My grandkids continually mock me

They laugh because I don't understand the latest technology.

While they have to Google how to boil an egg?
...................................................................................................................................
It is a matter of perspective I suppose. Which is worse?

Young people today learn by googling, they are completely dependent on this whereas in the past the young learn by watching and modeling their elders.

...................................................................................................................................
Get the last laugh: Ask them to dial a rotary phone and call you or take their phone and ask basic questions about science or history.

Yes, my granddaughter can be a bit condescending in her patience with me when it comes to certain functions on my phone and such--I grew up without things like computers and cell phones. We didn't even have television until I was in high school and then it didn't come on til something like 6 a.m. and signed off with the National Anthem and planes flying through the air at midnight.

But when I asked my granddaughter to get the colander out of the cabinet, she had no idea what that was.

Where can you get a Rotary Phone?
Lot's on eBay

1721067644662.png

In general, a rotary phone won't work on modern phone lines. Even older touch-tone phones won't work. They draw too much current.

In general, a rotary phone won't work on modern phone lines. Even older touch-tone phones won't work. They draw too much current.

I have a corded touch-tone phone which works perfectly fine.

Without power, even.

In a prolonged power-down situation, I'd have one of the very few phones in town that work.

See an old person complain about how their kids can't do something.

Then ask them if they taught their kids do that.

Watch the old person sputter and evade.

Someone failed there, and it's not the kids.
"Teach your children. Use words if necessary."

My kids have watched me for decades and they still don't get it. Maybe because their peer group has more credibility than I do. :biggrin:

Dozens of people have commented on my health and youthfulness over the years, including a doctor. Not one has ever asked me how I do it.

I have worked for the same company for over 40 years and have developed many great methods and techniques, including tools, to make the job easier, faster, and better. Not one of my methods has ever been copied by other employees.

It's a foible of human nature.

Last edited:
My kids have watched me for decades and they still don't get it. Maybe because their peer group has more credibility than I do.
When I was a kid all my friends were way smarter than my parents.
..................................................................................................................................................

Yes, my granddaughter can be a bit condescending in her patience with me when it comes to certain functions on my phone and such--I grew up without things like computers and cell phones. We didn't even have television until I was in high school and then it didn't come on til something like 6 a.m. and signed off with the National Anthem and planes flying through the air at midnight.

But when I asked my granddaughter to get the colander out of the cabinet, she had no idea what that was.
I keep my colander on my desk. :auiqs.jpg:

Forum List

Back