More lefties learn the glory of the 15 dollar minimum wage....unemployment.....

Here are more people being enlightened with basic economics.....

Seattle Minimum Wage Kills Jobs Hurts Students PJ Tatler

Students at the University of Washington in Tacoma are getting an object lesson in the value of a dollar. As economic dominoes fall in the wake of a municipal minimum wage hike to $15 per hour in Seattle, university students find themselves digging deeper into their pockets to cover higher prices resulting from the mandate.

Elsewhere, small-business employees initially thrilled by the “raise” granted them by the city have since learned that they’ll be losing their jobs later this year. Red Alert Politics reports:

[Z Pizza] owner Ritu Shah Burnham said she just can’t afford the city’s mandated wage hikes.

“I’ve let one person go since April 1, I’ve cut hours since April 1, I’ve taken them myself because I don’t pay myself,” she told Q13. “I’ve also raised my prices a little bit, there’s no other way to do it.”
Just business 101. Labor is a big cost of doing business. If you don't want to pay your workers a living wage, then close the doors and do something else with your life. Well, business owners can always hire cheap illegal immigrant labor. They'll work for $20.00 a day, which is twice what they earned in their home country. Either pay workers a living wage, or hire illegal immigrant labor, a very simple choice. Or, just close the doors and retire with all the money cheap labor enabled you to make over the years.
Sure, and put ALL your employees out of work. What do they matter when we're trying to make a political point?
Again, either pay them, or close the doors. What are the other choices? You can't force workers to stay if they don't want to. And, you can't change laws by poor-mouthing. Either pay them, or hire illegal immigrants, or close the doors, very simple.
You forgot the other choices, raise prices and lay off as many as you need to. Who cares about them when you're making a political point?

Students at the University of Washington in Tacoma are getting an object lesson in the value of a dollar. As economic dominoes fall in the wake of a municipal minimum wage hike to $15 per hour in Seattle, university students find themselves digging deeper into their pockets to cover higher prices resulting from the mandate.

Elsewhere, small-business employees initially thrilled by the “raise” granted them by the city have since learned that they’ll be losing their jobs later this year. Red Alert Politics reports:

[Z Pizza] owner Ritu Shah Burnham said she just can’t afford the city’s mandated wage hikes.

“I’ve let one person go since April 1, I’ve cut hours since April 1, I’ve taken them myself because I don’t pay myself,” she told Q13. “I’ve also raised my prices a little bit, there’s no other way to do it.”
I don't get why so many business owners treat labor as a fixed cost. It is anything but. Prices go up for everything, including labor.

And shame on people paying minimum wage just because the government enables them to do so.

Why pay people more than their labor is worth?
I didn't say to do that. Labor should go up with inflation just like everything else. Expecting to pay someone a minimum wage that has been in effect for 10 years is retarded.

Was til libs helped them into financial extremity
The goal of liberals is to put as many as possible in financial extremis. Then the poor can be encouraged into revolution.

That and ready made welfare recipients that will vote for more hand outs.

Low wages help create welfare recipients.

Only for the morons who try and make a living flipping burgers.
We pay in food stamps or higher costs. I rather not fuck up the entire system so a few bums can get artificially high wages.

I don't get why so many business owners treat labor as a fixed cost. It is anything but. Prices go up for everything, including labor.

And shame on people paying minimum wage just because the government enables them to do so.

Why pay more? Some people like to eat.

If you care to dispute claims in the OP, some basis other than your emotions would be in order.
Are you calling Ritu Shah Burnham a liar?

Well the increase has hardly even taken effect. It will be years before it reaches $15. There is no way that a few cents increase to minimum wage workers is causing noticeable inflation. And a few cents increase shouldn't make it so a business goes under. They were in trouble already obviously. The claims of the article are obviously false.
So it's better to force a marginal business to fail, thus kicking EVERYONE out of a job?

I didn't say to do that. Labor should go up with inflation just like everything else. Expecting to pay someone a minimum wage that has been in effect for 10 years is retarded.

If the value of their labor didn't go up, why pay them more? More importantly, why pay them $15 an hour? Are they going to become more productive? Can the owner raise prices to maintain his profit margin?

The value of your labor goes up when the value you produce goes up. In most instances it means you get promoted or move on to a better position. Expecting to make more money while providing the same value is silly.

Why pay more? Some people like to eat.

Then they should have made better life choices and not be stuck in a minimum wage job.

The goal of liberals is to put as many as possible in financial extremis. Then the poor can be encouraged into revolution.

poor life choices and easy access to government handouts creates welfare recipients.

If the value of their labor didn't go up, why pay them more? More importantly, why pay them $15 an hour? Are they going to become more productive? Can the owner raise prices to maintain his profit margin?

The value of your labor goes up when the value you produce goes up. In most instances it means you get promoted or move on to a better position. Expecting to make more money while providing the same value is silly.
Okay, so you don't want to take inflation into account. The value of your labor goes down if you don't keep pace with inflation, no matter how hard you work.

Don't start a business, Marty, and expect to find someone that will work for you for $3.25 an hour.

We pay in food stamps or higher costs. I rather not fuck up the entire system so a few bums can get artificially high wages.

So you prefer welfare then.

If you care to dispute claims in the OP, some basis other than your emotions would be in order.
Are you calling Ritu Shah Burnham a liar?

Well the increase has hardly even taken effect. It will be years before it reaches $15. There is no way that a few cents increase to minimum wage workers is causing noticeable inflation. And a few cents increase shouldn't make it so a business goes under. They were in trouble already obviously. The claims of the article are obviously false.
So it's better to force a marginal business to fail, thus kicking EVERYONE out of a job?

If this small increase is putting them under they were going under regardless.

poor life choices and easy access to government handouts creates welfare recipients.

And you think it's better to have welfare rather than increasing minimum wage?

And you think it's better to have welfare rather than increasing minimum wage?

I think its better for the people making minimum wage to improve themselves. Raising minimum wage and providing perpetual welfare removes the impetus for that.

Yep. It's a better route than fucking up the entire system of labor costs.
They get double their previous pay everyone else will rightfully demand the same.
What do you think is going to happen to the price of goods when that happens?

They get double their previous pay everyone else will rightfully demand the same.

They aren't getting double. And this only effects low wage earners. I don't expect much of a change in price of goods. Historically that has been the case.

They aren't getting double. And this only effects low wage earners. I don't expect much of a change in price of goods. Historically that has been the case.

The current Federal minimum is $7.25. Your side wants $15 as the minimum. Actually its more than double.

And when those people making $15 an hour become minimum wage workers, you don't think they will press for more $$? How did they all of a sudden become worth the same as a burger flipper?

They want fifteen an hour. Thats double.
And I notice you didnt address the need to raise all other wages accordingly.

My brothers daughter got her first job at Chipotle, acts like she won the lottery he says.

Just business 101. Labor is a big cost of doing business. If you don't want to pay your workers a living wage, then close the doors and do something else with your life. Well, business owners can always hire cheap illegal immigrant labor. They'll work for $20.00 a day, which is twice what they earned in their home country. Either pay workers a living wage, or hire illegal immigrant labor, a very simple choice. Or, just close the doors and retire with all the money cheap labor enabled you to make over the years.

Where are you finding these illegals who'll work for twenty bucks a day?
I'm NOT finding them. I'm NOT looking for them. But, they'll work for cheaper wages than American citizens. Just ask landscapers, contractors, motels, and others that hire them. Ask farmers, meat packaging plants, and others.

Forum List

Back