Movies that Could Never be Made in Today's Hypersensitive PC Culture

Well its not a movie, but the Archie Bunker show is a good example. This wouldn't fly today.

Of course it would. It seems you don't understand what that show (and that character) was all about.

It was about Archie being the lovable but racist dad that we all should strive not to become ourselves. In truth, it blew up in their faces. They tried to send a message through Archie but people related to him, loved him, and in many cases, sided with him. You should read this article titled Three TV Villains That the Audience Turned into Hero's.

Three TV Villains That the Audience Turned Into Heroes - Taki's Magazine
All in the Family tried to “downgrade” Bunker and “upgrade the hippie son-in-law” and America agreed, much to Norman Lear’s chagrin. All in the Family, Family Ties, and Duck Dynasty were all created by liberal snobs to denigrate American values, and they all backfired.

Instead of tsk-tsking Archie Bunker’s uncouth vocabulary, America laughed their heads off. Today the armchair in which he said his lines is a mainstay at the National Museum of American History. People loved Archie Bunker and hated Meathead because they knew boomer liberals were full of shit. Even Sammy Davis, Jr. was in the Bunker bunker.

While Meathead took classes in “My Father-in-Law is Wrong About Everything,” his father-in-law was down at the docks busting his ass or risking his life driving a cab in New York City. He did this to put a roof over all of his family, including his smug son-in-law....

I’d like to see one of these modern Meatheads try that for a week. America knows that the Archie Bunkers are the ones we can rely on.

Blazing Saddles could be made again without any problems, because it made fun of the racial mores of the times.

Blazing Saddles could be made again without any problems, because it made fun of the racial mores of the times.

If Mel Brooks (The Director of Blazing Saddles) says it couldn't be made in 2012 I tend to believe him. He had a hard enough time making it in 74.

Blazing Brooks: Mel Says 'Saddles' Couldn't Be Made in 2012

"It couldn't be made today," Brooks tells Kimmel flatly before launching into a classic story about an early preview of the film, and how a man high up at Warner Bros. told him to make some major cuts ... or else.

"We had this preview, people went crazy. They laughed, they enjoyed it. Afterwards, he grabs me by the collar and shoves me into an office ... and he says, “Okay, here’s a legal pad, here’s a pencil, take these notes...”

“N-word, OUT! We don’t say it. No punching a horse. Noooo punching a horse. Around the campfire, cut out the farting… out! It's out! You can’t punch an old lady. Lily von Schtupp and the black sheriff … you can’t – OUT, OUT.”

So, OK. I said “Yes, sir, it’s gone. It never happened. Come back tomorrow, and it’s all out of the movie.” He leaves, and I crunch it up, and I go all the way across the room and I put it in the waste basket, and John Calley says 'good filing!'”

I had final cut, so I said, 'what do I care?'"

You are correct. Morality standards have relaxed.

Except on race.

Probably to some who were much more "comfortable" seeing some minorities in stereotypical, buffoonish roles. Old customs are often difficult to depart from.
Because buffoonish Caucasian characters, like Jerry Lewis' Nutty Professor and Bill Murray's Carl Spackler, are clearly representative of everyday white people, right?

Well its not a movie, but the Archie Bunker show is a good example. This wouldn't fly today.

Of course it would. It seems you don't understand what that show (and that character) was all about.

Archie openly uses the word "chink" in that video in reference to Asian people. Hes straight up using a racial slur as part of a throw away joke.

A sports caster said "is there a chink in the armor", referring to Jeremy Lin having trouble in that particular game, and he got fired. It wasn't meant to be a racial comment at all, but he still got fired. Don't tell me todays world isn't over the top PC. Things are WAY different today. How can you deny that?

"Chink In The Armor" Fallout: Fired ESPN Employee Writes Long Apology: Gothamist

Last edited:
Except on race.

Probably to some who were much more "comfortable" seeing some minorities in stereotypical, buffoonish roles. Old customs are often difficult to depart from.
Because buffoonish Caucasian characters, like Jerry Lewis' Nutty Professor and Bill Murray's Carl Spackler, are clearly representative of everyday white people, right?

What is your point? The OP is comparing a different era to today. There was a time that minorities(mostly black) were generally typecast and confined to those type of roles with few if no exceptions. If you are over 50 years of age you would know that.

What is your point? The OP is comparing a different era to today. There was a time that minorities(mostly black) were generally typecast and confined to those type of roles with few if no exceptions. If you are over 50 years of age you would know that.
I'm pointing out the clear double standard.

I'm also pointing out that it's not the color of the skin but the thickness of it as well.

I'm also pointing out that it's not the color of the skin but the thickness of it as well.

Indeed, there is a clear double standard. Reverse this situation for example and tell me how it would be received. It would never make it to the box office!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lY2rSYjpFS4]White Chicks Trailer - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

Archie's racial logic - YouTube

Some people called the show racist, but I disagree. Archie Bunker was portrayed as a hard-working, well-meaning but ignorant man whose racist attitude was mocked even by members of his own family. In every dialogue between Archie and Jefferson (or any other Black) Archie always came out the big loser. The show was successful because it made people laugh. They didn't laugh because they agreed with Archie; rather, they laughed because they found what he said to be foolish and funny. I cannot see how a program that ridiculed a racist could be called racist.

And how is there a"double standard" today that has anything to do with social standards of years past?

As far as "color of ones skin", it absolutely DID in years past play a part in roles played by some people.

Has nothing o do with thick or thin skin...at least not to me personally.

Movies that Could Never be Made in Today's Hypersensitive PC Culture

I've got three: What are your suggestions?

Blazing Saddles
Airplane
Disney's Song of the South

You're completely wrong about the first, the second would only be a problem because the part in question is anachronistic, and I have no idea about the third.

I think more people would get their panties in a bunch over Coming to America.

I'll take the directors opinion over yours any day of the week. I]

Illogical.

Forum List

Back