My letter to the RNC.

Oldguy

Sep 25, 2012
Texas
I just sent the following message to the Republican National Committee:

Here's a demographic you can capture right now: Smokers. I'm one, and though I've voted Democrat in the past 3 elections and am not a single issue voter, I HAVE had enough of higher tobacco taxes! As you well know, the President is proposing even more tobacco taxes in his budget request and its high time the nanny-staters find some other whipping boy to pillage. Why not get out front on this tax right now and style it as an issue of fairness, which it is?

Almost 1 in 5 adult American's still smoke, which equates to a potential 40 million + voters. The GOP doesn't have to be pro-smoking to be pro-fairness and you have the opportunity right now to attract perhaps millions of votes simply by standing up for the right of smokers not be continually raped by those who claim to know what's best for them. There is little to be lost by opposing the health-Nazi's and much to be gained.

Will you?

I've tried to quit sooooo many times, i'm just a weakling! :)
Ya...it seems everytime you turn around they're raising the tax on cigarettes!
I roll my own cigs now...so much cheaper, and you get used to them. I spend about $7.00 a week doing it this way. So the tax thing probably won't hurt me that much, but it still isn't fair that we
get the raw end everytime the gov't needs a little more money!

Heck...I even tried the e-cigs, they worked pretty good, and now i find out they have something that's a chemical in anti-freeze. Can't win!!

I've tried to quit sooooo many times, i'm just a weakling! :)
Ya...it seems everytime you turn around they're raising the tax on cigarettes!
I roll my own cigs now...so much cheaper, and you get used to them. I spend about $7.00 a week doing it this way. So the tax thing probably won't hurt me that much, but it still isn't fair that we
get the raw end everytime the gov't needs a little more money!

Heck...I even tried the e-cigs, they worked pretty good, and now i find out they have something that's a chemical in anti-freeze. Can't win!!

Wrong. The tobacco you're rolling is technically called pipe tobacco, which the smoke-Nazi's know very well they missed during the last tax increase. They raised the taxes on loose cigarette tobacco by 2500% last time, but didn't raise it on pipe tobacco. So..the sellers of cigarette tobacco simply re-labeled theirs as pipe tobacco and we've all been smoking cheaply ever since.

Rest assured...they won't make that mistake again.

Here's a demographic you can capture right now: Smokers. I'm one, and though I've voted Democrat in the past 3 elections and am not a single issue voter, I HAVE had enough of higher tobacco taxes! As you well know, the President is proposing even more tobacco taxes in his budget request and its high time the nanny-staters find some other whipping boy to pillage. Why not get out front on this tax right now and style it as an issue of fairness, which it is?

Almost 1 in 5 adult American's still smoke, which equates to a potential 40 million + voters. The GOP doesn't have to be pro-smoking to be pro-fairness and you have the opportunity right now to attract perhaps millions of votes simply by standing up for the right of smokers not be continually raped by those who claim to know what's best for them. There is little to be lost by opposing the health-Nazi's and much to be gained.

Will you?

You're gonna ditch the dems because they want to increase your cig tax?

smoking increases the cost of your care on society.

making you pay the costs of your actions is completely reasonable

Bullshit. If the health-Nazi's are correct, I'll die sooner and that will actually SAVE you money in the long run. Moreover, if WE can be heavily taxed to offset the cost of our behavior, so can any other behavior deemed to be "unhealthy."

In fact, we can already see that happening with sugary drinks and junk food.

Where does it stop? How about right here, right now? The GOP could help themselves by opposing any further "health" taxes, and God knows they can use all the help they can get.

Will you?

Yup. 'Fraid so. That doesn't mean I'll support every idiotic thing the GOP proposes, but I've had enough of the health-Nazi's.

How about you?

heres a noel ideas for the republican party.

Try to craft ideas that the American people will actually agree with accrossed a braod spectrum.

Why are you hijacking oldguy's thread?

It's not a hijack. Stridently opposing any more nanny-state stuff like this would actually be something a broad spectrum of people can get behind. It's not just smokers who are feeling the busy-bodies breathing down our neck now, is it?

Will you?

Yup. 'Fraid so. That doesn't mean I'll support every idiotic thing the GOP proposes, but I've had enough of the health-Nazi's.

How about you?

I don't smoke but I agree with you that govt shouldn't be imposing sin taxes.

Pay the bill of your actions.

quit expecting the government to stpep in when your bad choices come to fuition

you may die a long and horrible death due to the smokes.

How do you make sure that guy who lives in the park and spends half of what he begs fr on cigs dpoes not end up costing the society big bucks in his last two years of life?

You makehim pay for it with taxes on the product HE CHOOSES to use.

Extrapolate that idea onto any other behavior which might lead to higher healthcare costs and see what you get.

Start with gasoline, which obviously enables people to get hurt or killed in car wrecks. How much should we increase gas taxes to discourage driving?

Another: How much taxes should we impose on cup cakes to discourage obesity? Or, on Mountain Dew to discourage bad teeth?

The list is endless, isn't it?

Will you?

I'm a smoker who does not share your view, so it would not capture my vote. And I've voted Republican or Libertarian in every presidential election except the last two.

I hope they raise the tax to $20 per pack. Anything that deters people from smoking is a good thing imho.

I believe it was Phillip Morris that made the argument in the states cases against big tobac that cigarettes actually were economically good things, because inevitably most all of us die of expensive illnesses regardless of smoking or how long we live, e.g. is Alzheimers or Parkinsons really less expensive than lung cancer, and with smokes you typically die ten years earlier and don't cost soc sec and medicare anything.

Just saying. Still, it's PC to tax tobac. I don't see either party as having any high ground on taxes.

So you are offering a group you've never voted for advice on how to get your vote? And in that you're complaining about a user tax on cigarettes while advocating to rob people's income for all the big government you like?

:lmao:

Is this a fucking joke?

Forum List

Back