Muslim flight attendant suspended...

If the baker makes wedding cakes, and would not sell a wedding cake to a gay couple, how can you say the baker sells all products he makes to everyone? You mention homosexual cakes. What are those? I was unaware cakes had sexual orientations. :lol:

I wasn't aware neither. Because I have not mentioned homosexual cake. Have I?

Edit: I did say it. I stand corrected. I meant cake for homosexual wedding.

Let's say that someone goes to Home Depot. They ask about buying some lumber and tools. An employee asks what the things are for and the customer tells them it is for a small stage to be made for a gay wedding. The employee tells the customer they do not sell lumber and tools to be used in homosexual weddings. Aren't the lumber and tools just the same as if they were sold for some other purpose?

Employee at Home Depot doesn't create store policy. His religious beliefs are irrelevant due to the bona fide requirement.

I agree that it seems kind of silly to not realize your religion prohibits you from serving alcohol for two years. On the other hand, I also find it silly how you claim to know what is or is not required of this woman's particular brand of Islam. Just as Christians cannot agree on many details of their religion, leading to the many different sects, so too I would think that adherents of Islam often disagree about the interpretation of their religion. Any major religion is almost certain to have varied interpretations. I doubt that your personal interpretation of the requirements of Islam hold any particular legal standing. ;)

All Islam follows one book, Koran, regardless of "brand". According to Koran, and if you want me to quote it I will, consumption of alcohol is not even forbidden, just discouraged.

*sigh* OK, let's say the owner of a small hardware store decides not to sell the lumber and tools after finding out they are to be used for a homosexual wedding. Are the lumber and tools any different because of what they are to be used for?

Unless you are going to show me a quote from the Koran which says, explicitly, that Muslims are permitted to serve alcohol, I don't see your point. As I said, it's about differing interpretations. In fact, even were you to show me such a passage, I don't doubt that some people would find a way to interpret it to mean something else. If you haven't noticed, that happens with large religions. The same passages mean different things to different people. All the various sects of Christianity follow the Bible, yet still have many disagreements about what that book tells them. What you consider the Koran to be telling Muslims in regards to alcohol is not, obviously, what all Muslims believe.
That's a bit of a stretch. No wood or nails for gheys? That's bigotry.

Another religious beliefs case.

Muslim flight attendant says she was suspended for refusing to serve alcohol

A Muslim flight attendant says she was suspended by ExpressJet for refusing to serve alcohol in accordance with her Islamic faith.

In a bid to get her job back, Charee Stanley filed a discrimination complaint with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission on Tuesday for the revocation of a reasonable religious accommodation.

Yeah, like she didn't know that would happen. Put her in jail with Kim Davis. I can't wait until some more opportunists decide to stop issuing gun permits and liquor licenses. Some religious pharmacists refuse to fill contraceptive prescriptions.
Hey, you assholes started this shit.

How did "we" start this shit?

I put the letters MBA, JD, after my name. The JD means Juris Doctorate or doctorate in law. If you think that people cannot legally obtain marriage licenses when the County Clerk is absent due to illness or vacation or (as in this case) when she is incarcerated, you are a fool.

Frankly, from one MBA to another, you should know the meaning of word "IF" you used. She was not sick, nor on vacation, nor incarcerated at the time. Your JD may give you initial upper hand on legal knowledge, but this MSEE will guarantee you that can find and process information on the subject when its needed. Agree?

Since you're not fool, tell me, is license valid if is not issued by duly elected official's permission? Yes or no.

I certainly do have the whole story, and even more importantly – unlike you - I understand the whole story. Also – unlike you – I place the letters MBA, JD after my name. The JD stands for Juris Doctorate or doctorate in law. Let me break it down for you. When the law says marriage licenses must be issued by the County Clerk, that does not mean that only the person elected to that position has the authority. It means that the elected person has the duty and authority to perform such ministerial duties and can delegate such authority to others. Further, every government agency has rules to insure the orderly continuation of essential services when an elected official is incapacitated. Do you seriously think that marriage licenses are not processed when the clerk is on vacation or is incapacitated due to illness or injury?

Read bold, then answer. While she was in the office, did she delegated such authority to others? Yes or no.

I assure you, sir (or madam as the case may be) that each and every one of the marriage licenses issued by her office while she is incarcerated is just as valid ad those which bear her signature. Now I am done with you. Feel free to continue your senseless rantings unopposed by me.

To issue the licenses while she's absent, authority may be delegated to someone else. Who that is depends on rules of that office or voters. Just because she's absent it doesn't mean employees can do whatever they want.

As I understand it the attorney for the county has said that the marriage licenses issued while Mrs. Davis is in prison are legitimate. It certainly doesn't seem to be a case of employees 'doing whatever they want'.

