Names

Unkotare

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2011
Students will arrive on Wednesday and the challenge begins. One of the toughest parts of a new year for me is remembering the name of every student in 6 classes of at least 30+. I'm bad with names to start with, and it's a lot to remember in a short time.

Students will arrive on Wednesday and the challenge begins. One of the toughest parts of a new year for me is remembering the name of every student in 6 classes of at least 30+. I'm bad with names to start with, and it's a lot to remember in a short time.
That is your job.
I did it for 40 years.
I always learned ALL of their names within a FEW days.

Toughen up buttercup, you have a job to do.

What grade(s) do you teach?

How correctly do you get all the names, brah? What's your percentage?

High school.
Some sort of alternate HS I suppose? You got a new story every month. Night school, they flew in to get you to move to CA for a online school, wrestling coach at nights? Handing out Sandwhiches to girls? And the real kicker, past students allowed in to roam the hallways and come in classrooms a year later? Huh? What about security?

Some sort of alternate HS I suppose? You got a new story every month. Night school, they flew in to get you to move to CA for a online school, wrestling coach at nights? Handing out Sandwhiches to girls? And the real kicker, past students allowed in to roam the hallways and come in classrooms a year later? Huh? What about security?

Students usually stop by during lunch or after school, but sometimes their teacher in study hall or whatever writes them a pass.

Sorry if my having a lot going on confuses you.

That's sort of what many of the students do. A lot of students just call me "mister."
I'm terrible with names and Im a salesman! not good when i forget client names.
I apologize and say "im sorry I never was good at recalling names , but i do remember the details" ( of whatever).. It humanizes you, takes the pressure off having to recall, and shows the students you do care about them as individuals..

Don't you employ standard memory retention practices?

For example, you go around the room and have each student introduce themselves. You say that name, then the next student introduces themself, and you say the first student's name, the current student. And so on until you have gone through the entire class.

Forum List

Back