," he said, pointing to a woman changing his bed.

Shreveport Manor is owned by Gamble Guest Care. Their Chief Operating Officer says if they raise wages for workers there, they have to do that at all eight of their facilities.

In a statement, Gamble COO Matt Machen said, in part, "The additional labor expenses are simply unaffordable. As such, many long term care providers have indicated that they will no longer seek or renew V.A. contracts."

Franks at the V.A. agrees that this has the potential to be a national problem as more V.A. contracts with nursing homes expire.

"We will deal with it on a case by case basis," Franks says. "We will work the families and try to provide the most convenient, and the nursing homes that are up to our standards to take care of our veterans."

"I'm not too happy over the situation," grumbles former Navy sailor Charles Shufflin at Shreveport Manor.

ALL of it here
Minimum wage order sends veterans packing from nursing homes - KTBS.com - Shreveport, LA News, Weather and Sports SHREVEPORT, La -

Last edited:
If it plays well with the low information voter, the liberals will push it - irrespective of it's merits :evil:

Gonna take a lotta money to fix it...
:eek:
Cost of scramble to solve VA's waiting-time crisis: $54 billion yearly
June 19, 2014 ~ Like a waiter bringing the check after a high-spirited meal in a fine restaurant, the Congressional Budget Office has dampened some good vibes among lawmakers who rushed to solve the access-to-care crisis for veterans.
CBO estimates the cost of requiring the Department of Veterans Affairs to provide non-VA medical care to any enrolled veteran who cannot get a VA medical appointment within 30 days, or who lives more than 40 miles from a VA medical facility, at a stunning $54 billion annually. That estimate takes into account language in both the House and Senate versions of the bill that would end new guarantees on access to non-VA care after two years.But by then, CBO predicts, two million more vets who don’t use VA care today will be drawn to it by new ease of access. Veterans service organizations, though grateful overall, are worried about unintended consequences of HR 4810, as passed by the House, and of HR 3230, as modified and passed by the Senate.If politicians aren’t truly committed to treating more vets, then VA budgets to run existing facilities could be put at risk, and many vets won’t see gains in access long term.

Executives of 17 major veterans groups and military associations shared these and more concerns in a June 17 letter to chairmen and ranking members of the House and Senate veterans affairs committees.They will lead House-Senate conferees in ironing out differences between their separate bills. Plans are to have a final bill to President Obama by July 4. “While we appreciate the speed with which you have moved, the opportunity for veterans organizations and other key stakeholders to provide substantive input to the process has been limited,” warned the executives.

One big worry is that, in mandating expansion of VA’s purchased care authority, Congress must commit to forcing VA to accurately estimate and budget for the added health costs.Congress, in turn, must fully fund the new authorities and not rely on budget “gimmicks” or shift funds from accounts needed to run VA hospitals, clinics and other health care programs. “Unless additional funding is provided specifically for the expansion of purchased care, needed care will remain delayed and VA facilities will be forced to continue making tradeoffs,” vet groups warned. They fear the VA having to choose between “providing additional access through purchased care [or] expanding internal capacity for the future through additional hiring of clinicians, purchase of equipment or expansion of infrastructure.”

The House passed its bill. from its VA committee chairman Rep. Jeff Miller (R-Fla.), unanimously.The Senate bill drew only three “no” votes, all from Republicans worried over billions of dollars in unfunded costs.Sens. Bob Corker (Tenn.), Ron Johnson (Wis.) and Jeff Sessions (Ala.) even wrote to House colleague Miller, usually a reliable deficit hawk, not to allow a final bill out of conference committee that would balloon VA health budgets. Miller responded that he “is committed to paying for the reforms in a responsible manner that is fair to the taxpayers and to our veterans.” The Senate-passed Veterans Access to Care Act from Sens. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), VA committee chair, and John McCain (R-Ariz.), would expand VA reliance on medical services contracts with non-VA health care providers so any eligible veteran who requests VA care gets it promptly.

MORE

They should be paid more and if the business can't afford it, they obviously don't know how to run a business.

So it's Obama's fault that greedy corporations would rather dump old vets out on the street than pay their workers more?

Fucking idiots.

Where does blame for this situation lie except squarely at the feet of the CEOs and COOs of these healthcare companies?

Here's what he really said:
In a statement, Gamble COO Matt Machen said, in part, "The additional labor expenses are simply unaffordable. I have to buy new golf clubs and I can't do that if I'm paying my workers more so the only option is to make old veterans sleep on park benches."

Yep, total control. TOTAL control. Over everything. Liberal Marxist Sharia Martians from Kenya are in TOTAL control. Go to Wal-Mart and buy all the tinfoil that you can. Unplug everything and cover your electrical outlets because Obama's nanobots crawl into your house that way while you're asleep. Then they crawl up your nose or in your ear and release a deadly toxin into your bloodstream that immediately turns you gay.

The only way to stop them is with tin foil. And say fourteen Hail Mary's while you rub butter on yourself before you go to bed.

Another thread on this? This is what is called a duplicate thread.

sorry if it is
I didn't search
now instead of whining about two threads, contact your Representatives:smiliehug:

I sent my rep & senator a thank you letter with contribution inside. Now instead of huge pay & bonus going to managers who lie about taking care of our Vets, the people who actually really do take care of them get rewarded while their manager & boss get a pay cut. The workers also get off of food stamps I pay for eliminating more big government caseworkers job I pay for.

Last edited:
They should be paid more and if the business can't afford it, they obviously don't know how to run a business.
facepalm.jpg

Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

POlar_facepalm.jpg

facepalm-Godzilla.jpg

iuJhL7WKAxtLy.jpg

Last edited:
So it's Obama's fault that greedy corporations would rather dump old vets out on the street than pay their workers more?

Fucking idiots.

No it's Obama's fault for letting the contracts be cancelled.

Fucking idiots.

Everything is Obama's fault, according to the cons.

ah little girl it say, RIGHT HERE in the article

Some military veterans are being forced to leave their nursing home. It's an unintended consequence of President Obama's executive order in February to raise the minimum wage for new federal contract workers from $7.25 to $10.10 an hour.

So because Obama raised the minimum wage, the business is refusing to pay their workers more, and therefore the vets are homeless?

How the fuck can you blame Obama for the greediness of a company?

So because Obama raised the minimum wage, the business is refusing to pay their workers more, and therefore the vets are homeless?

How the fuck can you blame Obama for the greediness of a company?

Easy. They just say it was "Obama's fault". The end.

On the other hand. What kind of care giver do you get when you only will pay them minimum wage.?

Every day on here you can read about the unmotivated, un skilled, un trainable MW worker.

But the right wingers have no problem having the least motivated workers we have doing the yeoman job of caring for sick veterans.

And Rethugs want people to believe they are all for the veterans of America. As long as we don't have to spend any money on them. Or even have the companies that are providing the care and making millions doing it, pay a little more to the people actually providing the care.

Republicans are fucked up people.

Forum List

Back