More lefties learn the glory of the 15 dollar minimum wage....unemployment.....

The goal of liberals is to put as many as possible in financial extremis. Then the poor can be encouraged into revolution.

That and ready made welfare recipients that will vote for more hand outs.

Low wages help create welfare recipients.

poor life choices and easy access to government handouts creates welfare recipients.

And you think it's better to have welfare rather than increasing minimum wage?

I think its better for the people making minimum wage to improve themselves. Raising minimum wage and providing perpetual welfare removes the impetus for that.

Why are wages so stagnant given more people have college educations?

Here are more people being enlightened with basic economics.....

Seattle Minimum Wage Kills Jobs Hurts Students PJ Tatler

Students at the University of Washington in Tacoma are getting an object lesson in the value of a dollar. As economic dominoes fall in the wake of a municipal minimum wage hike to $15 per hour in Seattle, university students find themselves digging deeper into their pockets to cover higher prices resulting from the mandate.

Elsewhere, small-business employees initially thrilled by the “raise” granted them by the city have since learned that they’ll be losing their jobs later this year. Red Alert Politics reports:

[Z Pizza] owner Ritu Shah Burnham said she just can’t afford the city’s mandated wage hikes.

“I’ve let one person go since April 1, I’ve cut hours since April 1, I’ve taken them myself because I don’t pay myself,” she told Q13. “I’ve also raised my prices a little bit, there’s no other way to do it.”
Just business 101. Labor is a big cost of doing business. If you don't want to pay your workers a living wage, then close the doors and do something else with your life. Well, business owners can always hire cheap illegal immigrant labor. They'll work for $20.00 a day, which is twice what they earned in their home country. Either pay workers a living wage, or hire illegal immigrant labor, a very simple choice. Or, just close the doors and retire with all the money cheap labor enabled you to make over the years.
Sure, and put ALL your employees out of work. What do they matter when we're trying to make a political point?
Again, either pay them, or close the doors. What are the other choices? You can't force workers to stay if they don't want to. And, you can't change laws by poor-mouthing. Either pay them, or hire illegal immigrants, or close the doors, very simple.
You forgot the other choices, raise prices and lay off as many as you need to. Who cares about them when you're making a political point?
Yep, that's another choice.

Only for the morons who try and make a living flipping burgers.
We pay in food stamps or higher costs. I rather not fuck up the entire system so a few bums can get artificially high wages.

So you prefer welfare then.

Yep. It's a better route than fucking up the entire system of labor costs.
They get double their previous pay everyone else will rightfully demand the same.
What do you think is going to happen to the price of goods when that happens?

They aren't getting double. And this only effects low wage earners. I don't expect much of a change in price of goods. Historically that has been the case.

The current Federal minimum is $7.25. Your side wants $15 as the minimum. Actually its more than double.

And when those people making $15 an hour become minimum wage workers, you don't think they will press for more $$? How did they all of a sudden become worth the same as a burger flipper?

Ah now you are talking federal? Thought we were talking about Seattle still. There won't be a $15 federal min wage.

poor life choices and easy access to government handouts creates welfare recipients.

I think its better for the people making minimum wage to improve themselves. Raising minimum wage and providing perpetual welfare removes the impetus for that.

It's an employers' market. very simple.

Students at the University of Washington in Tacoma are getting an object lesson in the value of a dollar. As economic dominoes fall in the wake of a municipal minimum wage hike to $15 per hour in Seattle, university students find themselves digging deeper into their pockets to cover higher prices resulting from the mandate.

Elsewhere, small-business employees initially thrilled by the “raise” granted them by the city have since learned that they’ll be losing their jobs later this year. Red Alert Politics reports:

[Z Pizza] owner Ritu Shah Burnham said she just can’t afford the city’s mandated wage hikes.

“I’ve let one person go since April 1, I’ve cut hours since April 1, I’ve taken them myself because I don’t pay myself,” she told Q13. “I’ve also raised my prices a little bit, there’s no other way to do it.”
Just business 101. Labor is a big cost of doing business. If you don't want to pay your workers a living wage, then close the doors and do something else with your life. Well, business owners can always hire cheap illegal immigrant labor. They'll work for $20.00 a day, which is twice what they earned in their home country. Either pay workers a living wage, or hire illegal immigrant labor, a very simple choice. Or, just close the doors and retire with all the money cheap labor enabled you to make over the years.

Where are you finding these illegals who'll work for twenty bucks a day?
I'm NOT finding them. I'm NOT looking for them. But, they'll work for cheaper wages than American citizens. Just ask landscapers, contractors, motels, and others that hire them. Ask farmers, meat packaging plants, and others.

Trust me,you wont find them at that price anymore.
If you go down to the Home Depot you'll find they want a minimum of 10 bucks an hour.

Because a large part of those college educations consist of useless degrees held by too many people.

Get an Engineering Degree, or an Accounting Degree and see how long you are not working, and how stagnant your wages are.

Where are you finding these illegals who'll work for twenty bucks a day?
I'm NOT finding them. I'm NOT looking for them. But, they'll work for cheaper wages than American citizens. Just ask landscapers, contractors, motels, and others that hire them. Ask farmers, meat packaging plants, and others.

Trust me,you wont find them at that price anymore.
If you go down to the Home Depot you'll find they want a minimum of 10 bucks an hour.

$10 an hour, plus lunch. The difference is those guys WORK.

Because a large part of those college educations consist of useless degrees held by too many people.

Get an Engineering Degree, or an Accounting Degree and see how long you are not working, and how stagnant your wages are.

Yeah...the need for underwater basket weavers has fallen off sharply for some reason.

Last edited:

Yeah...the need for underwater basket weavers has fallen of sharply for some reason.

