MLB 2023 Schedule Changes

That's a good change. But they need to do something about this Bally Sports channel. Nobody can watch baseball here in N. Texas.

That's a good change. But they need to do something about this Bally Sports channel. Nobody can watch baseball here in N. Texas.
No Astros or Ranger games?

I looked. It's cable tv or you are screwed.

No Astros or Ranger games?

I looked. It's cable tv or you are screwed.
Yeah, it was fine when Fox Sports Southwest had the coverage.... but they got in a pissing contest with MLB (I think) and baseball was gone for 1 year.... then Bally Sports bought FSW but it's only available on DirecTV which is like 10% of the streaming market. I'll probably ween myself off the sport... Rangers suck anyway...

The 2023 MLB season is going to have all teams playing each other. It is good if you want to see both of your NL and AL teams play together.

Sort of a stupid idea.

Sounds like a lot more travel for the boys.

If a team plays one 3 game series, home and away with each of the 29 other teams, that is 145 games.

Only leaves 17 games left for intradivision rivalries.

The 2023 MLB season is going to have all teams playing each other. It is good if you want to see both of your NL and AL teams play together.

I put together some thoughts about the changes I'd like to see a while back--specifically talking about the scheduling. The NFL has it down to a science. MLB should copy it.
  1. Expand to 32 teams. Add franchises in Las Vegas and Nashville. Take the current 15 team leagues that have 3 divisions and convert them into 16 team leagues with 4 divisions. Just like the NFL.
  2. In 2021, the D-Backs played the Padres, Dodgers, Giants and Rockies 19 times each. Holy Shit!Does anyone need to see 19 games between two teams? My plan would be to do the following
    • Play your 3 division rivals 14 times a year (42 Games). Play each other (non divisional) team in your league 9 times (108 Games). That will get you to 150 games. The other 12 are inter-league with another division from the other league. Just like the NFL sets it up every year to where you play 2 home games and 2 away games with a division from the other conference, you have that with the opposite league's teams. Meaning that the NL West would play 2 away series with two AL Central teams and two AL Central teams would visit.
  3. Two parts to this one.
    • When the other team comes to visit, I would only have it on weekends and do a double header on the Saturday followed by a Sunday night game. This would mean you have two double headers scheduled a year.
    • I love what they did with Iowa last year. More please. I would have a lot more special venue games. About 6 per year. Puerto Rico! The DR. Mexico City. Sao Paulo. Even a barn-storming event once in a while. Hank Aaron stadium in Mobile... There is a beautiful stadium up in Buffalo, NY. I'm sure there are great little parks around the mid west and northeast.
I'll have to look at what MLB did in actuality. I think most would agree that you shouldn't play 3 other teams 19 games apiece. It's borderline insanity. Fourteen times a year is not a lot better, admittedly, but it legitimizes the divisional champion.

I put together some thoughts about the changes I'd like to see a while back--specifically talking about the scheduling. The NFL has it down to a science. MLB should copy it.

I'll have to look at what MLB did in actuality. I think most would agree that you shouldn't play 3 other teams 19 games apiece. It's borderline insanity. Fourteen times a year is not a lot better, admittedly, but it legitimizes the divisional champion.
I'm somewhat on the fence about any of the changes. Some hardcore fans are against all inter-league play. When the LA teams play freeway series I don't care for them one bit. To me it seems like an exhibition game. Watching two divisional teams playing each other so many times... I don't like it that much either. Changes like the NL now having a permanant DH bothered me big time.

I'm somewhat on the fence about any of the changes. Some hardcore fans are against all inter-league play. When the LA teams play freeway series I don't care for them one bit. To me it seems like an exhibition game. Watching two divisional teams playing each other so many times... I don't like it that much either. Changes like the NL now having a permanant DH bothered me big time.

I'm of the opinion that the leagues should have the same rules. In English Soccer, the biggest matches are called Derbies...when two West London (or North London, or Manchester) teams play one another. There is heavy official community involvement, ceremonies, trash talk, etc... It happens twice a season. It's hard to have that passion when it's happening 19 times a season (or 14 times). If MLB is going to continue to treat the games as inventory...the fans will continue to see it as "just another game".

I really think that each team should give up 3 home games a season (or perhaps every other or every third season) and do the barnstorming thing I mentioned. Play on the Field of Dreams in Iowa... Have a game in Mexico City or in Mobile. Get some buzz going about the novelty. Perhaps schedule these games on the same weekend to make it more of an event. KC vs. STL in Davenport IA...
1661398487351.png

The same weekend, have the Reds and the Guardians play in Kensucky
1661398570886.png

Make it a tradition...

No matter how they do it the number of games should be negotiable downward several games or so for more even playing against other teams and to start the playoffs earlier. More doubleheaders also. But the dollar has become too important. When I was a kid, the regular season games started at 8 p.m. on night games, then 7:35p.m. then 7:05 p.m. Next year in Philly, they will start many games at 6:40 p.m. A season that ends two weeks earlier will mean a lot.

No matter how they do it the number of games should be negotiable downward several games or so for more even playing against other teams and to start the playoffs earlier. More doubleheaders also. But the dollar has become too important. When I was a kid, the regular season games started at 8 p.m. on night games, then 7:35p.m. then 7:05 p.m. Next year in Philly, they will start many games at 6:40 p.m. A season that ends two weeks earlier will mean a lot.
Wow, you almost remained on topic for an entire paragraph for once. Hope spring eternal.

Forum List

Back