Muscle car guys... holler at me.

Beef_Supreme

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2020
I have recently taken into my possession a 1971 gto. Motor and trans has all been rebuilt and runs beautifully. Head work done, cam, headers, etc. I replaced the convertible
roof. I need to fix the AC. I also want to make it a posi rear. Couple questions for any of you folks...
Do you know any good mechanics/speed shops down here in south Florida? What about AC repair?
I was thinking about installing an Aussie locker in the rear end. Any better suggestions?
Also, the car currently has 15x8 inch rims with 235 wide tires. I like the staggered look, and wanted to go wider in the rear. My options are 275’s or 295’s. I’m not sure if the 295’s will fit the rear. Any thoughts?

I have recently taken into my possession a 1971 gto. Motor and trans has all been rebuilt and runs beautifully. Head work done, cam, headers, etc. I replaced the convertible
roof. I need to fix the AC. I also want to make it a posi rear. Couple questions for any of you folks...
Do you know any good mechanics/speed shops down here in south Florida? What about AC repair?
I was thinking about installing an Aussie locker in the rear end. Any better suggestions?
Also, the car currently has 15x8 inch rims with 235 wide tires. I like the staggered look, and wanted to go wider in the rear. My options are 275’s or 295’s. I’m not sure if the 295’s will fit the rear. Any thoughts?
Handling at high speeds is important...be careful....don't replace safety for looks....Nice car...

Love the 68 GTO...fast car....

1606844241556.png

Picture?

"Wouldn't an AMC Gremlin be more sensible?" ...
I had a Gremlin out run my 68 roadrunner in a quarter mile...talk about a sleeper....

My uncle used to race against a guy named Amos Johnson back in the 70's; IMSA GT and the old Firehawk Series. Johnson drove an AMC Gremlin which always gave my uncle, who raced a BMW 2002, fits. We used to drive up to Lime Rock Park in Connecticut for Memorial Day weekends to watch the races. That Gremlin was fucking fast.

Here's Johnson's #7 Gremlin:

27791139.XspHrPLK.jpg

This is the car when it was featured in a magazine.
Let me find a recent pic. Most of what I have is videos.

Attachments

• 7685FFEF-EF41-40EF-A645-6D955FE73D59.jpeg
    7685FFEF-EF41-40EF-A645-6D955FE73D59.jpeg
    460.4 KB · Views: 37
Beautiful car.
Mine has an edelbrock carb on it right now (I believe, haven’t seen for myself). I still have the q-jet carb.
Should I just leave the edelbrock? Or is there a big performance gain with the q-jet?
I guess I will see how it runs once I take possession.
Don't know about the engine part. I just know I loved driving it and teasing guys to race for pinks (slips) and was always turned down :).
Guys have pick up girls cars. Mine was a tease the guys car. And I met a helluvalot of guys. ;)

Ah. Fun times.

Had one of these too. And a Riviera. Ma kept giving me cars to make me stay away, lol. We didn't like each other much.

"Hey ma. I ran out of money. Car needs gas (or car doesn't run)" and she would wire me money to get another car, or buy gas, or just...stay gone. Which I was happy to do. ;)

1606845669283.png

Handling at high speeds is important...be careful....don't replace safety for looks....Nice car...
Very true.
At some point in the future, I’d like to replace all the brakes for newer discs. As well as replacing/upgrading suspension with BMR products or something along those lines.

295 will not fit, the 275s will be just right
some GTO have the 12 bolt posi, but some have the lighter duty 10 bolt

If it doesn’t have posi, what’s the best way to go about putting a posi in?
I’d rather not hit scrap yards. I’m told an Aussie locker would work well.

If it doesn’t have posi, what’s the best way to go about putting a posi in?
I’d rather not hit scrap yards. I’m told an Aussie locker would work well.
The way to tell if it has a posi is to put the back of the car on jack stands and turn the wheels, if they spin in the same direction it is a posi. Or, you could just do a burn-out. If it leaves two black marks, it's a posi.

168 street auto parts can steer you right . Down in Perrine

Forum List

Back