For some degrees is a glut of people getting them. In some fields the number of job openings has not increased with the number of degrees issued. That creates two problems, 1) too many people for the jobs, and 2) the surplus drives down salaries.

Not really anything in that article confirming any of the claims. Is this like the last one you posted where a business claimed they were closing but really didn't?

The business you are referring to was going to close and then people gave them charity to stay open.....they are going to close...charity won't last.....they aren't staying open because they are making enough money.....they are staying open because people are just going to give them money...and again, it won't last....

Sure, and put ALL your employees out of work. What do they matter when we're trying to make a political point?
Again, either pay them, or close the doors. What are the other choices? You can't force workers to stay if they don't want to. And, you can't change laws by poor-mouthing. Either pay them, or hire illegal immigrants, or close the doors, very simple.

the other choice....politicians with no skin in the game should mind their own business....not set the wages for people who actually run the business.......that is the real choice....

If you care to dispute claims in the OP, some basis other than your emotions would be in order.
Are you calling Ritu Shah Burnham a liar?

Well the increase has hardly even taken effect. It will be years before it reaches $15. There is no way that a few cents increase to minimum wage workers is causing noticeable inflation. And a few cents increase shouldn't make it so a business goes under. They were in trouble already obviously. The claims of the article are obviously false.
So it's better to force a marginal business to fail, thus kicking EVERYONE out of a job?

If this small increase is putting them under they were going under regardless.

No...they were making a living.....then greedy, corrupt politicians increased their employment cost making them no longer capable of making a living...now they aren't making a living......

Not really anything in that article confirming any of the claims. Is this like the last one you posted where a business claimed they were closing but really didn't?

The business you are referring to was going to close and then people gave them charity to stay open.....they are going to close...charity won't last.....they aren't staying open because they are making enough money.....they are staying open because people are just going to give them money...and again, it won't last....

They are staying open. The closing was all a farce. Don't be duped so easy.

Why would anyone want to change the minimum wage? I was making the MW when I started working in 1959. If $.80 per hour was good enough for me, it should be good enough for today's kids!

If you care to dispute claims in the OP, some basis other than your emotions would be in order.

Well the increase has hardly even taken effect. It will be years before it reaches $15. There is no way that a few cents increase to minimum wage workers is causing noticeable inflation. And a few cents increase shouldn't make it so a business goes under. They were in trouble already obviously. The claims of the article are obviously false.
So it's better to force a marginal business to fail, thus kicking EVERYONE out of a job?

No...they were making a living.....then greedy, corrupt politicians increased their employment cost making them no longer capable of making a living...now they aren't making a living......

No they were going under regardless. And we don't really know this business is going under at all.

No they were going under regardless. And we don't really know this business is going under at all.

No...many buisinesses make enough for their owners to provide for themselves and their employees....unlike the mythology of the left, not all businesses have millions in reserve, some make enough to support their families and that is about it...then greedy, corrupt politicians, supported by foolish no nothings come in and jack up a cost.....the wages....artificially, sending them over the edge and they can no longer make it.....

No...many buisinesses make enough for their owners to provide for themselves and their employees....unlike the mythology of the left, not all businesses have millions in reserve, some make enough to support their families and that is about it...then greedy, corrupt politicians, supported by foolish no nothings come in and jack up a cost.....the wages....artificially, sending them over the edge and they can no longer make it.....

A few cents isn't going to make a difference for a healthy business. The sky has never fallen with a min wage increase, stop acting like it does.

Yeah...the need for underwater basket weavers has fallen of sharply for some reason.

For some degrees is a glut of people getting them. In some fields the number of job openings has not increased with the number of degrees issued. That creates two problems, 1) too many people for the jobs, and 2) the surplus drives down salaries.
In addition, we import labor, off-shore out-source labor, we've lost many industries to cheap foreign labor markets, America no longer produces what America uses and consumes. We've become import dependent. Technology, innovation, and automation has replaced workers, and we have millions of illegal immigrants living and working in this country. We've closed our plants and factories in favor of strengthening foreign economies. We've sacrificed our economic well-being in favor of supporting foreign labor in foreign countries.

Over the past 50 plus years, we've lost the textile, steel, electronics, tool, toy, appliance, furniture, housewares, automotive parts, and farm equipment industries. Very few plants and factories remain. Our plants and factories once ran 24/7, and provided living wage self-supporting jobs that covered all education and skill levels. Now most of those jobs are in foreign countries. Due to our unfair, unjust, and one-sided foreign trade agreements and polices, high union wages and benefits, and corporate greed, what we buy and use is mostly imported. We have college grads flipping burgers and living with parents, we have those workers aged 50 and older that can't find a job, employers are producing more with less employees, and employers are offering less company paid benefits.

Meanwhile, the cost of living continues to out-pace wages, and workers are struggling just to make ends meet. We have less home ownership, more poverty, more citizens dependent on some form of government assistance, malls becoming ghost buildings, cities going bankrupt, pension funds in trouble, an astronomical and rising national debt, and a growing population. Worker do not have enough spendable income in their pockets to support the retail market. Tax revenue is down, and we've created a poor and dependent society. Our jobs are now mainly part-time, low wage, and temporary employment. Our work force continues to out-grow available jobs.

What will change this economic disaster? What will change this socially destructive process?

Business will just have to make adjustments. Fire a few, cut hours, automate. The only solution is to have less labor costs. These businesses will be facing increased costs of their own.

The age of the independent entrepreneur may have come to an end. It will be impossible for a small business owner to struggle up from nothing into a substantial concern. They just won't be able to grow or expand.

A few cents isn't going to make a difference for a healthy business. The sky has never fallen with a min wage increase, stop acting like it does.

Possibly if the idiot protesters hadnt shot themselves in the foot by demanding 15 bucks an hour.....

Forum List

Back