I understand it the attorney for the county has said that the marriage licenses issued while Mrs. Davis is in prison are legitimate.

there seems to be a disagreement on that

A Muslim flight attendant says she was suspended by ExpressJet for refusing to serve alcohol in accordance with her Islamic faith.

In a bid to get her job back, Charee Stanley filed a discrimination complaint with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission on Tuesday for the revocation of a reasonable religious accommodation.

Yeah, like she didn't know that would happen. Put her in jail with Kim Davis. I can't wait until some more opportunists decide to stop issuing gun permits and liquor licenses. Some religious pharmacists refuse to fill contraceptive prescriptions.

stop issuing gun permits

that has happened

Hammering someone because of a wedding cake.

Oh, you mean "equality"...

Oh, you mean "equality"...
Nobody has to provide services. Not baking a cake is bigotry, but it's their right not to bake a cake. Still doesn't make it right.

*sigh* OK, let's say the owner of a small hardware store decides not to sell the lumber and tools after finding out they are to be used for a homosexual wedding. Are the lumber and tools any different because of what they are to be used for?

I know you will find this ridiculous, but in my opinion, owner of the small hardware store has First Amendment rights just like everyone else and can sell or not sell his goods to whoever he wants.

Unless you are going to show me a quote from the Koran which says, explicitly, that Muslims are permitted to serve alcohol, I don't see your point. As I said, it's about differing interpretations. In fact, even were you to show me such a passage, I don't doubt that some people would find a way to interpret it to mean something else. If you haven't noticed, that happens with large religions. The same passages mean different things to different people. All the various sects of Christianity follow the Bible, yet still have many disagreements about what that book tells them. What you consider the Koran to be telling Muslims in regards to alcohol is not, obviously, what all Muslims believe.

Koran 16.67 “And of the fruits of the date palms and the grapes, you obtain alcoholic drinks and goods. Verily in that is a sign for a people who use their understanding.”

Muslim 37.53 “We were with the prophet of Allah and he was thirsty. And a man said: ‘O prophet of Allah, do you want to drink wine?’ Prophet of Allah said: ‘Yes’. The man went to get the wine. The prophet of Allah said: ‘Make it intoxicated’. And he drank.”

Quran 4:43 “Do not approach prayers while you are drunk.”

There are more examples, but for start these will do.

In Islam, "haram" means forbidden by god. These passages shows that drinking alcohol are not considered "haram" as claimed by some. In Koran, consumption of pork meat is "haram". And still there are exceptions when eating pork meat is allowed.
The last one I quoted sounds like an advice not to drink as long as you don’t do your prayers drunk. Talking to god with a double tongue is forbidden, but isn't saying its forbidden when not praying.

Satisfied?

I respectfully disagree. I don't think you have the full story.
However, your story is not complete neither.

If all she did was refuse to issue marriage licenses to gays, there shouldn't have been a problem. She could have advised others in her office that her faith prevented her from issuing licenses to gays and then asked them to help her by filling in for her when she needed them. When a gay couple came in, she could have discreetly absented herself and allowed another person to issue the license.

Read bold letters. you said it yourself, it's her office. Sh'e elected to clerk position by the people.

Snip

The problem is that she wouldn't allow anyone in her office to issue the license and this makes “reasonable accommodations” impossible.
Licenses can be issued by duly elected clerk only. Since it's her office that she was elected to run, ultimately as long she's elected clerk, every license that is issued without her permission, can be null and void and reissued by newly elected clerk.

Now, I am not defending her for not issuing licenses. By refusing to follow judges orders, she IS breaking the law. However, it's completely different issue for not allowing her employees to issue licenses in her name.

The judge did the only thing he could possibly do. His job was to enforce the law and the law said that the Clerk's Office would issue marriage licenses. The law also gives gays the same rights to marry as heterosexual couples. The judge wisely refused to let her off with a fine. The judge knew the fine would not change her behavior because she would probably not pay the fine herself and would most likely profit by the affair.

Actually, the First Amendment right supersedes the law. She's not booked for breaking the marriage laws, she's locked up for contempt of court.
the office of county clerk does not have first amendment rights - and her first amendment rights do not allow her to ignore her oath of office or deny rights to others.
Every us citizen enjoyes1st amendment rights regardless of the ir occupation.
i have not claimed otherwise.

that is factually inaccurate. again, he refused to sell a wedding cake - a product he made - to a couple because they were homosexual. this is a fact, it is not debatable.

You keep saying that. Just because you think something is a fact, and saying it's not debatable, it doesn't make it so.

You may keep twisting it any way you want, but as I said already, they were not refused service "because they were homosexuals". Baker refused to sell a cake for homosexual wedding, the event that's against bakers religious beliefs.

but wedding cakes are. he would not sell a product he made to the couple because they were gay. again, that's a fact. not debatable.
Nope, not "because they are gay", but what is used for. It's not my problem that you can't see the difference.

no, i'm saying she's not discriminating because she wasn't. she was not going to handle alcohol for anyone no matter who they were. the customer was not discriminated against.

