My dog is aging rapidly before my eyes. It's killing me to watch.

With all I am going through myself it is difficult to process it all. This year has been hell and it won't get any better barring a miracle. :( If the Good Lord must take him, may he do so peacefully and without pain.
yeah ... its sad to watch a loyal friend rapidly age ... its that way with dogs one day theyre fine and energetic and then you start to notice them slowing down .. it happens fast .

yeah ... its sad to watch a loyal friend rapidly age ... its that way with dogs one day theyre fine and energetic and then you start to notice them slowing down .. it happens fast .
He is struggling at times and wants constant comfort from me so I know he has severe aches. I spent alot of money on his diet and supplements but they can't defeat age. All.of this as I have to deal with the B.S I am dealing with now

Last edited:
WWhen our 14 year old border collie died, our neighbour brought over a framed picture of her. Printed around the frame it said:

Thanks for everything.
I had a wonderful time!
------------------------------------

Grow with the sadness to come and you'll be better for it!

He is struggling at times and wants constant comfort from me so I know he has severe aches. I spent alot of money on his diet and supplements but they can't defeat age. All.of this as I have to deal with the B.S I am dealing with now

Most importantly, IMHO, is to know when to say goodbye.

I had to let go of my beloved a little over a year ago, at the age of 17, but I felt that demanding every last ounce of life from her as she got blinder, deafer, sicker and more confused and scared, would be selfish of me.

It's hard. The hardest part is the total unfairness of the fact that we have them for such a short time.

Have you taken him/her to the vet?
When my last boxer passed away she was in pain and the vet gave us a prescription for pain.
It's a mild one to be sure but it's the same thing they give to people.
It made a huge difference for my Boxer.
He doesn't yelp, he is just very sluggish. Tje costs for a vet are absurd in Canada as we aren't a very warm nation of citizens. For a home visit and minor tests I was looking at approx. $1000-$1200 and that is just to find out if something is wrong! It is age, nothing I can do about it. :(

He doesn't yelp, he is just very sluggish. Tje costs for a vet are absurd in Canada as we aren't a very warm nation of citizens. For a home visit and minor tests I was looking at approx. $1000-$1200 and that is just to find out if something is wrong! It is age, nothing I can do about it. :(

Pets are expensive in the US as well.
We spent well over $15K to save our two new Boxers pups 4 or 5 years ago when they got into some Sago Palm cuttings that I told the gardener to get rid of and specifically told him they were poisonous to dogs.

If you are fortunate, he has something like renal failure. My terrier went from energetic to gone in about a month, from renal failure. From what I could tell, he just got very tired. He never showed any distress until just an hour before he left me. I was grateful that he wasn't in pain.

Please let us know how he progresses.

How old is he? I have a cat that I call a friend (he's not a "pet") who is in his final years. I know he won't be here in a year or two, but I'm glad to spend all the time I can with my little buddy while he's here

Forum List

Back