Misconceptions

Unkotare

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2011
People unfamiliar with any place tend to harbor misconceptions that, for some reason, they find very hard to shake. Most of the time this stems from flat-out ignorance. Occasionally, misconceptions are the product of exposure to too much ridiculous fiction, or even clinging to wartime propaganda from long ago. The cure for this is usually experience, familiarity, and reason.

"Long-held stereotypes about food, samurai spirit, and an unyielding work ethic are all tropes that have contributed to the exoticizing of Japan in Western minds. During World War II, that went a step further, to outright demonization, with demeaning caricatures and even concentration camps for Japanese Americans."

People unfamiliar with any place tend to harbor misconceptions that, for some reason, they find very hard to shake. Most of the time this stems from flat-out ignorance. Occasionally, misconceptions are the product of exposure to too much ridiculous fiction, or even clinging to wartime propaganda from long ago. The cure for this is usually experience, familiarity, and reason.

"Long-held stereotypes about food, samurai spirit, and an unyielding work ethic are all tropes that have contributed to the exoticizing of Japan in Western minds. During World War II, that went a step further, to outright demonization, with demeaning caricatures and even concentration camps for Japanese Americans."
And the culture of the American who is doing the demonizing Ter.

The cure for this is usually experience, familiarity, and reason.

And develop a culture in which none of that can be learned.

Let's try this again:

"Misophonia is a condition in which people can be annoyed by common sounds—a screaming baby, for example, or someone smacking their food, or perhaps a baby smacking their food while also screaming. If you have misophonia, you might have second thoughts about a trip to Japan, where residents reportedly slurp loudly and purposefully during mealtimes to show their appreciation for delicious noodle bowls. ...

In fact, the only thing rude about this scenario is assuming it exists at all. While it’s true that Japanese people do slurp without feeling self-conscious, it’s not expected or considered impolite to refrain from doing so. Slurping is done to help draw in air to cool down hot noodle dishes and experience a retronasal smell, or sniffing through your mouth and taste buds. Slurping also keeps more of the broth on the noodle. It’s more of a food strategy to maximize taste than a cultural custom. You don’t have to do it and no one will throw you a dirty look for skipping it. Some Japanese people even consider slurping too loudly a form of noodle harassment, where foreigners can feel intimidated or even unwelcome by the volume of slurping."

What does it have to do with Japan? My uncle was murdered by the stinking Japs sneak attack at Pearl Harbor.
And? Do you really think ALL Japanese are responsible for that? Do you think every American that was killed at Pearl Harbor that day has relatives that place blame on all Japanese citizens? Shouldn't your anger be placed more on our government for thinking we would never be attacked and forced into the war?

Let's try this again:

3. Misconception: Everyone eats sushi.​

"You might say sushi is to Japan what hamburgers are to America. But we don’t eat hamburgers every day. In Japan, sushi is not an everyday part of diets in the way, say, oatmeal or eggs might be for Americans. It’s more of a special-occasion dish, something ordered for events like birthdays. What’s more, what we think of sushi isn’t even what you’d typically find in Japan. Popular sushi dishes in the U.S., like spicy tuna, aren’t common there. The same goes for avocado or other extras like mayo.

You can also stop practicing your chopsticks game. Most people in Japan eat sushi with their hands, not with any utensils, although it’s certainly socially acceptable to break out the sticks."

One of my nephews was stationed in Japan for 2 years. He loved it and didn't want to leave. When I was in the military, Japan was on my list of places to be stationed at.

One of my nephews was stationed in Japan for 2 years. He loved it and didn't want to leave. When I was in the military, Japan was on my list of places to be stationed at.

It's a nice place to live. This very "go his own way" guy I knew ran a jazz bar around the corner from my apartment near Nagoya. He kept a bottle there with my name on it. Every time I walked through the door he would grab it and pour some whiskey. It would be waiting by the time I got to my usual seat at the end of the bar. He invited me to this girl from Australia........but that's another story.

It's a nice place to live. This very "go his own way" guy I knew ran a jazz bar around the corner from my apartment near Nagoya. He kept a bottle there with my name on it. Every time I walked through the door he would grab it and pour some whiskey. It would be waiting by the time I got to my usual seat at the end of the bar. He invited me to this girl from Australia........but that's another story.

My nephew always had good things to say about his time there. He said the people in Japan, no matter where he went, were always very friendly and more than willing to help with directions and pretty much anything else. My sister-in-law went over there to visit and stayed for a month. She wants to go back and stay longer. She said she was never treated as a stranger there. When my nephews' neighbors found out she had come to visit, they brought food, gifts, and volunteered to take her wherever she wanted to go.

My nephew always had good things to say about his time there. He said the people in Japan, no matter where he went, were always very friendly and more than willing to help with directions and pretty much anything else. My sister-in-law went over there to visit and stayed for a month. She wants to go back and stay longer. She said she was never treated as a stranger there. When my nephews' neighbors found out she had come to visit, they brought food, gifts, and volunteered to take her wherever she wanted to go.

When I lived there two friends of mine who were History teachers in FL came to visit. I group of housewives I was tutoring on the side met with them and the next day brought them round trip tickets to Hiroshima so they could see the Peace Park and enjoy the great food there. My friends, particularly the wife of a guy who was on the wrestling team with me in college were really moved by the gesture. To this day they tell their students about it when the inevitable topic comes up.

Forum List

Back