Actually, she was discrimination against people who drink alcohol. Her employer offers alcohol to their customers. Last time I checked, drinking alcohol is not illegal unless you're underage.

what is a homosexual cake?
Yeah, you know exactly what I meant, but you chose to keep playing dumb. Beside, I already explained this earlier.

this sentence makes no sense. if his religious beliefs are discriminatory and he follows them he is discriminatory.
In some way, yes. But if you look little further, the religion was discriminating against gays long before the law was enacted. And we both know what law of the land says: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof..." You keep ignoring that part.

she worked for a time without issue not handling alcohol. the airline agreed to the accommodation and then changed their minds. how is she trying to skim money?

The employer may have agreed to the accommodation, and they may have changed their mind. You see, I have a friends who are an airline pilots. Let's say one of them converted to Islam and due to his newly adopted religious beliefs refused to fly at certain times of day and suddenly demands cockpit accommodation to face Mecca and pray. What's your opinion, should he get it?
if you refuse to acknowledge what actually happened you can't be helped. you insist on creating a fantasy scenario where wedding cakes aren't wedding cakes and undisputed statements of facts are somehow open to debate.

As I understand it the attorney for the county has said that the marriage licenses issued while Mrs. Davis is in prison are legitimate. It certainly doesn't seem to be a case of employees 'doing whatever they want'.

We're talking about two separate things, before she was locked up and after.

While she was in the office, she was within her rights to run the office her way, meaning that only valid licenses were those issued with her permission. If anyone issue the license without her permission, that explains "doing whatever they want". Note that I not saying she's not at fault, I am talking about validity.

After her incarceration, someone else is in charge of office. I don't know who, its up to the voters to decide, or to the office manuals. I don't know, what if she died while in the office, there must be some rule who's next to run it.

I put the letters MBA, JD, after my name. The JD means Juris Doctorate or doctorate in law. If you think that people cannot legally obtain marriage licenses when the County Clerk is absent due to illness or vacation or (as in this case) when she is incarcerated, you are a fool.

Frankly, from one MBA to another, you should know the meaning of word "IF" you used. She was not sick, nor on vacation, nor incarcerated at the time. Your JD may give you initial upper hand on legal knowledge, but this MSEE will guarantee you that can find and process information on the subject when its needed. Agree?

Since you're not fool, tell me, is license valid if is not issued by duly elected official's permission? Yes or no.

I certainly do have the whole story, and even more importantly – unlike you - I understand the whole story. Also – unlike you – I place the letters MBA, JD after my name. The JD stands for Juris Doctorate or doctorate in law. Let me break it down for you. When the law says marriage licenses must be issued by the County Clerk, that does not mean that only the person elected to that position has the authority. It means that the elected person has the duty and authority to perform such ministerial duties and can delegate such authority to others. Further, every government agency has rules to insure the orderly continuation of essential services when an elected official is incapacitated. Do you seriously think that marriage licenses are not processed when the clerk is on vacation or is incapacitated due to illness or injury?

Read bold, then answer. While she was in the office, did she delegated such authority to others? Yes or no.

I assure you, sir (or madam as the case may be) that each and every one of the marriage licenses issued by her office while she is incarcerated is just as valid ad those which bear her signature. Now I am done with you. Feel free to continue your senseless rantings unopposed by me.

To issue the licenses while she's absent, authority may be delegated to someone else. Who that is depends on rules of that office or voters. Just because she's absent it doesn't mean employees can do whatever they want.

I understand it the attorney for the county has said that the marriage licenses issued while Mrs. Davis is in prison are legitimate.

Well Mrs. Davis and her attorney disagree. That's pretty much expected, however. Unless they sue or go through some other legal process to try and nullify the issued marriage licenses, I think they will remain legitimate.

I know you will find this ridiculous, but in my opinion, owner of the small hardware store has First Amendment rights just like everyone else and can sell or not sell his goods to whoever he wants.

Koran 16.67 “And of the fruits of the date palms and the grapes, you obtain alcoholic drinks and goods. Verily in that is a sign for a people who use their understanding.”

Muslim 37.53 “We were with the prophet of Allah and he was thirsty. And a man said: ‘O prophet of Allah, do you want to drink wine?’ Prophet of Allah said: ‘Yes’. The man went to get the wine. The prophet of Allah said: ‘Make it intoxicated’. And he drank.”

Quran 4:43 “Do not approach prayers while you are drunk.”

There are more examples, but for start these will do.

