Minimum wage order sends veterans packing from nursing homes

They should be paid more and if the business can't afford it, they obviously don't know how to run a business.

Obviously YOU'VE NEVER run a business especially with government contracts.

When costs go up that you have NO control over i.e. minimum wage what the f..k would you do?
OH yea let's fire the minimum low skill entry level workers! Good solution right?

Well that's gonna happen because jumping from $7.27 to 10.80 (NOT a mistake idiot because idiots like you forget the employer also pays into SS/Medicare 7.65% on top of the salary!

So these businesses NEVER took into account idiot Obama' EXECUTIVE ORDER making these businesses costs to jump in one fell swoop 48%! NO business with most of its costs tied up in
labor would be able to calculate that!
But of course such business savvy people like YOU knew Obama would be that stupid to
add nearly 50% more to cost of businesses!

this should make your blood boil. CONTACT your Representatives in CONGRESS or sit on your asses and wail over some so so homosexual football player

SNIP:

Posted: May 08, 2014 2:17 PM CDT

Updated: May 09, 2014 11:19 AM CDT

By Gerry May - bio | email

Some military veterans are being forced to leave their nursing home. It's an unintended consequence of President Obama's executive order in February to raise the minimum wage for new federal contract workers from $7.25 to $10.10 an hour.

Sandy Franks, public affairs officer at Shreveport's Overton Brooks V. A. Medical Center, explains that nursing homes that have contracts for subsidized care from the Veterans Administration become federal contractors. If they refuse to raise their wages, their contracts will not be renewed.

Former Marine A.J. Crain just wheeled himself into his new room at Shreveport Manor on Mansfield Road when he got the news that the home's contract will end this month.

"We fought all your wars, and now we're broke. Where do we go from here?" Crain asks.

"We gotta go. Simple as that. We gotta go," says Vietnam War Bronze Star and Purple Heart recipient John Washington.

"I think it's very wrong. I think it's very distasteful," Washington goes on to say about Shreveport Manor's decision. "I mean some of these people here work their backsides off to keep this place going," he said, pointing to a woman changing his bed.

Shreveport Manor is owned by Gamble Guest Care. Their Chief Operating Officer says if they raise wages for workers there, they have to do that at all eight of their facilities.

In a statement, Gamble COO Matt Machen said, in part, "The additional labor expenses are simply unaffordable. As such, many long term care providers have indicated that they will no longer seek or renew V.A. contracts."

Franks at the V.A. agrees that this has the potential to be a national problem as more V.A. contracts with nursing homes expire.

"We will deal with it on a case by case basis," Franks says. "We will work the families and try to provide the most convenient, and the nursing homes that are up to our standards to take care of our veterans."

"I'm not too happy over the situation," grumbles former Navy sailor Charles Shufflin at Shreveport Manor.

ALL of it here
Minimum wage order sends veterans packing from nursing homes - KTBS.com - Shreveport, LA News, Weather and Sports SHREVEPORT, La -
Let's see if I have this straight. Because a nursing home in Shreveport is to cheap to pay a living wage to it's employees it is in violation of a Federal Government law. And because they refuse to raise their wages the Federal Government will no longer pay to keep vets in that home.
It looks to me like the nursing home places a greater value on its profits rather than its patients. Isn't that the republican way. "Screw the vets, we're just in this for the bucks." The vets will probably be lucky to be out of that place. If the home doesn't treat their staff with respect what are the chances it will treat its patients with respect.
I have no doubt other nursing homes in the area will pick up the slack.
Basically this is more of stephanie throwing shit against the wall and hoping it will stick.

this should make your blood boil. CONTACT your Representatives in CONGRESS or sit on your asses and wail over some so so homosexual football player

SNIP:

Some military veterans are being forced to leave their nursing home. It's an unintended consequence of President Obama's executive order in February to raise the minimum wage for new federal contract workers from $7.25 to $10.10 an hour.

Sandy Franks, public affairs officer at Shreveport's Overton Brooks V. A. Medical Center, explains that nursing homes that have contracts for subsidized care from the Veterans Administration become federal contractors. If they refuse to raise their wages, their contracts will not be renewed.

Former Marine A.J. Crain just wheeled himself into his new room at Shreveport Manor on Mansfield Road when he got the news that the home's contract will end this month.

"We fought all your wars, and now we're broke. Where do we go from here?" Crain asks.

"We gotta go. Simple as that. We gotta go," says Vietnam War Bronze Star and Purple Heart recipient John Washington.

"I think it's very wrong. I think it's very distasteful," Washington goes on to say about Shreveport Manor's decision. "I mean some of these people here work their backsides off to keep this place going," he said, pointing to a woman changing his bed.

Shreveport Manor is owned by Gamble Guest Care. Their Chief Operating Officer says if they raise wages for workers there, they have to do that at all eight of their facilities.

In a statement, Gamble COO Matt Machen said, in part, "The additional labor expenses are simply unaffordable. As such, many long term care providers have indicated that they will no longer seek or renew V.A. contracts."

Franks at the V.A. agrees that this has the potential to be a national problem as more V.A. contracts with nursing homes expire.

"We will deal with it on a case by case basis," Franks says. "We will work the families and try to provide the most convenient, and the nursing homes that are up to our standards to take care of our veterans."