In Islam, "haram" means forbidden by god. These passages shows that drinking alcohol are not considered "haram" as claimed by some. In Koran, consumption of pork meat is "haram". And still there are exceptions when eating pork meat is allowed.
The last one I quoted sounds like an advice not to drink as long as you don’t do your prayers drunk. Talking to god with a double tongue is forbidden, but isn't saying its forbidden when not praying.

Satisfied?

You don't seem to understand my point.

That you consider those passages to mean Muslims can drink and serve alcohol does not mean others cannot easily interpret them differently. I think it is clear that many Muslims do interpret those passages differently. They certainly do not say, in clear terms, Muslims can drink alcohol or Muslims can serve alcohol. Even if they did, I think the history of religious disputes shows that some people will argue even the clearest-seeming statements from holy books.

Your claims that the Koran says something and no other meaning can be gleaned is no more than a personal opinion. Add to that the fact that there are other passages in the Koran which do seem to call for Muslims to avoid alcohol, such as 5:90 "O you who have believed, indeed, intoxicants, gambling, [sacrificing on] stone alters [to other than Allah ], and divining arrows are but defilement from the work of Satan, so avoid it that you may be successful." and clearly, making a claim that Muslims are permitted to drink alcohol is not some kind of authoritative statement.

If religions were as cut and dried as you seem to want to make Islam out to be, we wouldn't have had many of the internecine religious struggles that have and continue to occur around the world.

if you refuse to acknowledge what actually happened you can't be helped. you insist on creating a fantasy scenario where wedding cakes aren't wedding cakes and undisputed statements of facts are somehow open to debate.

I asked you to show the facts. You posted link on the baker's interview and debunked yourself.

Baker clearly said, he sell his product to gays on regular basis, he refused to bake the cake for homosexual wedding. The only fact here is that you keep repeating the lie about what baker said. He didn't say he denied service "because they're gays", those are your words to make it fit your agenda.

Homos can get wedding cakes from a gay baker or someone willing. They're forcing their perversion on someone who wants one part of it. We need separation of fag and straight codified like you claim separation of chinch and state. Fair is fair.

Well Mrs. Davis and her attorney disagree. That's pretty much expected, however. Unless they sue or go through some other legal process to try and nullify the issued marriage licenses, I think they will remain legitimate.
That would show her for what she really is....

If all she did was refuse to issue marriage licenses to gays, there shouldn't have been a problem. She could have advised others in her office that her faith prevented her from issuing licenses to gays and then asked them to help her by filling in for her when she needed them. When a gay couple came in, she could have discreetly absented herself and allowed another person to issue the license.

Read bold letters. you said it yourself, it's her office. Sh'e elected to clerk position by the people.

Snip

The problem is that she wouldn't allow anyone in her office to issue the license and this makes “reasonable accommodations” impossible.
Licenses can be issued by duly elected clerk only. Since it's her office that she was elected to run, ultimately as long she's elected clerk, every license that is issued without her permission, can be null and void and reissued by newly elected clerk.

Now, I am not defending her for not issuing licenses. By refusing to follow judges orders, she IS breaking the law. However, it's completely different issue for not allowing her employees to issue licenses in her name.

The judge did the only thing he could possibly do. His job was to enforce the law and the law said that the Clerk's Office would issue marriage licenses. The law also gives gays the same rights to marry as heterosexual couples. The judge wisely refused to let her off with a fine. The judge knew the fine would not change her behavior because she would probably not pay the fine herself and would most likely profit by the affair.

Actually, the First Amendment right supersedes the law. She's not booked for breaking the marriage laws, she's locked up for contempt of court.
the office of county clerk does not have first amendment rights - and her first amendment rights do not allow her to ignore her oath of office or deny rights to others.
So not baking a friggen cake makes destroying their business fine and dandy?

Seems to me there is a massive lack of tolerance coming from the left.....and isolated cases on the right. The only problem is the establishment is pushing a gay agenda with the help of the courts, the media, and in some cases, the government. Anyone who gets in their way gets destroyed.......for a good cause of course.

I asked you to show the facts. You posted link on the baker's interview and debunked yourself.

Baker clearly said, he sell his product to gays on regular basis, he refused to bake the cake for homosexual wedding. The only fact here is that you keep repeating the lie about what baker said. He didn't say he denied service "because they're gays", those are your words to make it fit your agenda.
that you believe my link 'debunked' my statements of fact is a commentary on your comprehension ability, not on the facts. again, i can't hel you to understand if you refuse to accept reality

Snip

So not baking a friggen cake makes destroying their business fine and dandy?

Seems to me there is a massive lack of tolerance coming from the left.....and isolated cases on the right. The only problem is the establishment is pushing a gay agenda with the help of the courts, the media, and in some cases, the government. Anyone who gets in their way gets destroyed.......for a good cause of course.
i understand having a problem with the public accommodation laws. that's a legitimate argument.
but i don't think it's right to claim that enforcement of the law is somehow a lack of tolerance.

Forum List

Back