"I'm not too happy over the situation," grumbles former Navy sailor Charles Shufflin at Shreveport Manor.

ALL of it here
Minimum wage order sends veterans packing from nursing homes - KTBS.com - Shreveport, LA News, Weather and Sports SHREVEPORT, La -
Let's see if I have this straight. Because a nursing home in Shreveport is to cheap to pay a living wage to it's employees it is in violation of a Federal Government law. And because they refuse to raise their wages the Federal Government will no longer pay to keep vets in that home.
It looks to me like the nursing home places a greater value on its profits rather than its patients. Isn't that the republican way. "Screw the vets, we're just in this for the bucks." The vets will probably be lucky to be out of that place. If the home doesn't treat their staff with respect what are the chances it will treat its patients with respect.
I have no doubt other nursing homes in the area will pick up the slack.
Basically this is more of stephanie throwing shit against the wall and hoping it will stick.
If they don't make a profit how do you expect them to stay open? Who is going to pay their bills if they can't afford to? If the business owners don't make a profit, why would they want to be business owners?

So because Obama raised the minimum wage, the business is refusing to pay their workers more, and therefore the vets are homeless?

How the fuck can you blame Obama for the greediness of a company?

GREED??? YOU f...king dummy!
HE RAISED THE COSTS by 50%!
The "greedy owners" can't raise the contracts because fixed prices!

Unbelievable how f...king stupid not Obama is but idiots like you!

You've never never made a profit because YOU like Obama DEPEND ON the profits of "greedy owners' to pay
taxes to pay your salaries you leeches!

Neocons would rather taxpayers subsidize underpaid employees rather than pay them a living wage. Like Walmart...

walmart_low_morals_alt.jpg

BTW, the OP is bullshit.

The DOL anticipates issuing a final rule by October 1, 2014. The rule will become effective for contracts that are new or renegotiated on or after January 1, 2015; however, the executive order encourages agencies to ensure that federal contractors pay the new minimum wage for employees working under contracts entered into or negotiated after February 12, 2014, but before January 1, 2015. Employers and other members of the public may submit comments on the proposed rule within 30 days.

MORE: DOL Proposed Rule Raises Minimum Wage to $10.10 for Federal Contractors

So because Obama raised the minimum wage, the business is refusing to pay their workers more, and therefore the vets are homeless?

Proof?

Easy. They just say it was "Obama's fault". The end.

On the other hand. What kind of care giver do you get when you only will pay them minimum wage.?

Every day on here you can read about the unmotivated, un skilled, un trainable MW worker.

But the right wingers have no problem having the least motivated workers we have doing the yeoman job of caring for sick veterans.

And Rethugs want people to believe they are all for the veterans of America. As long as we don't have to spend any money on them. Or even have the companies that are providing the care and making millions doing it, pay a little more to the people actually providing the care.

Republicans are fucked up people.

Excuse you sir but at least they are fighting for the vets to get the worst care money can buy like real patriots :doubt:

"The additional labor expenses are simply unaffordable..."

They should open their books and prove that.

They're already open U.S. GAO - VA Health Care: Contract Labor Cost Analysis in RAND Study
And um, instead of just reading the summary and then replying that's not it, try opening the pdf first.

You got me to look at something irrelevant. Good one. You got me.

I'm sorry, you don't know how to think or you would understand why it is relevant.
In 2002 National total contractual labor was $618,853,035 which was 5.2% of labor. Multiply that out by 20 and you get how much they had to spend on labor for that year. It is a matter of public record how much they were paid by the government to house these people. Look this up and do some math to find out how much was left for infrastructure and profit. You just want somebody to do all the work for you so you can mock and criticize the results instead of doing the legwork for yourself.

In fact most of these residence's have public books you can look at and see this information if you just took the time and effort to look.

If you took the time to look you'd see these places are making like 5% profit. If you increase the cost of labor by 50% that would erase the profit and they will have no choice but to discontinue taking the vets as residents or go completely out of business.

It was completely irresponsible of Obama requiring everyone to raise their costs without allowing them to rebid the contracts so they can bid the contracts up in order to cover the costs.

They should be paid more and if the business can't afford it, they obviously don't know how to run a business.
What insight do you have into their business? What do you know about their expenses and profits?

In any business there has to be an upper limit on how much they can afford to pay their employees. Do you know what that limit is for every business in the USA? And what makes you think you know?

You can't just pick an arbitrary number and say, "if you can't afford to pay THIS you don't know how to run a business."

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Government contracts here are either low balled or given as political favors. I am guessing this was a low balled contract.

Neocons would rather taxpayers subsidize underpaid employees rather than pay them a living wage. Like Walmart...

walmart_low_morals_alt.jpg

Just curious do you know one entitlement that was gone beside slavery in the states?

What insight do you have into their business? What do you know about their expenses and profits?

In any business there has to be an upper limit on how much they can afford to pay their employees. Do you know what that limit is for every business in the USA? And what makes you think you know?

You can't just pick an arbitrary number and say, "if you can't afford to pay THIS you don't know how to run a business."

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

If you are a big business, turning over millions each year, then yes, you can certainly afford to pay your employees ten dollars per hour.

SNIP:

ALL of it here

You really dont get tire of embarrassing yourself do you ? First it was the american spring thing then honey bees now this! :cuckoo:

Forum List

Back